Was Aegon cut because of Jon Connington?

alienarea

What else could he be for? There's no way he's sitting the throne at the end, as the lost prince returning to right the monarchy is way too cliche for this story. He's going to die, and probably in a way that makes his entire quest seem vain in the attempt. So basically Quentyn reborn, though that does make me wonder if they'll try and combine them in season 6.

He'd be Quentyn reborn if he slips on a banana peel on the way to Storm's End and breaks his neck. I don't expect him to seat the IT, but I think he could have important victories/battles around the board and interact with major characters before his death a la Robb. You know, everything Quentyn didn't do. Just the fact that Aegon made it out of Dance alive puts him above Quentyn territory for me.

Or maybe I just hate Quentyn too much, because I don't think GRRM has it in him to hit that particular level of suckyness again. Like, he caught fart in a bottle with Quentyn, shit lightning doesn't strike twice, etc.

Merging two Targaryens exiled to Essos seeking to reclaim their family throne into just one makes plenty of sense. The audience already has to cope with one of the largest casts of characters on television. Dany and Aegon share the same goals and their stories can easily be merged and end up in roughly the same place. Even if Dany gets the throne on tv and Aegon in the books, it's roughly the same place. It's just simpler.

The exposition on Jon Con alone would have been quite a few scenes. First he's just Griff then Dyrion recognises him and then the audiences needs to learn that he was a Hand of the King, friend of Rhaegar, fought in the rebellion and was exiled and then presumed dead.
Having Tyrion just say all this would be quite clunky dialogue and also would need further explanation to let it sink in.
That's without introducing the Golden Company (Aegon would need an army).

When I first heard that Aegon was going to be cut I was quite disappointed but after thinking about it I think it's one of the better moves the show has done. They could not have done that storyline justice with the resources the show has.

FAegon will make Quentyn look like an effective use of time before this is over. His entire storyline stinks of stupidity.

See, I really can't hate on fAegon that much (don't get me wrong, I'll keep on arguing he came entirely out of the blue despite the "foreshadowing" some people say there was) because I think in some way he is GRRM's way of bypassing the Meereeneese Knot. Like, he realized Dany was stuck there for a while but he needed a Targ to get to Westeros and start wrecking shit. Voila, enter the dragon: Aegon.

TL;DR: Aegon's doing what Dany should've done several books ago, so no hate from me

ETA: Yes, GRRM conjuring a Targ out of thin air to invade Westeros instead of making Dany get there faster is sort of cheating, but I'll take what I can at this point. Hell, just the fact that Aegon went from Volantis to Griffin's Roost without us having dozens of chapters about his travelogues makes me want to praise R'hllor

FAegon will make Quentyn look like an effective use of time before this is over. His entire storyline stinks of stupidity.

That makes me so sad. Despite the hamfisted retcon [because sorry, baby's head bashed against the wall is not foreshadowing] and Varys bizarro lemme spill all my plans like a bond villain speech....I still had high hopes for him, because why else bother to introduce him so late? Unless you're going to do something spectacular really interesting, like unless he isn't fake but is real? And will be a dragon rider?

If none of this is true and he's Quentyn II, he hangs around, has hopefully a more interesting story than poor Q, but it all ends as a dead end of death and no accomplishment, I cannot tell you how much that will suck.

That Aegon is out of the show and Euron is IN the show is like some of the worst news that could exist in terms of where Winds is going....

Jon Connington was not included because he read the scripts for this season and told him to go and fuck themselves. Not enough money in the world would make him do the "creative" things they planned for him.

tl;dr, he's too good for this show.

(creative things = bang Loras).

ETA: No Aegon because Aegon goes where Jon goes and Jon wasn't going to this shitfest.

2 most likely reasons

-Not enough time to show another story, new character, no new background..etc.

-Since we don't know how the story unfolds in book 6-7, we don't know if Aegon dies like Quentyn. See, Quentyn was like a filler for GRRM. He barely moved the main plot. Aegon might have the same problem. I'm quite sure that he will die; his introduction in fifth book is too late for him to be a main character, likely he too will die like Quentyn.

The directors of the show know the main plot lines. Shireen dying for example. They likely also know that Aegon dies as well, so decided to never include him

That makes me so sad. Despite the hamfisted retcon [because sorry, baby's head bashed against the wall is not foreshadowing]

Not to mention how ridiculous a plan to swap a baby would be in the first place since anything other than a total head smashing would make the swap obvious. So Varys knew the Mountain was going to kill the children AND that he'd do it in such a grisly way that would cover his tracks? (Which also meant assuming Tywin wasn't going to have specifically instructed the children to be brought down recognizable as he later said was an oversight on his part?)

That stinks so highly of GRRM indulging himself with a senseless, stupid plot that I don't know how anyone can take it seriously. It was egregiously unnecessary. If the show never sees this storyline it will be all the better for it.

Not to mention how ridiculous a plan to swap a baby would be in the first place since anything other than a total head smashing would make the swap obvious. So Varys knew the Mountain was going to kill the children AND that he'd do it in such a grisly way that would cover his tracks? (Which also meant assuming Tywin wasn't going to have specifically instructed the children to be brought down recognizable as he later said was an oversight on his part?)

