Characters you just DO NOT understand people like

rayarts

What kind of Disney movies are you watching?? Dany burned a woman alive as a blood sacrifice in the 1st book. She's definitely not the typical fantasy heroine. She's a much more complex character.

My answer would be Stannis. I realize almost most characters are going to have fans, but when I first joined this forum I was pretty shocked at the following he has tbh.

Sorry Let me try to be a little clearer:

I meant, She is the prettiest woman in the world/Fairest of them all, She has a special relationship with Animals/Fantasy Creatures that normal people don't (Snow-White,Frozen,Cinderella,Pocahantas, lilo and Stitch, The Little Mermaid),She is one of the last heirs of her house with no male heirs to challenge her rule, (Little Mermaid,Pocahantas Frozen, Cinderella,Aladdin,) she has a Twisted/ Initially non-consensual relationship with a Monster who turns out to be a lovely-ish chap behind a hard exterior-Beauty and the Beast. and we're probably going to get her save the Kingdom from the Evil Forces beyond a Great wall with her pet Dragon ( Mulan)

And as to which Diseny Stories I've been reading:

Does the the fact that the Hunchback of Notre Dame was adapted to Disney suffice to make Esmeralda a 'Dinsey princess?' ( questions of all bloodlines aside) because in the Book, some pretty awful stuff happens. :P

My answer would also be Stannis. I realize most characters are going to have fans, but when I first joined this forum I was pretty shocked at the following he has tbh.

Exactly this for me

I like Stannis, but I don't understand the "Stannis THE MANNIS!!!" hero worship some people have for the character. That attitude would probably piss him off more than anything.

as someone who like both, I also don't understand why the most ardent Jon fans are the most passionate Dany haters. :dunno:

Yeah, this one gets me too, as I also like both. It's pretty one sided too. I honestly believe it's a case of not wanting their favorite character to have to share the spotlight with her.

I cant understand Eddard Stark. He's a seasoned fighter who had been leading an enormous stretch of land for so many years. Surely he must have known that spilling the beans to Cersei would lead to consequences. What did he expect ie that the Lannister will suffer annihilation with a smile on their face?

You can't understand Eddard or why people like him? If I am not mistaken the question is the characters that you do not understand why your friends or people in general love them. Because the answer is why he is loved is exactly what you wrote. And by the way, there is a huge difference between being a military general. seasoned fighter and being a player of game of thrones. Ned never was the later, but he was a great father, great lord, great person (despite having faults as any other). For example, Tywin was his complete opposition - great player (no doubts there), but not a general (let's be fair, he defeated Robb only playing the game, not leading an army) or great fighter, and definitely not a great father. Ned was loved by people and Tywin was feared. It depends on of what the every particular fan values most- cunning or honour. I love Ned, for example, though, I understand why people love Tywin. I must admit I do not like "the game", intrigues etc.

Jamie, Cat, Sansa - I understand, too.

Ramsey and Roose, though, that's kind of creepy, for me at least.

I don't really understand anyone liking almost any of the characters in these books, in that sense. I love reading their stories. I can empathize with their struggles. I was on the edge of my seat for both Tyrion and Stannis while reading the Blackwater chapters. But that doesn't mean I think they're both heroes, or would want to be friends with them, or overthrow the government and put them in charge.

I also don't see why so many people need to see certain characters as pure evil. OK, Biter or the Mountain or Ramsay, but those are very minor characters, and they're basically cartoons. But hating Cat or Stannis or Dany and twisting the story around so they're to blame for everything seems just as pointless as taking their "side" and twisting the story so everything they ever did was right.

Pretty much any character from Dorne besides Oberyn.

Bran. His chapters are consistently boring. But, worse that that is what he is doing to Hodor. Go back and read the descriptions of when Bran takes control of Hodor or thinks about what it is like when he does it. Hodor is in pain and goes into a tiny corner of his mind to cry. He doesn't want it or like it. The descriptions are creepily similar to reactions to abuse and rape. Bran even knows it is wrong, but keeps forcing himself on Hodor anyway, even to do pointless things like wander around the caves with Meera and Jojen. If he wants to wander around so much, then he could just do so in his partner Summer's mind. It makes me think that Bran won't necessarily be the force for good that many expect him to be.

Bran. His chapters are consistently boring. But, worse that that is what he is doing to Hodor. Go back and read the descriptions of when Bran takes control of Hodor or thinks about what it is like when he does it. Hodor is in pain and goes into a tiny corner of his mind to cry. He doesn't want it or like it. The descriptions are creepily similar to reactions to abuse and rape. Bran even knows it is wrong, but keeps forcing himself on Hodor anyway, even to do pointless things like wander around the caves with Meera and Jojen. If he wants to wander around so much, then he could just do so in his partner Summer's mind. It makes me think that Bran won't necessarily be the force for good that many expect him to be.

I see your point with Bran, I also thought that it was quite bad how it was for Hodor. But with Bran I also never realized that he had fans. Ok, most people thinks he is good and ok and so on, but there isn't such a fandom like for e.g. Stannis

Not even Doran and Ellaria Sand? In the books they are quite good. Ellaria is nice and good woman. Doran is smart and definitely loves his family and his people, his country.

Not even Doran and Ellaria Sand? In the books they are quite good. Ellaria is nice and good woman. Doran is smart and definitely loves his family and his people, his country.

Doran is said to be smart. But, he hasn't really shown it yet. The plan to send his eldest son on a dangerous journey to Dany with a small retinue and some story about how they were agreed upon to be wed was dumb as hell. And Ellaria is such a small role in the books.

Archived