LGBTQI - We're here, we're...you know the rest of it

karaddin

I don't even think Christianity is inherently against the LGBT community. I know plenty of Christians who are completely tolerant.

The first statement is manifestedly false, given both the traditions from which Christianity evolved and the textual evidence.

That doesn't mean the second statement is false or unsupported, of course. Plenty of Christians are LBGT themselves, and there are plenty of LBGT-friendly voices amongst the Christians. But these things exist in spite of the inherent misogynitic anti-gay bias of Christianity (all Abrahamic faiths, really), not because of.

My friend who went missing, is okay. That's what I was hoping for. As for the one in the hospital, the last report I had was Saturday. There had been no improvement.

Robin, I'm so glad to hear it. Big support hugs for your friend and for you.

GD, I've got your totally fun flag cube up, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I may just add it as a facebook photo.

I wanted to tell you that I really liked your story. I share your ex's bi tendencies,so I had a hard time relating to the disturbance you felt initially towards your trans friend.

I have a lot of people through my house who are pretty androgynous. It doesn't bother me, but I realize it bothers other people A LOT. It didn't occur to me that sexual attraction and the importance of identity was one of the reasons for that disturbance. I appreciated your story for giving me some understanding on that point. I've been asked "M or F" about some of my houseguests, particularly during Mardi Gras, and responded with a shrug. As long as they lock the front door behind them, I just don't care. To me, they're all kids anyway.

If you don't mind, I'd like to PM you the rest of this response due to the privacy of my little household. Inigima has vouched for you and he can likewise vouch for me as being discreet. Nothing that the rest of the lovely people here don't know, just want to keep it off a public forum. :)

By the way, good to see you back.

Robin, I'm so glad to hear it. Big support hugs for your friend and for you.

I'm thankful she is okay. I'll do my best to show her she has friends.

My friend in hospital remains the same. The prognosis is not good.

A half hour ago, I learned another friend ended her own life.

The first statement is manifestedly false, given both the traditions from which Christianity evolved and the textual evidence.

The question is to what extent either of these things are inherent to christianity. (I suppose unless you use it in the very literal sense of "inherited" it works, otherwise it becomes much more debatable)

I've had a rough time.

For much of my life I've been drawn to feminine clothing and appearance, but I rarely, if ever got a chance to explore it. Especially considering that my mother's been a bit intolerant of LGBT lifestyles and the rest of my family is actually worse in that respect, that and it would just have been another thing for bullies at school to make fun of me about while I grew up. So it has been an item dancing around in the proverbial closet for nearly most of my life, something to be hidden at all costs. I was caught in a dress a few times by my mother while growing up, and since then there were a few frustrating "discussions" and so it remains somewhat an unspoken elephant in the room with the intolerance still heavily there.

My psyche's in shambles, though. As I already hinted at, I was heavily bullied in school. Every day was one more of torment. Worst of all, the teachers frequently treated it like I was the problem. I was glad when I was finally done with it all. It's the primary source of my dim view of humanity as a whole. As such, I have serious psychological scars that have effectively made me legally disabled. A judge finally ruled in my favor for SSI. I have no idea when all of that back pay will be coming, but I plan to take advantage of it and move out from this closet of seemingly eternal torment. But I need to find a way to do it discretely. Recently, when I made the announcement on my LJ, to my horror my mother receives an email from my uncle "congratulating" me about the SSI ruling. There were a lot of cryptically referenced transgendered details (and a few outright stated) sprinkled throughout that journal, and the fact that my racist, misogynistic, and homophobic uncle found the journal made me feel all the more terrified. I didn't even use my legal name for the damn thing. Nevertheless, I've significantly reduced my Internet fingerprint, deleting the journal, my Facebook, and my Google+.

I suppose at this point where I'm still significantly both depressed and panicked and everything else inbetween, I should request some help and/or advice on my approaching attempt to achieve liberation.

Kojiro - I'm out this morning and not sure what to say right now, but I feel for you and I'm here to talk to. I'll try make a more useful post when I'm home.

I'd try get a new completely unrelated web presence set up and secured, it can be a real lifeline to support along with being an outlet through which to progress things when you are held up in person. Do you have any idea how your uncle may have found you? Is he technically competent?

