ASOIF Guessing Game XVIII: Worst mistakes made by characters - guessing #16

Castellan

ASOIF XVII Guessing Game: Worst mistakes made by characters

You don't have to have sent a list to play, just start guessing.

To play is easy - just post that you want to play in this thread and start working on your list of the 20 worst mistakes made by characters, starting with the most stupendously bad mistake at #1.

Write each mistake on the list like this: Name of character, description of mistake. See rules for more detail.

PM the list to me, Castellan, by Saturday 4 July 10 pm UTC do not post it in the thread. Please title your PM 'Worst mistakes Game - your board name'

Check The Rules below if you have not played a guessing game before. Or check out one of these previous games....

Previous Guessing games and their results:

I. Most Loved Character: Arya Stark
II. Most Hated Character: Ramsay Snow
III. Sexiest Character: Jaime Lannister (male) / Arianne Martell (female)
IV. Most Badass Character: Asha Greyly
V. Funniest Character: Dolorous Edd Tollet
VI. Best Death: Ned Stark
VII. Best Actor/Actress: Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister
VIII. Character You Most Want to Survive: Arya Stark
IX. Most Dangerous Character: Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish
X. Favorite Minor Character: Sandor Clegane
XI. Favorite Historic Character: Dunk
XII. Favorite Dynamic Duo: Jaime & Brienne
XIII. Favorite House Sigil: House Stark
XIV. Most Tragic Character: Theon Greyjoy
XV: Favourite Castles and Strongholds: Winterfell
XVI: Favourite chapters: ASOS Catelyn VII The Red Wedding

The Rules

The game begins by each player sending me a PM with your top 20 lists. Please title them 'Worst mistakes game - Your board name'. Send as soon as you can.

The mistakes have to be specific actions or else specific failures to act - they shouldn't be general character traits. e.g. Cersei 'Try to frame Margaery for adultery' would be OK but Cersei 'Be so mistrustful and paranoid that you make everyone hate you' would not be OK.

The chapter you rank #1 will be given 20 points. After that the chapters in the list get 19, 18, 17 points, so on, until the chapter you put down as your #20 gets 1 point.

In every round (excluding top 5) you'll be given a hint to identify the chapter. You can either gamble by nominating one chapter only, to obtain 5 points for a correct guess, or you can give three choices in order - and for the correct one you'll be getting three, two or one points respectively. Each round will last about 48 hours.

We can discuss scores for final 5 once we get there. You can get an idea by looking at recent games. :)

I think for this game I'd like to drop the special scoring for tied chapters. But if people want to keep it, let me know. Otherwise, for tied chapters, I'll just rank the one that was nominated by the most people higher.

You can join in this game anytime, it doesn't matter if you sent a list on or not. And if you sent it, you don't have to guess if you don't want to. The more lists the better!

Once we start the guessing rounds, I'll add a list of each round's chapter here, and hope I remember to keep it updated. If not, please remind me.

I am hoping to have two guessing games going at once. The other is on 'Who has the Worst attitude in Planetos?' Please consider signing up for both - it will be fun.

Evolving helpful advice will go here:

Restrict to mistakes made in the course of ASOIF please.

A person can be on the list more than once for their different mistakes.

Give me enough info that I can be sure what you are referring to

Signed up so far: (bolded=list sent)

Night'sQueen
Grietnog
Annara Snow

lil' ghost
The Wolf Lord's Daughter
poached egg
Unwashed. Unkempt. Unshaven.
Lord Sapna
Jon's Queen Consort
JuliaH

and a shadow is going to send lists but probably won't enter all the guessing

Please join us...

Signed up so far:

Night'sQueen
Grietnog
Annara Snow
lil' ghost
The Wolf Lord's Daughter

poached egg

Unwashed. Unkempt. Unshaven.

Lord Sapna

Jon's Queen Consort

JuliaH

and a shadow is going to send lists but probably won't enter all the guessing

Please join us...

I like your list and looking at it has reminded me to add a bit of advice into the rules.

Also, to say the mistakes can be failures to act as well as actions.

I want in, but I can't send you a PM with my list (because I'm new I suppose) :crying:

Does anyone know why this is?

Possibly its because you have 0 posts. You could test by going into another forum e.g. General ASOIF and posting a few innocuous comments like I agree or whatever on a couple threads and seeing if that changes anything. Also you could post a request for advice in the Help forum.

Please count me too. I will send the list later.

Question; can we include things from woiaf, rogue, patq, d&e?

As for XV: Favourite Castles and Strongholds: winner to be announced. I have already said that Winterfell was #1 and Eyrie #2 but I had to change my computer so I don't have the statistics for who won.

Please count me too. I will send the list later.

Question; can we include things from woiaf, rogue, patq, d&e?

As for XV: Favourite Castles and Strongholds: winner to be announced. I have already said that Winterfell was #1 and Eyrie #2 but I had to change my computer so I don't have the statistics for who won.

Restrict to mistakes made in the course of ASOIF please. Too many mistakes made in the novellas etc and too many mistakes at the time of Robert's rebellion so do restrict to time period in ASOIF.

The time restriction is different in the Worst attitude game by the way, don't get confused people.

I'll fix the game list.

Restrict to mistakes made in the course of ASOIF please. Too many mistakes made in the novellas etc and too many mistakes at the time of Robert's rebellion so do restrict to time period in ASOIF.

Cool thank you. I will send both lists when I go home because I can not do it from my phone.

Can a character appear on someone's list more than once? For instance, if someone feels that Old Nan made like six grievous errors in judgment can each one be listed separately? Or would you advise listing only Old Nan's biggest misstep?

I suspect you are not really thinking about Old Nan! I think they could be listed separately. Its up to you how much you go to town on particular people, when weighing up what goes on the list.

I can definitely think of some characters who would be on any list I did more than once.

What about Saturday 4 July 10 pm UTC.

That will be earlier on the 4th for people in the United States.

Check the world clock time zone converter to get your time

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20150704T22&p1=0&p2=137&p3=0&p4=179&p5=136&p6=37&p7=166&p8=44

It gives people who have signed up already time to do it this weekend and on weeknights next week if they work. Its a pain that the following weekend is 4 July, please try to do before the Saturday if you'll be busy!

Some of you who have sent lists are probably impatient to start but actually most people signed up haven't sent lists yet, and it will be convenient for me to have a deadline on a weekend.

Reminder of the rules

• List entries like this - name, description of mistake
  • Please make them specific actions or failures to act
  • Give me enough details so I can be sure what you are talking about
  • Within the time frame of ASOIF
  • The same person can be on the list more than once due to their making different mistakes
  • Do not list things that are basically character traits e.g. 'Antagonising everyone you interact with' wouldn't do for Cersei you'd have to choose specific instances to list.

Archived