That stinks so highly of GRRM indulging himself with a senseless, stupid plot that I don't know how anyone can take it seriously. It was egregiously unnecessary. If the show never sees this storyline it will be all the better for it.

In books, Aegon is very likely a Blackfyre. Not everyone agrees. Or else, it is a "senseless, stupid plot". In any case it is way above D&D average plot complexity (judging by Dorne standard this year).

In books, Aegon is very likely a Blackfyre. Not everyone agrees. Or else, it is a "senseless, stupid plot". In any case it is way above D&D average plot complexity (judging by Dorne standard this year).

I also believe he could be a bastard Targ of some sort, but that doesn't fix the problem of the storyline. It's very existence is problematic and unnecessary.

It doesn't matter who he is, if he ends up like Quentyn Martell, then he will by definition have been pointless. He doesn't appear to be cast in the show, which is further evidence that he is not important or critical to the story. So, one wonders, what the purpose was of introducing such a character....with such a back story, and so many ancillary supporting characters around him...if in the end, he's another Quentyn.

It doesn't matter who he is, if he ends up like Quentyn Martell, then he will by definition have been pointless. He doesn't appear to be cast in the show, which is further evidence that he is not important or critical to the story. So, one wonders, what the purpose was of introducing such a character....with such a back story, and so many ancillary supporting characters around him...if in the end, he's another Quentyn.

To give Tyrion a reason to spend six or seven hundred pages not in Mereen?

Again, not everyone agrees. But I believe his purpose is to restore some order in Westeros and sit the IT, before Daenerys arrives. That way she will look bad with her Dothraki, Unsullied and Ironborns. If he was to die without accomplishing anything, I agree it would be pointless. I would say Quentyn purpose was to insure there could be no peace between Dorne and Daenerys.

Maybe D&D will replace Aegon by Trystane. Marry him with someone, maybe Sansa, and conquer KL. And have Daenerys going directly into attack mode.

See, I really can't hate on fAegon that much (don't get me wrong, I'll keep on arguing he came entirely out of the blue despite the "foreshadowing" some people say there was) because I think in some way he is GRRM's way of bypassing the Meereeneese Knot. Like, he realized Dany was stuck there for a while but he needed a Targ to get to Westeros and start wrecking shit. Voila, enter the dragon: Aegon.

TL;DR: Aegon's doing what Dany should've done several books ago, so no hate from me

ETA: Yes, GRRM conjuring a Targ out of thin air to invade Westeros instead of making Dany get there faster is sort of cheating, but I'll take what I can at this point. Hell, just the fact that Aegon went from Volantis to Griffin's Roost without us having dozens of chapters about his travelogues makes me want to praise R'hllor

Yet it would have been so much easier to simply not have Dany say "The plot may not advance! I have descided to sit on my royal ass in this stinking city in the middle of nowhere nobody cares about! Now fetch my handmaiden who speaks in that really annoying matter!"

All the "wonderful" "character development" she received in Meereen could have used elsewhere.

I enjoyed Faegon, if only because his boat trip was a break of Dany sitting on her ass. But just makign up a new character out of nowhere to do what one of the lead characters was supposed to do and thus not only stealing her thunder, but subjecting us to two storylines that go nowhere...

...that's all kinds of bad and just makes me mad at both Daenerys and Faegon.

As to Jon Con....characters could just adress him as Connington or Griff. They could just make Griff Connington his actual name or something.

You know, people need to stop the "I don't like this plot, hence, it's bad, contrived and filler".

Also, Aegon is cool because...

Hell, just the fact that Aegon went from Volantis to Griffin's Roost without us having dozens of chapters about his travelogues makes me want to praise R'hllor

Jon and Aegon are doing what Dany and Stannis have been SAYING they want to do for the past four books :lol:

You know, people need to stop the "I don't like this plot, hence, it's bad, contrived and filler".

Also, Aegon is cool because...

Jon and Aegon are doing what Dany and Stannis have been SAYING they want to do for the past four books :lol:

Good thing no one is saying that. It's more like "This is bad, contrived, nonsensical, and actively damages other central characters....hence I don't like it"

Good thing no one is saying that. It's more like "This is bad, contrived, nonsensical, and actively damages other central characters....hence I don't like it"

It is contrived. There is no way around that, really, introducing him so late in the game in such an awkward way, without any real foreshadowing. Contrived.

It's not a bad plot, I think it's actually a good plot, very interesting, it's possible that Varys could have switched out the prince as soon as he realized the Lannisters were in the city, he was a baby afterall, not that hard to find a sub around the corner in flea bottom.....but if it leads to a dead end, then it will have been nonsensical, a huge waste of time and effort and page space, a major distraction and more trolling of the reader. Like Quentyn was trolling the reader. Hey, here is this nice prince of dorne...nice guy, reasonable, perceptive, an every man type of guy...and before you know it, he's dead, didn't accomplish anything but waste the reader's time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if Aegon had been introduced during the war of five guys who all lost it would have been too convoluted. While now he can pop up and cause havoc instead of being just another contender. And we're talking about he has two huge books to do shit in, Robb's arc was about that long so I don't see that as a problem either but then again I dug the twist while most hate it so I'm bias.

Archived