ASOIF Guessing Game XVIII: Worst mistakes made by characters - guessing #16

Castellan

Ned accepting the position as Hand is supposed to be a mistake? It seems like an obvious case of people applying hindsight and thinking: "Well, since this is what started it, that must have been the big mistake". The fact that Ned made some serious mistakes as the Hand does not mean he was wrong to accept in the first place, unless one thinks he should have known in advance not only that he would be that bad and that the events unrelated to him would happen the way they did, which would require quite a lot of hindsight. How many people thought Ned was making a mistake when he accepted the position of Hand, when they were first reading AGOT and he did that? If you didn't think something was a mistake when it first happened, with the knowledge you had back then (i.e. the same knowledge that the character had), then you should probably not be applying hindsight to pronounce it a mistake now.

Theon made so many terrible mistakes, he should have multiple spots on the list.

1. Theon having two boys murdered and faking the deaths of Bran and Rickon

2. Theon taking Winterfell

3. Theon trusting/putting all his hopes in "Reek" (Ramsay)

Ned accepting the position as Hand is supposed to be a mistake? It seems like an obvious case of people applying hindsight and thinking: "Well, since this is what started it, that must have been the big mistake". The fact that Ned made some serious mistakes as the Hand does not mean he was wrong to accept in the first place, unless one thinks he should have known in advance not only that he would be that bad and that the events unrelated to him would happen the way they did, which would require quite a lot of hindsight. How many people thought Ned was making a mistake when he accepted the position of Hand, when they were first reading AGOT and he did that? If you didn't think something was a mistake when it first happened, with the knowledge you had back then (i.e. the same knowledge that the character had), then you should probably not be applying hindsight to pronounce it a mistake now.

IIRC, Ned himself considered it a bad idea to accept and go south, until Lysa's letter convinced him that he couldn't leave his foster brother alone with all these murdering Lannisters. But then again he also didn't have much of a choice, refusing the king wasn't really an option. :dunno:

Can I still guess? (I've been very busy the whole week, much busier than I realized I would be...)

1. The killing of the miller's boys / faking the deaths of Bran and Rickon

2. Trusting Reek to help him.

3. Taking Winterfell.

#16 Theon trust Reek

37 pts 5 lists 13-2

Rankings
Grietnog 16+3=18
Unwashed Unkempt Unshaven 13+5=18
Julia H 13+2=15
Annara Snow 12+1=13
Night's Queen 10+3=13

lil ghost 11+3=14
Cashless Society 10+3=13
JQC 8
Arya Kidding 5+3=8

Poached Aegon 5

Lord Wraith 5

Hint for #15: Happened in Essos. Like Cersei arming the faith, its a kind of elegantly classic error IMO. Despite this, it's not on very many lists. Its not a mistake made by a POV.

Can we get another clue 'cause this one still leaves us with dozens of options.

Ah hell. what to do. I have added to the clue. Now its will probably be too easy. Grietnog and AK need to change their answers.

Ah hell. what to do. I have added to the clue. Now its will probably be too easy. Grietnog and AK need to change their answers.

Well, I wouldn't have used their guesses anyway, since I don't see how Dany closing the pits was a mistake, and I expect Quentyn's dragontaming to be on many lists.

Gambling on Kraznys and the slavers of Astapor selling all their Unsullied to Dany

I think it's Kraznys and the slavers of Astapor selling all their Unsullied to Dany, too. Not made by a POV, and resembles arming the faith more than closing the pits or Quentyn's dragontaming do.

Archived