Exactly what did the House of the Undying tell Dany?

I have seen many posts on this, and decided to make my own thesis on it.

In a Clash of Kings, Dany visits the House of the Undying, and in it sees many visions which if not paid attention to can be very deceiving, or even confusing. So let's take a look, and I'll give you my thoughts on it.

In one room, a beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor while four little men crawled over her. They had rattish pointed faces and tiny pink hands, like the servitor who had brought her the glass of shade. One was pumping between her thighs. Another savaged her breasts, worrying at the nipples with his wet red mouth, tearing and chewing.

This, as has been pointed out before, represents Westeros and the WotFK. The one between the legs symbolizes Joffrey, and the one at the breasts is Robb, since at present during this vision they are the only two actively engaged in war. The ones not represented is Balon Greyjoy, since at the time of the vision he has not actively invaded Westeros, but has only commenced the reaving, and Stannis, since he is still moving towards KL.

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Severed hands clutched bloody cups, wooden spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. In a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a scepter, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.

I will admit that at first I thought this symbolized the Red Wedding that had not happened yet, but upon closer look, I think it represents TWO murders, and one resurrection. The feast is obviously the Red Wedding, with the bodies strewn about and whatnot, but what hits me as odd is the dead man with the head of the wolf. His crown is IRON. Robb's was made of BRONZE, rubies, and IRON, as described here:

An open circlet of hammered bronze incised with the runes of the First Men, surmounted by nine black iron spikes wrought in the shape of longswords. It is said to look much the same as the one worn by the former Stark Kings in The North

IF she was seeing Robb's death, I think his crown would have been described in more detail than just being described as Iron. It's a little misleading don't you think?

Now, onto the big piece of evidence. In his hand, he is holding a leg of lamb. I know, I know, they served lamb at the feast, but it is what the lamb has been known to represent through history: RESURRECTION.

No not of Robb. He is dead. Like dead, dead. I meant for the resurgence of the North through Jon Snow's resurrection. I am going to reference the Bible here, even though I am not religious, but Jesus was known as the Lamb of God. He died and was subsequently resurrected. Also in biblical times, iron was used to describe bondage, and at the time of the Red Wedding the forces of the North were held captive and ultimately slaughtered.

We know that Robb named Jon his heir in his will, so maybe the man on the throne is actually Jon Snow, sitting around a war devastated North held 'captive' by the Boltons, asking Dany for help.

"His eyes followed Dany with mute appeal"

Appeal means to request aid, depending on what dictionary you read. So, with mute appeal, the North is essentially in need of Dany.

She fled from him, but only as far as the next open door. I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it made her heart ache with longing. It is the house with the red door, the house in Braavos. No sooner had she thought it than old Ser Willem came into the room, leaning heavily on his stick. “Little princess, there you are,” he said in his gruff kind voice. “Come,” he said, “come to me, my lady, you’re home now, you’re safe now.” His big wrinkled hand reached for her, soft as old leather, and Dany wanted to take it and hold it and kiss it, she wanted that as much as she had ever wanted anything. Her foot edged forward, and then she thought, He’s dead, he’s dead, the sweet old bear, he died a long time ago. She backed away and ran.

The long hall went on and on and on, with endless doors to her left and only torches to her right. She ran past more doors than she could count, closed doors and open ones, doors of wood and doors of iron, carved doors and plain ones, doors with pulls and doors with locks and doors with knockers. Drogon lashed against her back, urging her on, and Dany ran until she could run no more

This is basically self explanatory. Dany has dreamed of going home, whether it was to the house with the red door or Westeros, since she was a little girl. Her turning and running symbolizes that at the present she is not ready, and that in order to return home, she needs to complete her first journey, the road to Queenship.

Finally a great pair of bronze doors appeared to her left, grander than the rest. They swung open as she neared, and she had to stop and look. Beyond loomed a cavernous stone hall, the largest she had ever seen. The skulls of dead dragons looked down from its walls. Upon a towering

barbed throne sat an old man in rich robes, an old man with dark eyes and long silver-grey hair. “Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat,” he said to a man below him. “Let him be the king of ashes.” Drogon shrieked, his claws digging through silk and skin, but the king on his throne never heard, and Dany moved on.

