Video Games: Deus X-Machinima (E3 Fallout)

Werthead

GoG is selling Shadowrun DragonFall for $4. Go get it if you like rogs at all.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Picked it up and played the first couple of runs, this could be a lot of fun.

In any case it's nice to take a closer interest in this world again after... uh, almost two decades.

Okay, indirectly reminding me of the inexorable march of time makes me slightly less grateful.

So apparently the PC version of Arkham Knight is a train wreck. 30fps locked, huge memory leak issues causing crashes, poor performance in general. Not surprising really. Arkham City ran like ass when it first came out too. Had hoped they'd learn from that but I suppose not. WB's PC ports have all been pretty bad lately. No PC review code prior to launch...they knew this was coming.

Hopefully Steam's new refund system gets a real workout.

Good thing I'm still nowhere near done with Witcher 3. Can just wait till they (hopefully) fix it.

Episode 3 of Tales from the Borderlands comes out today for PC and PS4 and tomorrow for Xbone. I really enjoyed the first two episodes and can't wait to get home to play this one.

On the other hand I played the first episode of the Telltale Game of Thrones game this weekend and was pretty bored. It's the first of their games I haven't enjoyed.

I just finished Oddworld New'n'Tasty. I utterly failed in the slave rescuing department only managing to get the save half of the slaves trophy right at the end. I don't know when I caused over 50 casualties. Anyway, visually it is of course vastly superior to the PS1 games. But I still put Abe's Exoddus at the top. The best thing about the Oddysee remake was the quick save of course. Are they remaking Exoddus? I'll be all over it if they do.

One interesting stat is that according to my trophy list the number of people who have earned the gold trophy for finishing the game is about 2.5% of people who own the game. According to my performance stats in the game I ended up in about 42,500th position for how fast I finished the game and how many Mudokens I saved. And of course you only earn those stats by finishing the game. So if 2.5% = at least 42,500 (I wasn't in last place so it's more than that) then that means the game sold at least 1.7 million on PS4 alone. I imagine Oddworld Inhabitants must be pretty happy with that. I don;t know if multiple plays puts your ID on the lists multiple times, but it would make sense that each list only contains the playthrough data that represents your best performance.

The other thing is that 2.5% completion rate is a terrible completion rate for a game that's been out for a long time. The gold trophy is an automatic unlock for finishing the game, so there is no way anyone finishes without getting that trophy. I get the feeling that games which are on the montly free for PSN+ subscribers would tend to have a low completion rate. I have about 15 games I've accumulated for free from PSN+ and I've only completed Tomb Raider (2013) and New'n'Tasty so far. Though my son finished Bioshock Infinite, so technically that means 3 of my PSN+ free games have been completed, in my house. I am denying myself any further AAA games until I get through more of my PSN+ library. So that means Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are on the yet to buy list. I am also glad that Uncharted 4 is not coming until 2016, and that Rise of the Tomb Raider will not be coming to PS4 until at least 2016, which means there is pretty much nothing to really tempt me in the AAA release schedule for the rest of the year.

Yeah, we downloaded OddWorld when it was free on PS+ back in March but I only played for an hour or so, so far. The only free PS+ game that I have completed is Rogue Legacy, but we've only had PS+ since December.

Just picked up Witcher 3 and plan on starting it up tonight. Pretty excited for it as I haven't played a non-souls-esque game since TLoU, which I pretty much hated.

Is it as pricey in the US as it is in EU-land? It was on "Sale" for €53 which is just ouch.

I'll pick it up eventually, but I'll wait til it goes down a lot, mostly since even if it's ace to play, I just had a hard time with Witcher 2 cos of its insane sexism and "Adventures in boob-land" thing that was just really, really difficult for me to shut out enough to actually enjoy the game. At times it was so bad I wanted my shame pillow so I didn't have to look.

I'll pick it up eventually, but I'll wait til it goes down a lot, mostly since even if it's ace to play, I just had a hard time with Witcher 2 cos of its insane sexism and "Adventures in boob-land" thing that was just really, really difficult for me to shut out enough to actually enjoy the game. At times it was so bad I wanted my shame pillow so I didn't have to look.

Honestly 3 is not any better in that regard.

Sorceresses have to have their boobs half out (or at least a significant amount of cleavage on display) because reasons (maybe they're their power sources and covering them up inhibits their strength?) Every other female NPC in cities is a "strumpet" (That's what the game calls them). Seriously it seems like there's more prostitutes than possible clients in this world. How do any of them stay in business?

The most commonly used insult in the world is apparently "whoreson" which pops up at least once in pretty much every conversation. Considering how common prostitution is in game it's a wonder they've got such an issue with their children.

That being said there are a couple of cool lady characters though. One is playable for short periods at infrequent plot points which is kinda nice. Wish there'd been more of it though.

So apparently the PC version of Arkham Knight is a train wreck. 30fps locked, huge memory leak issues causing crashes, poor performance in general. Not surprising really. Arkham City ran like ass when it first came out too. Had hoped they'd learn from that but I suppose not. WB's PC ports have all been pretty bad lately. No PC review code prior to launch...they knew this was coming.

Hopefully Steam's new refund system gets a real workout.

Good thing I'm still nowhere near done with Witcher 3. Can just wait till they (hopefully) fix it.

Huzzah! Dodged a bullet, it seems. I'm loving Arkham Knight so far. The Batmobile adds a new spark to the gameplay that I didn't even know was missing, (it's fun just driving the damn thing) and the story is super fucking dark. Also the titular villain seems pretty interesting. I'm still trying to figure out who he is, though I've got some ideas.

I picked up my Arkham Knight at Gamestop today. (While there, I noticed that they have a new Vita for $169... is it expected to drop more than that???)

