Changes you liked better in the show than in the book in season 5

Maya Stone

There are so many threads about all the scenes and changes we hated this season, so let's discuss here the things we actually liked. What are some changes/scenes/events made in the show that you prefer over the ones in the books or that you wish were in the books?

-Tyrion and Jorah. I thought their relationship and journey was handled better in the show than in the books. I was so happy when Tyrion told Jorah he knew his father and told him about his death, I don't get why that never came up in the books. Also I liked that their journey and slavery was short, instead of the useless chapters we got of them in aDwD. And my favorite part of all was that they finally met Daenarys; I don't even care about how and what happened after that, I'm just glad they met her. Seriously I just hate how we had to go through Tyrion's journey the whole book and he doesn't even get to meet her in the end, like nope sorry you'll just have to wait for all the fun events till the next book (don't get me wrong aDwD is my second favorite asoiaf, but i mean come on...)

-Tyrion and Varys. I actually like the trust and friendship between the two more than their relationship in the books

-I hate the changes they made to Sansa and Theon's story lines, but I like that Sansa and Theon reunited and that Sansa found out her brothers are still alive.

-Jaqen is back! I was so happy when he revealed himself and I'm glad that he's a part of her story line again (ignoring whatever happened in the last episode) When I was reading I just kept on waiting for him to show up in Braavos (I found out that Jaqen might be the alchemist in the books only after finishing them and finding this forum)

-Hardhome. That was the best thing ever done in the whole show, I'm glad we saw what happened at Hardhome and we got a battle scene instead of just a letter, and everything about it was just epic!

-Jon killing a white walker and the confirmation that Valyrian swords can kill WWs.

-The Night King.. he's pretty cool.

-The slave masters and catchers in the show were cooler than in the books. Reading about Yezzan was not so delightful..

-No Iron Islands!!

-Alliser and Jon's mutual respect for each other... until they ended up messing it all up in the last episode smh

-Arya killing Meryn Trant

-Aemon dying at the wall instead of the ship and being the last voter and making Jon win

-Stannis and Shireen's cute moment and hug.. wait nope never mind... carry on...

-Aww look another cute father-daughter moment between Jaime and Myrcella! wait...

That's all I can remember for now

There are so many threads about all the scenes and changes we hated this season, so let's discuss here the things we actually liked. What are some changes/scenes/events made in the show that you prefer over the ones in the books or that you wish were in the books?

-Tyrion and Jorah. I thought their relationship and journey was handled better in the show than in the books. I was so happy when Tyrion told Jorah he knew his father and told him about his death, I don't get why that never came up in the books.

I really liked that scene. Iain Glen is a fabulous actor. It was nice to see Tyrion's time at the Wall brought up, and that connection explored.

I like show Hizdahr far more than the book counterpart.

I liked the ominous scene with the Red priestess in Volantis and think that played better than the similar scene read.

I prefer that show Sansa actually has things happen to her, unlike book Sansa. I thought the grey wedding/bedding was one of the most beautifully dark and tragic scenes in the entire series so far and it isn't even in the books.

Overall, I think the Wall story played out more interesting in show than books. Note I say overall, there are bits that are better in the books.

What I liked the most was that they burned Mance for real and dispensed with the cheesy glamour thing.

I liked that they cut Penny and everything on the Stinky Steward or whatever that ship was called.

I liked that Jaqen was the Kindly Man (I know he's technically "no one", but you know what I mean), though I wish he would've done more.

I liked Hardhome well enough, I guess.

Hardhome was fine I mean it shat on already established stuff but meh it was entertaining enough

Tyrion reaching dany and cutting his travel time but lose points for him and dany being boring when they meet

Thorne up until he said fuck it I'm not a bitter but true member of the nw I'm just a twat

The topic started said something about the friendship and trust between Varys and Tyrion. Even though I do like the way these 2 work together, I doubt there is any friendship or trust between them.

They do not trust each other and they certainly aren't friends. However, they are both smart enough to realize that each of them has character features and personal qualities that the other lacks. They realize that together, they can achieve great things and perhaps even save Mereen from a civil war and the destruction it brings, and I really like they way they approach each other about this in S05E10.

Other things I did like in S05:

• Cutting Tyrions journey to Mereen to exclude the Griffs.
  • Sam asking to go to the Citadel in Oldtown to become a master. He's finally growing some balls and brains. He made the proper arguments and to me, it made more sense this way (with Aemon dying at the wall) then it did in the books;
  • The Walk of Atonement. Although it was a bit too long, this has to be the start of Cercei's fall into madness. She will no longer be respected by anyone in the city (let alone members of any other great house). Cercei gains her self respect by the fear and respect she gets from other people. Now that this will be gone, she probably won't stay sane for a long time......
  • Robert Strong. Although I agree that his armor should've been white. He's one big scary MFer...

I don't think the season was the strongest ever, but I think they made at least a few good choices compared to the books

- Cutting out Briennes pointless wandering of Westeros. Yes all she did on the show was look out at a castle, but thats better than having to read whole chapters of her riding around aimlessly looking for Sansa, thinking about all the men who've ever humiliated her.

- Cutting out the Griff storyline, which really only served to complicate and frustrated me hugely when I read it. Having endless suitors and heirs mulling around made the books lose a lot of direction.