A glimpse into the past. The moment right before her father was killed. At present she doesn't understand her father's true madness, but this showed her a glimpse.

Viserys, was her first thought the next time she paused, but a second glance told her otherwise. The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better name for a king?”

“Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.

“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.” He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany’s, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. “The dragon has three heads.” He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

Her first glimpse at what Rhaegar looked like. And possibly, from this vision, she will know without a doubt whether the Aegon in question at present is who he says he is.

It also tells her that there are TWO Targaryans missing from he conquest......

It seemed as though she walked for another hour before the long hall finally ended in a steep stone stair, descending into darkness. Every door, open or closed, had been to her left. Dany looked back behind her. The torches were going out, she realized with a start of fear. Perhaps twenty still burned. Thirty at most. One more guttered out even as she watched, and the darkness came a little farther down the hall, creeping toward her. And as she listened it seemed as if she heard something else coming, shuffling and dragging itself slowly along the faded carpet. Terror filled her. She could not go back and she was afraid to stay here, but how could she go on? There was no door on her right, and the steps went down, not up.

Yet another torch went out as she stood pondering, and the sounds grew faintly louder. Drogon’s long neck snaked out and he opened his mouth to scream, steam rising from between his teeth. He hears it too. Dany turned to the blank wall once more, but there was nothing. Could there be a secret door, a door I cannot see? Another torch went out. Another. The first door on the right, he said, always the first door on the right. The first door on the right...

It came to her suddenly.... is the last door on the left!

She flung herself through. Beyond was another small room with four doors. To the right she went, and to the right, and to the right, and to the right, and to the right, and to the right, and to the right, until she was dizzy and out of breath once more.

When she stopped, she found herself in yet another dank stone chamber... but this time the door opposite was round, shaped like an open mouth, and Pyat Pree stood outside in the grass beneath the trees. “Can it be that the Undying are done with you so soon?” he asked in disbelief when he saw her.

“So soon?” she said, confused. “I’ve walked for hours, and still not found them.”

“You have taken a wrong turning. Come, I will lead you.” Pyat Pree held out his hand.

Dany hesitated. There was a door to her right, still closed...

“That’s not the way,” Pyat Pree said firmly, his blue lips prim with disapproval. “The Undying Ones will not wait forever.”

“Our little lives are no more than a flicker of a moth’s wing to them,” Dany said, remembering.

“Stubborn child. You will be lost, and never found.”

She walked away from him, to the door on the right.

“No,” Pyat screeched. “No, to me, come to me, to meeeeeee.” His face crumbled inward, changing to something pale and wormlike.

In this vision, Dany trusts her instincts and continues on. This should teach her that her instincts are her biggest ally in the days to come.

Finally the stair opened. To her right, a set of wide wooden doors had been thrown open. They were fashioned of ebony and weirwood, the black and white grains swirling and twisting in strange interwoven patterns. They were very beautiful, yet somehow frightening. The blood of the dragon must not be afraid. Dany said a quick prayer, begging the Warrior for courage and the Dothraki horse god for strength. She made herself walk forward.

Beyond the doors was a great hall and a splendor of wizards. Some wore sumptuous robes of ermine, ruby velvet, and cloth of gold. Others fancied elaborate armor studded with gemstones, or tall pointed hats speckled with stars. There were women among them, dressed in gowns of surpassing loveliness. Shafts of sunlight slanted through windows of stained glass, and the air was alive with the most beautiful music she had ever heard.

A kingly man in rich robes rose when he saw her, and smiled. “Daenerys of House Targaryen, be welcome. Come and share the food of forever. We are the Undying of Qarth.”

“Long have we awaited you,” said a woman beside him, clad in rose and silver. The breast she had left bare in the Qartheen fashion was as perfect as a breast could be.

“We knew you were to come to us,” the wizard king said. “A thousand years ago we knew, and have been waiting all this time. We sent the comet to show you the way.”

“We have knowledge to share with you,” said a warrior in shining emerald armor, “and magic weapons to arm you with. You have passed every trial. Now come and sit with us, and all your questions shall be answered.”

She took a step forward. But then Drogon leapt from her shoulder. He flew to the top of the ebony-and-weirwood door, perched there, and began to bite at the carved wood.