Yikes. That's creepy. All the hugs, if you want them. :grouphug:

SSI can probably be a big help in getting on your feet, or keeping from drowning anyhow. It kind of sucks for trans people though, because there is a hard savings limit that is way under the cost of surgery, if surgery of some kind happens to be a thing you might want later.

Do you know that he found the journal? You only mention him commenting on the SSI ruling, which it's at least plausible he might have found out by coincidence (one of his friends being at the courthouse the same day maybe?). I don't know. But it sounds like you need to get away, even if only for psychological distance - hell, I had to do that and my parents are pretty supportive. I just couldn't do anything while they were spectators, you know? And you're in a much more stifling situation. While you're waiting for the money to show up, maybe make sure you have a good place to go once you get it? Finding a place can be a pain, especially on SSI level income.

Kojiro - I'm out this morning and not sure what to say right now, but I feel for you and I'm here to talk to. I'll try make a more useful post when I'm home.

I'd try get a new completely unrelated web presence set up and secured, it can be a real lifeline to support along with being an outlet through which to progress things when you are held up in person. Do you have any idea how your uncle may have found you? Is he technically competent?

Yeah... I know how he found me. It was my birthdate of all things. Apparently he was searching for information on a woman with the same birthdate (why he was looking for a 33-year-old woman when he's in his 60s is something I'm not sure I want to know) and my LJ got swept up into the results. He's otherwise mostly an idiot and likely only recognized it was mine through certain pet names and the like that were posted therein.

Nevertheless, it has sent my paranoia into overdrive and it hasn't been a comfortable feeling.

Yikes. That's creepy. All the hugs, if you want them. :grouphug:

SSI can probably be a big help in getting on your feet, or keeping from drowning anyhow. It kind of sucks for trans people though, because there is a hard savings limit that is way under the cost of surgery, if surgery of some kind happens to be a thing you might want later.

Do you know that he found the journal? You only mention him commenting on the SSI ruling, which it's at least plausible he might have found out by coincidence (one of his friends being at the courthouse the same day maybe?). I don't know. But it sounds like you need to get away, even if only for psychological distance - hell, I had to do that and my parents are pretty supportive. I just couldn't do anything while they were spectators, you know? And you're in a much more stifling situation. While you're waiting for the money to show up, maybe make sure you have a good place to go once you get it? Finding a place can be a pain, especially on SSI level income.

As a matter of fact, through a few covert channels I've been trying to locate the possibility of someone in the LGBT community with room for a roommate in my area. But yeah, psychological distance is kind of the goal.

OK that's irritating and upsetting, but much better than if it was something more sophisticated going on. You should be OK with new unlinked accounts with no real details and no names he knows on there.

I also agree with Em on finding your own space being a good thing to work on.

OK that's irritating and upsetting, but much better than if it was something more sophisticated going on. You should be OK with new unlinked accounts with no real details and no names he knows on there.

I also agree with Em on finding your own space being a good thing to work on.

Well, as I said it's something I'm working on, although I will admit I'm going at it in a rather convoluted way. It's something I'd most appreciate help on if anyone knows someone in an area that I'm not willing to name publicly in this thread for fear of triggering another Google result.

a while ago in an LGBT space I ran into a realtor who really tried to sell me on renting this room from a gay couple he knew. it was cheaper than where I'm staying now and not too far away from school (though if I walked I'd have to go through a really dangerous area). But I wasn't sure, I definitely would rather not have roommates I don't already know, and something just seemed ... I was sure it wasn't a good idea but wasn't sure why. He kept talking about how supportive and welcoming an environment it would be because the landlords were gay and they had drag queens and trans people over at parties all the time ... anyway, I declined, saying I already had a space of my own and he should try to offer it to someone who would otherwise have nothing. Then like three minutes later he moves on to talking with another trans woman who was there and he goes into "Well to be honest I don't really understand transgenders" and then to "So, like, do you still have your ... down there?"

Which is exactly what I was afraid of about living with a couple older gay guys. The good old performative acceptance / objectification bait & switch.

I guess my point is just: meet your people, be cool with them, don't hesitate to bail out if it doesn't feel right. and also, I have info for someone who might know where to find a nominally lgbt-friendly room in SE VA, but don't come to SE VA, it sucks.

also, it sounds like you don't have anything to fear from starting new accounts for twitter and stuff. twitter is a good place to gripe about gender and/or gaze longingly at kara and brook's awesome new hair

Archived