Why are we so certain that Azor Ahai will be reborn?

Septon Oberyn

I've noticed that the prophecy of Azor Ahai being reborn is looked on as fact by most of the community. But why? It is a myth that is told in the ASOIAF universe by a religious group, so why are we so certain that it is correct? For some reason the religion of R'hllor is given a higher degree of truth than other religions, it is looked at as something real, whereas the faith of the Seven, or the Drowned God, are looked at as just another religion.

I'm just not sure why we are so certain that SOMEONE must be Azor Ahai reborn, instead of entertaining the fact that Melisandre is just another religious fanatic, much like the High Sparrow or Damphair, who is convinced that the prophecy of her religion is the true one.

What is the evidence that the story of Azor Ahai is actually true and will happen again? The fact that Melisandre says she sees things in the flames? That doesn't make sense. We are constantly reminded that the characters viewpoints are unreliable narrators. Hell, there is a whole theory regarding how Dany might be another Mad King Aerys, but we don't see it yet because we have only seen her story from her point of view. Mel is the opposite. We only see her from other's point of view...others who believe what she does, and so they are biased to believe what she says. This is true until ADWD when we see that actually all of her mystical abilities are tricks. And yet we look past that and decide that her prophecy of Azor Ahai being reborn must be true. But why?

There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.[3]

-prophecy written in the ancient books of asshai, a clash of kings, davos chapter 10

everything fits

Because the legendary hero reborn is a well entrenched fantasy trope that people pretty much take for granted. I'd think it was hilarious if there was no clear AAR and the people shouting random prophecies were just revealed for the nutty fanatics they are.

I think it's more the idea that history repeats itself in different slightly different circumstances.

Whoever becomes the hero in the battle with the Others will be labelled AAR. It doesn't mean he is AAR. He just represents the fulfilment of that prophecy, which is only predicted because of the likelihood of history repeating itself in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that the prophecy of Azor Ahai being reborn is looked on as fact by most of the community. But why? It is a myth that is told in the ASOIAF universe by a religious group, so why are we so certain that it is correct? For some reason the religion of R'hllor is given a higher degree of truth than other religions, it is looked at as something real, whereas the faith of the Seven, or the Drowned God, are looked at as just another religion.

That, my friend, is the right question. I know we are set in a fantasy world where magic plays an important part. Prophecies, magic tricks and myths have some meaning in this story, but they are still that: myths. They can come true, but is not a sure thing. I agree with you, we should start asking why we assume things.

I believe in R'hllor power beacuse I have read about it (Mel's shadowbaby, Beric's multiple resurecction, Cat's resurrection). That does not mean that R'hllor exist in-universe. Magic is real, but the gods may not be. Or maybe the gods are something different that what characters think.

Good point OP. I think there are a lot of prophecies going on in the background of aSoIaF, and it's PROBABLE that at least one will not be fulfilled.

I read a short story a while back on Tor.com that relates I think. Short version is: group of prophets who make murky, poetic prophecies (as usual), some people believe in them but other's think they are nut jobs, one prophet decides to just make a prophecy in clear wording, gives the location and date that a savior like figure will be born, fast forward 25 years: everyone is at the location, pregnant woman are inducing labor to try to be the mother of the savior, every fertile woman from 1000's of miles is there, some have done truly horrible things to get pregnant in time to be the one who births the savior. in the end the prophet realizes why they don't just come right out and give prophecies in easy to understand ways.

I've always wondered if GRRM will do some similar playing around with prophecy tropes.

My suspicion is that every prophecy in the books will turn out to be true, but many of them will be misinterpreted. Just like Mel's visions, but on a larger scale. There will be some sense in which the AAR prophecy is fulfilled, but it won't be by Stannis (or Jon, or anyone else) leading an army with a literal magic sword to slay all the Others.

It's far from certain.

People will fight the Others. Some will lead and some will provide support. It doesn't mean that Azor Ahai will be reborn. He was just the last person to fight against the Others. The ones who lead the fight this time around will become the legends that will be talked about in the future.

Archived