Hugos V: E Paucibus Drama

felice

To be fair, having read The Day The Earth Turned Upside Down I find it hard to disagree with most of Wright's criticisms of it. That said, I imagine he might have been equally scathing even if it had been a good story.

In further JCW shenanigans, he's offering to send ecopies of his books to anyone who emails him wanting them because they won't buy them thanks to the Tor boycott.

That seems like a great way to get in legal trouble with your own publisher.

In further JCW shenanigans, he's offering to send ecopies of his books to anyone who emails him wanting them because they won't buy them thanks to the Tor boycott.

That seems like a great way to get in legal trouble with your own publisher.

Let him dig his own grave if he wants to.

I just voted. 

Just voted this evening. Some No Awards applied in some categories, but only one across-the-board, and not as many as I thought. There were some folks on the Sad Puppy slates who I thought were vote-worthy. (Don't believe I gave the Rabids a damn thing though). 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest drama: Lou Antonelli wrote a letter to the Spokane police department and claims David Gerrold intends to incite violence

“I really didn’t know much about [Gerrold] before the Hugo nominations came out. Following his discourse and his level of discourse as a result, I personally wrote a letter addressed to the police chief in Spokane and said I thought the man was insane and a public danger and needs to be watched when the convention’s going on, and I mean it. I attached my business card. I said this guy’s inciting to violence. Somebody—a weak-minded might attack somebody because of his relentless strength of abuse. I think, honestly, I think he belongs in a secure psychiatric facility.”

Yes, he tried to get Gerrold swatted.

After being challenged on this, Antonellia apologized and said "I think I’ve become my own crazy uncle…"

Yes you have Lou, yes you have.

Gerrold makes some comments.

I do not know Mr. Antonelli. I do not understand why he felt the need to write to write the Spokane PD. And I won’t engage in online psychoanalysis or any other kind of second-guessing.

Yes, I was dismayed when I heard about the podcast. No, I have not listened to the podcast. I need to focus on more important things. But as others have pointed out, a line was crossed that shouldn’t have been crossed and I’m grateful that so many people spoke up.

More importantly, Lou Antonelli has apologized. I appreciate that. As far as I’m concerned the matter is over and done. I don’t have time for grudges. I’m satisfied with his apology, and I hope we can quickly put this behind us and focus on better things.

I sent Lou Antonelli a short private message saying so, and I reiterated my offer to buy him a beer the next time we’re both at the same convention. Because that’s what I would want if the situation was reversed.

I have no idea who either of those people are.

David Gerrold's a veteran SF author and scriptwriter, most famous for writing [i]The Trouble With Tribbles[/i] episode of [i]Star Trek[/i]. Apparently he's got the thankless task of hosting the Hugo Awards this year.

A publisher declined to publish one of Antonelli's stories based on his actions.  He took this with good grace and humility.

Lou himself said that if anyone was contacting her on his behalf to KNOCK IT OFF.

Ok, if anyone I know out there is contacting Carrie Cuinn and castigating her for the decision not to publish my story, knock it off. She and Lakeside Circus have their right to free expression, also. Lambasting her is certainly not helping things.

Death and rape threats ensued.

David Gerrold's a veteran SF author and scriptwriter, most famous for writing The Trouble With Tribbles episode of Star Trek. Apparently he's got the thankless task of hosting the Hugo Awards this year.

Not to mention he's also the author of the War Against the Chtorr series which has been waiting on the next book for... oh... 20 years now? Ultimately making GRRM a lightweight in the delayed installment sport.

Oh yeah, and he's gay too. Prime target for the Puppies to give a bad time to.

Ok, I'm embarrassed that I'm so late finding this.  Alexandra Erin is writing a novel ala the style of her book reviews.

Since I'm surrounded by nerds here in Seattle, I plan on reading this aloud over morning coffee tomorrow.

Edit:  Alexandra Erin has written the funniest shit ever in response to the entire puppies fiasco.

Ok, I'm embarrassed that I'm so late finding this.  Alexandra Erin is writing a novel ala the style of her book reviews.

Since I'm surrounded by nerds here in Seattle, I plan on reading this aloud over morning coffee tomorrow.

Edit:  Alexandra Erin has written the funniest shit ever in response to the entire puppies fiasco.

It's funny, and honest, satire:

"Kneeling, he peered through the rifle’s scope and surveyed the land all around him, carefully scouting as he reconnoitered."

Archived