I also got raped by the young girl behind the counter who proceeded to convince me that I needed to drop another $40 on the "season pass." I get that Day One DLC and such is here to stay and I'm guilty of purchasing it. I know that I'll want all the doodads and whistles that come out that should have been in the base game... but I can't believe that as a 37 year old man, I just dropped a Ben Franklin on a Batman video game. :bang:

That's a new low even for me when it comes to DLC... and I was considering the $80 Destiny expansion yesterday!!! :lol:

Episode 3 of Tales from the Borderlands comes out today for PC and PS4 and tomorrow for Xbone. I really enjoyed the first two episodes and can't wait to get home to play this one.

On the other hand I played the first episode of the Telltale Game of Thrones game this weekend and was pretty bored. It's the first of their games I haven't enjoyed.

Yeah, we downloaded OddWorld when it was free on PS+ back in March but I only played for an hour or so, so far. The only free PS+ game that I have completed is Rogue Legacy, but we've only had PS+ since December.

I bought the season passes for TotB and GoT and I am liking both a lot. I'm sure liking GoT by Tell Tale Games a lot more than GoT by David and Dan and HBO.

Suikoden 3 on PSN today :D

Cool! I always wanted to give that game a go. But being 5th gen am I going to be distracted and put off by the low-fi graphics, demonstrating just how shallow I am in not being able to get past it?

Terraria 1.3 trailer. If you don't have this game then fix that. Red has made about 5 new games worth of content since release and instead of charging money for it he's been updating Terraria for free for years. I'm so hyped for this update, there's nothing quite like playing through Terraria from scratch after a big update. It's also great for co-op. You don't even want to know how many hours I have in this fucking gem of a game.

I'm not trying to get you guys riled up or anything, but is it just me or is Fallout 3 bigger than New Vegas? I just feel like there's more shit to do in F3...

The two maps are the same size, but the mountains in NV have a weird barrier around them which prevents you climbing over them. That makes slightly more of the NV map completely inaccessible than the FO3 one (although the FO3 one does have a large chunk taken out of the map because of the river and then they seriously cheat with DC and make large chunks of the city unreachable). The difference is offest by the DLCs though: of the FO3 ones only Point Lookout has a large, new outdoor open-world map. The rest are fairly small and linear (although The Pitt does some nice stuff with vertical level design, but the areas are still tiny). OTOH, of the NV DLCs both Honest Hearts and Old World Blues have quite large outdoor, open-world maps. The creepy town in Dead Money is pretty big as well. Lonesome Road is very linear but the map is quite long and winding.

Also, the difference in quests is massive. Between both the base games and base games + DLCs, New Vegas outstrips FO3 by almost twice. That's slightly illusory because it is not possible to complete all of NV's quests in one playthrough: choosing certain factions shuts off quests associated with other factions. If you choose the NCR or neutrality, you still get about two-thirds of the quests in one playthrough (still more than FO3 in its entirety), you get a bit less with Caesar's Legion.

NV also has a vastly much greater different array of signficiantly varying end states than FO3, and of course way more freedom to actually do what you want to do.

As a total aside, checked out the newest Thief game but it got very mixed reviews, especially on the story part. I couldn't figure out from the reviews which part of "story" people thought was bad, just that it bad (extremely helpful, except not).

The new Thief is okay. It's not awful. Most of the mega-bad reviews come from people comparing it the original trilogy, which was vastly superior in story, scope and freedom (although, due to the monstrously aged graphics, pretty much unplayable today apart from the last one). If that's not important, the new game certainly whiles away a few hours enjoyably enough.

If you want a modern game in a similar ilk, Dishonored and its superb two DLC expansions absolutely wipe the floor with Thief on every level though. Much better plot, characters, level design, graphic design and freedom.

Anyone know if there's a huge difference between the PC and Xbone versions of Batman?

Yeah, the XB1 version actually fucking works [/boom]

Cool! I always wanted to give that game a go. But being 5th gen am I going to be distracted and put off by the low-fi graphics, demonstrating just how shallow I am in not being able to get past it?

Not if the story is enticing enough, fast enough. :D this will be my first go around with this game, so I'll review it here properly once I've gotten my teeth into it.

Started with Arkham Knight today. Batmobile is fun and all, story seems like it'll be interesting, gameplay is great, and i particularly enjoy the multi-takedowns.

Harley Quinn episode is basically four challenge maps with some dialogue, an underwhelming "boss" battle, and two or three Poison Ivy lines/scenes. Typical pre-order BS, i guess.

Oh and i'm really sad the challenge maps are gone. The only thing the series had in terms of replayability.

Started with Arkham Knight today. Batmobile is fun and all, story seems like it'll be interesting, gameplay is great, and i particularly enjoy the multi-takedowns.

Harley Quinn episode is basically four challenge maps with some dialogue, an underwhelming "boss" battle, and two or three Poison Ivy lines/scenes. Typical pre-order BS, i guess.

Oh and i'm really sad the challenge maps are gone. The only thing the series had in terms of replayability.

Do you know how to lower the bridge to Founders Island?

I've left poor Selina at the mercy of Riddler for hours now because I can't get the damn bridge down to complete one of his games...

I played an enjoyed Arkham City - I liked interacting with these familiar villians. I also learnt a bit more about the lore of the world by reading the character background notes (I had no idea there were two Robins!). There was a bit of a WTF moment at the start of the game as I didnt know the background or events leading up to that moment...

I havent played Arkham Asylum or Arkham Origins - do you think a playthrough of these games is worthwhile before playing Arkham Knight?

Do you know how to lower the bridge to Founders Island?

I've left poor Selina at the mercy of Riddler for hours now because I can't get the damn bridge down to complete one of his games...

I'm afraid i don't, no.

I stopped playing after Chinatown, so i probably haven't done it yet.

Archived