“A willful beast,” laughed a handsome young man. “Shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind? Come, come.”

Doubt seized her. The great door was so heavy it took all of Dany’s strength to budge it, but finally it began to move. Behind was another door, hidden. It was old grey wood, splintery and plain... but it stood to the right of the door through which she’d entered. The wizards were beckoning her with voices sweeter than song. She ran from them, Drogon flying back down to her. Through the narrow door she passed, into a chamber awash in gloom

Dany will at some point have an encounter with the Faceless Men. They will appear to her as someone to trust, and try to kill her. Daario perhaps?

A long stone table filled this room. Above it floated a human heart, swollen and blue with corruption, yet still alive. It beat, a deep ponderous throb of sound, and each pulse sent out a wash of indigo light. The figures around the table were no more than blue shadows. As Dany

walked to the empty chair at the foot of the table, they did not stir, nor speak, nor turn to face her. There was no sound but the slow, deep beat of the rotting heart.

...mother of dragons... came a voice, part whisper and part moan... . dragons... dragons... dragons... other voices echoed in the gloom. Some were male and some female. One spoke with the timbre of a child. The floating heart pulsed from dimness to darkness. It was hard to summon the will to speak, to recall the words she had practiced so assiduously. “I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.” Do they hear me? Why don’t they move? She sat, folding her hands in her lap. “Grant me your counsel, and speak to me with the wisdom of those who have conquered death.”

Through the indigo murk, she could make out the wizened features of the Undying One to her right, an old old man, wrinkled and hairless. His flesh was a ripe violet-blue, his lips and nails bluer still, so dark they were almost black. Even the whites of his eyes were blue. They stared unseeing at the ancient woman on the opposite side of the table, whose gown of pale silk had rotted on her body. One withered breast was left bare in the Qartheen manner, to show a pointed blue nipple hard as leather.

She is not breathing. Dany listened to the silence. None of them are breathing, and they do not move, and those eyes see nothing. Could it be that the Undying Ones were dead?

Her answer was a whisper as thin as a mouse’s whisker.... we live... live... live... it sounded. Myriad other voices whispered echoes... . and know... know... know... know...

“I have come for the gift of truth,” Dany said. “In the long hall, the things I saw... were they true visions, or lies? Past things, or things to come? What did they mean?”

...the shape of shadows... morrows not yet made... drink from the cup of ice... drink from the cup of fire...

...mother of dragons... child of three...

Dany asks if what she saw were visions or lie, to which the Undying tell her basically they are visions of the future and images of the past.

Then comes the ever famous 'three' prophecy.

Three?” She did not understand.

...three heads has the dragon... the ghost chorus yarnmered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air.... mother of dragons... child of storm... The whispers became a swirling song.... three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one to love... Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt... three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love... The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath.... three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love..

Three mounts you must ride: bed, dread, love

To bed could mean Daario or even Hizdar, most likely the latter. Hizdar is believed to be the Harpy by some, and he could be her ultimate salvation if she holds him accountable for all that has happened to her people.

To dread is obviously Drogon, with his similarities to Balerion, the Black Dread

To Love was Drogo, her Sun and Stars

Three fires she must light: life, death, and again love

For life to give birth to her dragons

For death is obviously MMD, the one who took everything from her

For love is to end Drogo's suffering, since he was in a catatonic state once MMD was done with him

Three treasons she will know: blood, gold and love

For blood came again from MMD, when she offered up Drogo and in turn gave birth to a stillborn Rhaego

For gold is Ser Jorah, who only sought to gain favor with the IT to return himself home

For love is still up in the air. It could come form any source, and I wont even attempt to put a finger on it.

I don’t...” Her voice was no more than a whisper, almost as faint as theirs. What was happening to her? “I don’t understand,” she said, more loudly. Why was it so hard to talk here? “Help me. Show me.”

...help her... the whispers mocked.... show her...

Then phantoms shivered through the murk, images in indigo. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him. Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last

breath murmured a woman’s name.... mother of dragons, daughter of death... Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.... mother of dragons, slayer of lies... Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a

chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.... mother of dragons, bride of fire...