- Cutting out the Iron Islands. I actually didn't mind them in the book, as they were quite fun to read this sort of Viking culture being played out. But they are so peripheral, I can't imagine how they could have made it work within this season

- Cutting out the Quentyn Martell storyline. Another suitor and a character who achieves absolutely nothing in his time in the books.

- Cutting out Sams miserable time spent on a boat

- Cutting out Tyrions Dwarf lover

So while there was a lot of stuff to dislike this season, Dorne especially, I think that they did a great job of getting down to the core of the story and making everything feel more related. This is the big achievement for me, every storyline feels like it has some connection to the other ones. The books often feel like you are bounced around from place to place with no overall arc keeping things together.

You're going to be disappointed when they cast the Ironborn in S6 OP.

Anyway, pretty much only Jaqen as the Kindly Man. And Hardhome was cool to watch but a waste of time.

EDIT: A lot of these things, it's like you guys just enjoy don't character depth and complexity or something. "Oh I'm glad they cut out Tyrion moping around, he wasn't witty enough in ADWD" "And what a waste of time Quentyn and Aegon were, I skim read ADWD so as far as I'm concerned they don't serve any purpose!"

Protar, Hardhome wasn't a waste of time, it was there to make define the biggest threat to Westeros there currently is. To point out that all the Nobles, all the houses and all their petty fights over land, power and control are futile and pointless. Hardhome was the episode that showed us viewers that everything that is currently happening in Kingslanding, Dorne, Winterfell and every other place in Westeros is about to be crushed by army of wights.

Only now do the Nightswatch and the Wildlings realize how big the threat is. more importantly, a lot of people escaped the carnage because of the ships Jon took with him, so the news can spread.

About the Ironborn. The only thing that is important to me is which route the Ironborn are going to sail. Are they going to invade the Western shores of Westeros, or are they sailing towards Mereen. Either plotline could be just as important or meaningless to the entire story.

As for your edit: I read all books at least 3 times already, and have just started reading A Clash of kings for the 4th time. I fully understand why Quentin and Aegon are in the books, they certainly have a proper purpose, however I do not think that these storylines would end well on screen.

Remember all the people complaining about Brienne looking at a tower? It would be the same for Tyrion, sitting on a ship looking at an adult woman bathing naked in the river. The complaint wouldn't just be "Tyrion is doing absolutely nothing but sit and mope on that boat" (I have heard enough complaints about him drinking while travelling with Varys) but also "here we go, Lemore is undressing again and going for a swim".

As for Quentin, the Dorne Storyline is a mess, I'll be the first to admit this. D&D made some choices that I can understand, but do not agree with. If they used Arianne and the queenmaker plot, then the Quentin story makes sense. Now it doesn't, so cutting it makes sense.

Protar, Hardhome wasn't a waste of time, it was there to make define the biggest threat to Westeros there currently is. To point out that all the Nobles, all the houses and all their petty fights over land, power and control are futile and pointless. Hardhome was the episode that showed us viewers that everything that is currently happening in Kingslanding, Dorne, Winterfell and every other place in Westeros is about to be crushed by army of wights.

Only now do the Nightswatch and the Wildlings realize how big the threat is. more importantly, a lot of people escaped the carnage because of the ships Jon took with him, so the news can spread.

It was absolutely a waste of time. They completely ignored the battle after the fact - Jon seemingly doesn't mention the huge army of undead he just faced to Thorne or any of the other NW. You can speculate about how that scene happened off screen, but it shouldn't have happened off screen. Using the show's logic, Jon's assassination should not have happened. Because the threat of the WWs was huge, witnessed by loads of people who made it back to Castle Black and Jon's leadership had been almost completely unproblematic. So they really ignored the consequences of Hardhome. It was clearly just there to be a cool battle sequence. And honestly it wasn't even that great. Filled with cliches.

It was absolutely a waste of time. They completely ignored the battle after the fact - Jon seemingly doesn't mention the huge army of undead he just faced to Thorne or any of the other NW. You can speculate about how that scene happened off screen, but it shouldn't have happened off screen. Using the show's logic, Jon's assassination should not have happened. Because the threat of the WWs was huge, witnessed by loads of people who made it back to Castle Black and Jon's leadership had been almost completely unproblematic. So they really ignored the consequences of Hardhome. It was clearly just there to be a cool battle sequence. And honestly it wasn't even that great. Filled with cliches.

You're crazy. It was probably the best directed action scene I've ever seen on the small screen.

Protar (my quote button doesn't work).

Jon was killed, not because of the aftermath of hardhome, but because members of the Nightswatch simply can not accept the fact that Wildlings (yes, these people call them wildlings in stead of free folk) have passed though the wall.

For them, the wall is there to protect against the Wildlings, they have fought their entire lives against them (not Olly, he lost his parents to a Wildling attack).

For these people, it is inconceivable to accept a Lord Commander that will allow the Wildlings to enter the 7 kingdoms. It's like Obama opening the border with Mexico. Can you imagine how the average Texan would respond to that?

All the horror stories of the wights attacking the living are simply ignored by them, because they are told by traitors or Wildlings, so they can not be true. They don't care what's happening beyond the wall, as long as it still standing (which it is) and as long as they can kill Wildlings (which they can't now, because they were given passage trough the wall).

Archived