ASOIF Guessing Game XVIII: Worst mistakes made by characters - guessing #16

Castellan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let the game begin.

#20 This person is very conventional in a way, but nevertheless rationalises moving against his Lord, for our first mistake on the list. ie This person's moving against his Lord was the mistake listed. Please guess the person and what they did.

Here are some runners up.

21. Dany chains up her dragons.  29 pts 3 lists highest score (not rank) 17 lowest 1

only 3 in the world and her hope of power.....

22. Dany stays in Mereen 29 pts 2 lists high 15 low 14

turning aside from destiny and all that?

23. Arya wastes her 3 kills 28 pts 4 lists high 12 low 5

could have killed someone that made a difference (personally, I can't regret her choice of 3, they were all so vile)

24. Walder Frey carries out the Red Wedding 28 pts 2 lists high 15 low 13

I mean we know its gonna come back at him and his house

25. Catelyn rejecting Jon 26 pts 2 lists high 20 low 6

Not sure if this was listed in the spirit of a moral or strategic error.

It has strategic implications - Eddard hoped Jon could stay beside Robb as a support but Catelyn's refusal to leave him with Robb at Winterfell and general hatred made Jon enlist in the NW. I think if he'd been Robb's right hand man he might have been wise to the Westerling's manipulations and told Robb not to break the agreement with the Freys.

Please guess the character and the mistake they made. I will amend the clue to make it clear this characters mistake involved moving against his Lord.

Thanks, Castellan! I'm sure it was obvious to all except me.  :dunce:

This is harder than I thought it would be. I might change these.

1. Bowen Marsh FTW

2. Edmure defying Robb's orders and fighting Tywin's forces

3. Karstark killing the Lannister boys

Edited to incorporate better guesses!

Does "Lord" include kings as well?

I'm grasping at straws... would one characterize Alester Florent's proposal of peace to the Lannisters in Stannis' name but behind Stannis' back as "moving against" him? Alester certainly didn't think so, but Stannis sure did.

All other suggestions so far fit even less. Renly can hardly be characterized as "conventional", I don't see how Edmure is conventional, Edmure did not move against Robb, Robb was not Edmure's Lord, Euron was not the Lord of Victarion or Aeron (you may say Theon was, but they thought he was dead, or Asha perhaps, if you stretch Lord to include Lady?), and Joffrey was most definitely not Ned's or Robb's "Lord".

Difficult, but let's try some wild guesses:

1. Bowen Marsh is a very conventional character. He definitely moves against his Lord  when he tries to assassinate his Lord Commander. I think it is a mistake. He apparently rationalizes his action - FTW. (I guess this mistake could be higher up on the list, but who knows. There are so many huge mistakes all those characters in the book make.)

2. Janos Slynt defying the orders of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: He doesn't really "move" (which is the problem), but he tries to undermine Jon's authority. There is some crude sort of rationalizing perhaps - he seems to think he can get away with it, but he is wrong.

3. Rickard Karstark moves against Robb when he kills those captive boys. He rationalizes his action saying that he is entitled to revenge. 

It seems like a big coincidence with Bowen Marsh being #19 on the other GG list, but yes, Marsh does fit, and Jon is his Lord (Commander).  I don't really know if either of the others could be said to be "conventional" based on what we know of them, and he certainly meets that description.

So, I'm going to gamble on Bowen Marsh assassinating Jon Snow.

Archived