These visions start with the death of Viserys. It then goes on to show her a vision of what could have been Rhaego, or what he was destined to become, a great conqueror. After she sees the death of Rhaegar, muttering Lyanna's name as he dies. A red sword raised by a blue eyed king is Stannis, as is known, holding his so-called Lightbringer. The cloth dragon is the banner of the Targaryans as Aegon makes his way across Westeros. The stone beast breathing shadow fire, IMO, is a direct symbol that Mel will succeed in her goal to wake a dragon form stone. The smoking tower could be the Shadow Tower at the Wall, or it oculd be from Castle Black during a burning ritual. Her silver trotting to a stream means that at some point she will either set it free, or someone who rides it in her stead will die and the horse will ride around free. The corpse at the brow of the ship is the Night's King, leading the Other's to war.

And of course, the rose is Jon Snow, once again showing her that she needs to go to the Wall.

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. “Mother!” they cried. “Mother, mother!” They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them...

But then black wings buffeted her round the head, and a scream of fury cut the indigo air, and suddenly the visions were gone, ripped away, and Dany’s gasp turned to horror. The Undying were all around her, blue and cold, whispering as they reached for her, pulling, stroking, tugging at her clothes, touching her with their dry cold hands, twining their fingers through her hair. All the strength had left her limbs. She could not move. Even her heart had ceased to beat. She felt a hand on her bare breast, twisting her nipple. Teeth found the soft skin of her throat. A mouth descended on one eye, licking, sucking, biting...

The only part of this that needs paid attention to is the crones emerging from the lake. Dany is the Stallion who mounts the World, and this is them paying homage to her when she returns to Vaes Dothrak and unites the Khals.

So there is my take on it. I am sure it goes in line with most everyone else's, but I am bored at work and had been thinking about this all morning. So let the discussion begin.

You gotta get a new job man. It's Sunday. This is my take on it...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125616-the-house-of-the-undying-ones/

I usually dont work Sundays, but the military says otherwise sometimes. I like your breakdown more than mine. I took each vision to be literal, as the first two are of the present, the second two are of the past, and the last two deal with her instincts on right and wrong.

The visions i really want to play on is the one of the Red Wedding, because I still feel that there is more than meets the eye with that one. Also the one with the Faceless Men. THat was pretty clear to me.

ETA: Your catch of all the 'threes' in there has me thinking though................

I usually dont work Sundays, but the military says otherwise sometimes. I like your breakdown more than mine. I took each vision to be literal, as the first two are of the present, the second two are of the past, and the last two deal with her instincts on right and wrong.

The visions i really want to play on is the one of the Red Wedding, because I still feel that there is more than meets the eye with that one. Also the one with the Faceless Men. THat was pretty clear to me.

ETA: Your catch of all the 'threes' in there has me thinking though................

Keep your job, and keep us safe... Unless you're one of the bad guys and you write English really well.

You forget that the House of the Undying has an ebony and weirwood door, whereas the FM door has a moon image as well. I think it's just the Undying, but trying to trick her by looking good and to eat her live's energy. The second man on the prow is a Greyjoy imo: prow of a ship, what is dead may never die, 'grey slips smiling sadly' (grey isn't really a colour you associate with joy, but rather sadness).

GREAT JOB, OP! I will share an essay I wrote long ago:

The Undying fascinate me, and I eagerly await hearing from others who are drawn in by these puzzling entities, fragile and “passive-aggressive.

When I start to analyze parts of Dany’s journey in the House of Dust, my thoughts visit Bran and his arrival at the warded cave beyond the Wall. Both Bran and Khaleesi pass through strange doors with faces, but Arya remains loyal to her new husband even though Arya screams inside her head, begging the gods to anything with a face seemingly echoes the heart trees and the faces carved in their bark by the CotF. [i can also connect these journeys to Arya’s in the House of Black and White, with the vault of 1000 faces hanging on the walls.]

The crownless Queen Daenerys Targaryen, aka the Khaleesi, drinks the cloying “blue” of “the shade of the evening”; LynnS stated in a response that Daenerys ingests a narcotic that enhances her visionary acuity, and as Daenerys peers into the ill-lit rooms where she witnesses different vignettes featuring people and places that illicit past memories, that disclose events to come, and that makes demands on “real time”.

