Characters you just DO NOT understand people like

rayarts

He did help Brienne before losing the hand, though. And he was the only one who wanted to step up for his queen, this bizarre thought never crossed the great and good men that were the Kingsguards' minds.

He isn't this different from Ned Stark, in fact. For all his blusters, what does Ned do to ever protect the innocent? He shouts a little, makes some token gestures that I suspect have more to do with his own exalted perception of his honour and then he lets the bad men do their thing while he's feeling good about himself.

At least they have these conflicts. Which is more than what I can say about many people in the books. That's one of the reasons I love them both.

I just don't like him. Wasn't he ready to kill Arya in GoT when she whent missing? I didn't like him when he said Bran would be better of dead than live as a cripple. Those are my reasons. My personal favorite is Stannis he gets as much hate as he gets love on here. I respect everyone who doesn't like him.

I just don't like him. Wasn't he ready to kill Arya in GoT when she whent missing? I didn't like him when he said Bran would be better of dead than live as a cripple. Those are my reasons. My personal favorite is Stannis he gets as much hate as he gets love on here. I respect everyone who doesn't like him.

These are reasons I can stand behind. They don't exactly make my top 5 reasons why I like Jaime Lannister either. Not the Rhaella thing, though. And not the murder of Aerys. I don't think it was about self-interest at all. If there is something Jaime Lannister isn't afraid of, it's death. Or at least, it didn't use to be. Funny how he's now a cripple himself. Better off dead, huh?

Also you have to take into consideration that had the mad king burned kings landing Jaime was going to burn with it so there's self preservation. I can not remember the guote from Ned but he tells him he stepped up when it was convenient for him. He never stepped up for his queen. Had he not lost his hand he still would have been a total dick imo.

Come up with a situation where killing a madman who is about to burn down an entire city isn't self serving. We know Jaime fearing for his life wasn't what prompted him to act so acting like it was all to save himself is ridiculous.

Come up with a situation where killing a madman who is about to burn down an entire city isn't self serving. We know Jaime fearing for his life wasn't what prompted him to act so acting like it was all to save himself is ridiculous.

No I didn't say it was all to save himself. I could give a lot of reasons why I don't like Jaime. I just personally don't like him. But if he so cares for human life he wouldn't have pushed a young boy out a window. Self perservation.

No I didn't say it was all to save himself. I could give a lot of reasons why I don't like Jaime. I just personally don't like him. But if he so cares for human life he wouldn't have pushed a young boy out a window. Self perservation.

And also let me just add one more thing that despite him saving millions of lives he is also responsible for the thousands of deaths that were lost during the wot5k due to his incest with Cersei

He was also protecting the lives of his lover and children, not saying it was right but it again wasn't purely self serving.

Cersei yes but Jaime was not thinking of his children when he tried to kill Bran.

I would say he was thinking of Cersei. I don't think Jaime was afraid of Robert (or anyone tbh), but Bran's discovery would have put Cersei in serious danger.

Cersei yes but Jaime was not thinking of his children when he tried to kill Bran.

"Remember, Jaime isn't just trying to kill Bran because he's an annoying little kid. Bran has seen something that is basically a death sentence for Jaime, for Cersei, and their children – their three actual children."

That's what the author has to say on the matter

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=3

"Remember, Jaime isn't just trying to kill Bran because he's an annoying little kid. Bran has seen something that is basically a death sentence for Jaime, for Cersei, and their children their three actual children."

That's what the author has to say on the matter

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=3

There is nothing textual that supports Jaime caring about hiskids living or dieing. He only starts to care about them in ADWD and that's very little.

The best characters are the bad guys: Walder Frey is my favourite!

The scene where he humiliates Robb upon his arrival at the Twins by letching at his wife is hilarious.

That scene was only on the show. His wife didn't accompany him to the Twins in the books.

Wasn't he also prepared to Arya to Cersei after the whole Joffrey Nymeria thing at the Trident?

I think he should have taken the black though Robert pardoned him. He stayed in Kings Landing to bone Cersei and helped her abort Robert’s heirs (yes I know Bobby was asshole but that's not the point)

And seeing what happened to Elia and her children it would have been honorable for him to go to the wall.

Calling Jaime a villain is ridiculous. You can call him an evil bastard or whatever but he is not a villain of the story.

In A Song of Ice and Fire? :rolleyes:

Yes in A Song of Ice and fire. Unless you can argue that people in-universe would not consider the act villainous? Jaime was a guest in the Stark's home, and how threw Bran from a window. That's villainous as far as I can tell, and I'm not going to be convinced otherwise by bullshit claims about protecting his children. He broke the law by committing treason anyway, so he (and Cersei) created that danger in the first place. Committing a further crime to cover that up just adds more black marks to their names

There is nothing textual that supports Jaime caring about hiskids living or dieing. He only starts to care about them in ADWD and that's very little.

The author's word not good enough for ya? :P

EDIT: I did not read that right. I don't think Jaime overtly cares about his children but that doesn't mean he'd be okay with it. Then again when Joffrey dies, he's somewhat indifferent no? Or is that just because he's Joffrey? :P YAY FOR COMPLEXITY

Yes in A Song of Ice and fire. Unless you can argue that people in-universe would not consider the act villainous? Jaime was a guest in the Stark's home, and how threw Bran from a window. That's villainous as far as I can tell, and I'm not going to be convinced otherwise by bullshit claims about protecting his children. He broke the law by committing treason anyway, so he (and Cersei) created that danger in the first place. Committing a further crime to cover that up just adds more black marks to their names

I'm going to use the same source as someone else because I read through it a bit :P

"Bran has seen something that is basically a death sentence for Jaime, for Cersei, and their children – their three actual children. So I've asked people who do have children, "Well, what would you do in Jaime's situation?" They say, "Well, I'm not a bad guy – I wouldn't kill." Are you sure? Never? If Bran tells King Robert he's going to kill you and your sister-lover, and your three children. . . .

Then many of them hesitate. Probably more people than not would say, "Yeah, I would kill someone else's child to save my own child, even if that other child was innocent." These are the difficult decisions people make, and they're worth examining."

He was protecting himself, Cersei and his children even if he wasn't thinking about them at the time.

He did help Brienne before losing the hand, though. And he was the only one who wanted to step up for his queen, this bizarre thought never crossed the great and good men that were the Kingsguards' minds.

He isn't this different from Ned Stark, in fact. For all his blusters, what does Ned do to ever protect the innocent? He shouts a little, makes some token gestures that I suspect have more to do with his own exalted perception of his honour and then he lets the bad men do their thing while he's feeling good about himself.

At least they have these conflicts. Which is more than what I can say about many people in the books. That's one of the reasons I love them both.

Ned resigned the handship over the Dany incident. That means he gave up a huge amount of power or at least was willing to. He likely kept one of the last Targaryens safe from death because he was an "innocent"

He also swallowed his honour to protect his children, more innocents again

He rebelled against the mad king in his own words to stop the murder of children

He stared down the great Bobby B over a wolf

He put himself in huge danger to save cersei and her children from death because they were "innocent"

That's a nice bit there for doing his part for the innocents...of course there are some things he can't change e.g. being outvoted on the issue of Dany but what else could he do but stay and try to change things from the inside?

Archived