Game of Thrones Spin Offs

Logicsbane

On George's blog a couple of weeks ago, he said he was in the process of developing two shoes for HBO and one for Cinemax. A reader said he "hoped that one of the projects was titled 'Robert's Rebellion"" and George responded "Hope springs eternal".

The old man needs to stop indulging his shoemaking hobby and get back to writing those books.

He should do whatever he pleases honestly and not worry about appeasing fans.

Fine with me, however in that case he should also shut up about how he doesn't like the idea of the series overtaking him or the possibility of someone else finishing the series IF the inevitable happens before the books are finished.

Fine with me, however in that case he should also shut up about how he doesn't like the idea of the series overtaking him or the possibility of someone else finishing the series IF the inevitable happens before the books are finished.

He can say whatever he wants to. He is working hard on the book, but he's stated previously that even before the show and all of his new found fame, he always had other stuff going on while he was writing. It helps him with the creative process to take breaks. Just recently he said while in Germany it gave him an idea of how to kill one of his characters. Also is the fact that his books are about 2-3x the size of an average book, which justifies the 5 year time period it usually takes him between books.

He can say whatever he wants to. He is working hard on the book, but he's stated previously that even before the show and all of his new found fame, he always had other stuff going on while he was writing. It helps him with the creative process to take breaks. Just recently he said while in Germany it gave him an idea of how to kill one of his characters. Also is the fact that his books are about 2-3x the size of an average book, which justifies the 5 year time period it usually takes him between books.

I disagree the first three books were (to me) of much better quality and didn't have those huge gaps between their releases. The FFCDWD train wreck shows (again to me) a lack of restrain, clear storytelling. Everything. The books are just larger because they are full of unnecessary fat like Quentyn Martell. (at least) two Greyjoy POVs too many and Daenerys taking baths for five chapters, which does not justify the release gaps.

Fact is the good man has no one but himself to blame once the show overtakes the books next year and spoils the ending in two years while we are still waiting for WoW.

I always thought that 'Old Nan's Tales' would make a good spin off, starting with her talking about one of her stories to Bran then as Old Nan starts telling the story it begins to trail off into an imaginative world...

So you can get all sorts of tales about the Long Night, Roberts Rebellion, The Andal Landings... anything really.

Doesn't seem to me that is GRRM s intent . It could happen when he's worm food, but I think he will have a climactic ending.

absolutely agree. you don't need 7 (or more) books to SET UP the actual story. Whoever wrote the original post overemphasizes "Les Rois Maudits" as GRRM's influence

Hmm, a lot of nice ideas here for spin-offs.

Let me add to that list:

1. The doom of Valyria (including the Targaryens moving to Dragonstone);
  2. The 2 years prior to the invasion of Westeros by Aegon the conquerer, followed by the conquest of Westeros;
  3. All dunk and egg stories;
  4. The 10 years surrounding the tourney at Harrenhall (so the Mad Kings descent into madness, R+L, Roberts Rebellion, Tower of Joy);
  5. Greyjoy rebellion;
  6. Old Nan's stories.......

He should do whatever he pleases honestly and not worry about appeasing fans.

Well fans do some really nice things for him. Like reading his books and watching the show so that he can write for a living and have things like a house and food. That's not to say we should not be respectful, we should. It's also not to say I don't really love his work I do. Your comment however just dismisses his fans and their opinions and in all honesty a writer has to have readers if they want to stay a writer.

Of course her can say what he wants. "Working hard" is a relative term however. How many people can take off the entire Football season? Also as pointed out by Orphalesion he did not have this huge a gap for his first books. I don't think anyone is saying he should be locked in a room and forced to write x amount of hours per day. Writing is a creative process and doesn't work that way. I do think people would like to see more focus.

The sad thing is that any project that would take place would be ridiculed, criticized and picked apart here by people who assume that what they think should happen is always correct.

If a movie, my thoughts would be a trilogy:

1. Valyria, showing the life and culture, then ending with the doom or Westeros before the Andals, and at the end Aegon and Dragons are rumored

2. Aegons conquest and taking over Westeros

3. Roberts rebellion

I want ALL these stories, but I want them as an HBO series, not a 2-hour screenplay. There's enough being cut for time now. Imagine the skeletal remains of any of these stories being pruned for a theatrical release. It would be unrecognizable.

Compare the 1981 Brideshead Revisited the 11-part BBC TV production to the THING that was cut down into a 2 hour movie version in 2008. Story made little sense and resembled the original material only vaguely. I don't want that for this world I love so much.

Well fans do some really nice things for him. Like reading his books and watching the show so that he can write for a living and have things like a house and food. That's not to say we should not be respectful, we should. It's also not to say I don't really love his work I do. Your comment however just dismisses his fans and their opinions and in all honesty a writer has to have readers if they want to stay a writer.

Of course her can say what he wants. "Working hard" is a relative term however. How many people can take off the entire Football season? Also as pointed out by Orphalesion he did not have this huge a gap for his first books. I don't think anyone is saying he should be locked in a room and forced to write x amount of hours per day. Writing is a creative process and doesn't work that way. I do think people would like to see more focus.

Fans read the books and watch the show because they want to be entertained, not because they're donating to the George R.R. Martin wealth charity or doing him any favors. It's a two way street, he's doing as much for the fans as they are doing for him. So I don't really see it as the fans doing something nice for him as they are consuming his stories for selfish purposes.

That said I think he started something and does have a responsibility to finish it. But I really don't think laziness is the cause of the increased time between books. It's well documented he struggled with where to take the story after book 3 and that cost him some time. Also, he's a bit older now and the success of the show has opened some doors for him so he is spending more time on other projects. He still writes a lot of pages so his per page per year waited is on par with other authors who write smaller books. But I think it's just a tad ridiculous when people see that he took a trip to Germany and are all "SHAME! He should be working on what I want!".

Fans read the books and watch the show because they want to be entertained, not because they're donating to the George R.R. Martin wealth charity or doing him any favors. It's a two way street, he's doing as much for the fans as they are doing for him. So I don't really see it as the fans doing something nice for him as they are consuming his stories for selfish purposes.

That said I think he started something and does have a responsibility to finish it. But I really don't think laziness is the cause of the increased time between books. It's well documented he struggled with where to take the story after book 3 and that cost him some time. Also, he's a bit older now and the success of the show has opened some doors for him so he is spending more time on other projects. He still writes a lot of pages so his per page per year waited is on par with other authors who write smaller books. But I think it's just a tad ridiculous when people see that he took a trip to Germany and are all "SHAME! He should be working on what I want!".

This.

I've never been one to criticise Martin's writing pace, even though I'm more desperate for WoW than ever now that the show has caught up with the books. And while that's partly because I don't think that liking the books means that I have the right to dictate what Martin does with his time, it's mainly because it's pretty obvious to me that it's inevitable that the later books in the series would take longer given the sheer volume of continuity that needs to be maintained from all of the plots and characters established earlier. The first couple of books must have been a joy to write because the work was probably 80% creative freedom to 20% keeping continuity/logic in check. Now that the world, characters and main storylines are established and reaching their conclusions those ratios are probably close to being reversed, so I can understand why it might feel a bit of a slog at this point, and don't begrudge him taking breaks. Completing this series must be like walking up a hill with an ever-steeper gradient.

My point is that is is a two way street as well. Of course we are getting something from him but he gets something from us as well. What I meant is that is ridiculous to state that he doesn't owe anything to his fans. Its a symbiotic relationship that needs both sides. Fans are consumers and while he has every right to say and do as he likes his fans also have the right to voice displeasure when it seems like everything else is taking top priority.

Archived