Bran eats blood-red weirwood paste; and Arya drinks from the cold cup a liquid that tastes lemony. Each “refreshment” “assists” in awakening the powers usually remaining dormant, latent as well, that is, until the world of ice and fire can achieve – and maintain – balance.

Khaleesi sees visions of the past, present, and future staged in rooms throughout the HotU; Bran sees the past, present, and future through the roots of trees. Arya will see through the face masks and through the eyes of those she visits by slipping her skin. All three locations are windowless, and the inhabitants “whisper”.

But the Undying are marked with corruption, the “blue” defines the central heart that somehow beats as a life force to make the Undying available for an audience. The blue aligns the Undying with death: once the lungs no longer saturate the bloodstream with fresh oxygen, a human’s ectoplasm slowly turns blue, especially in the hands and feet where the circulation is weakest.

The shade of the evening is a drink with addictive properties that may somehow link the Warlocks and their charges to the blue aspect of the Undying. Since the warlocks by craft work in magic, this seems logical: a drink with a potency that brings about great insight, aids in opening the “third eye”, and conveys knowledge to the living who seek the truth from those who cheated death. Yet Pyatt Pree and his Undying underestimate Drogon’s flame while over-estimating their skill and confidence when the HotU bursts into flame.

The Undying are vulnerable to Drogon’s flame, and they succumb even though they are Undying. The wights with their bright blue eyes perish when attacked with fire at the Wall. In the HoB&W, a poison mixed in the black pool eases a visitor into the Nightlands, guided by Him-of-Many-Faces. These drinks, beverages, poisons, pastes, or potions appear in parallel POV’s, including but not limited to Bran, Dany, and Arya.

Sorcery is an ingredient in what is served to visitors; consequently, it awakens elements hitherto dormant in human natures. However, the long-term effects of shade of the evening may result in an “undying” spirit.

Also, blue in literature may symbolize knowledge, and the Undying have knowledge, or prophecies, as Dany learns from their life-force during the communication. The fact that they move to bite her neck and drink her blood is vampiric. Maybe the Undying survive on human blood, or maybe they are empowered through a diet of blood.

Martin describes the Undying as burning like corn husks, the dragon’s flames eating away at their fragile encasements. The Undying burn up very much like the parchment of ancient scrolls. The Undying may represent a collective knowledge of the warlocks - and other magical forces - which Drogon sets ablaze and ultimately destroys. Similarly, several irreplaceable scrolls are destroyed in the library fire at Winterfell – knowledge lost forever in the flames. The forces that are the old gods of the north preserve their collective knowledge within elements of nature that are, in most cases, indestructible.

A devastating loss of knowledge may be why Pyat Pree seeks vengeance. But the Undying tried to harm Dany, so Drogon’s reaction was in defense of his mother. Why did such vulnerable entities presume to attack the “Mother of Dragons” with a baby in tow? Pyat Pree’s quest for vengeance is hypocritical; he lured Dany there under false pretenses. The warlock anticipated Dany’s failure because he had to know the dangers to those who visited the Undying.

You forget that the House of the Undying has an ebony and weirwood door, whereas the FM door has a moon image as well. I think it's just the Undying, but trying to trick her by looking good and to eat her live's energy. The second man on the prow is a Greyjoy imo: prow of a ship, what is dead may never die, 'grey slips smiling sadly' (grey isn't really a colour you associate with joy, but rather sadness).

No, it's in there. It's a small quote about halfway through

I thought about the Greyjoy reference, but the NIght's King seems more plausible, since he gave his life and soul for the woman he loved to be banished and ultimately killed by his 'brothers' in the Nights Watch

NO, not one of them. Game of Thrones was given to me to read on a deployment. Best gift ever.

'K, but you are doing whatever it is that the military is asking you do to while clearly doing massive amounts of ASOIAF research, right? I don't wanna see any stories about perimeters being compromised because the guard was busy trying to figure out who the third head of the dragon was. ;)

"Dany will at some point have an encounter with the Faceless Men. They will appear to her as someone to trust, and try to kill her. Daario perhaps?"

- Might as well take this a step farther and use it as fodder for the Euron/Daario theory, no?

Also, I think if nothing else, the whole experience taught her "Dragons> everything else", which seems to be a concept she's still working through.

'K, but you are doing whatever it is that the military is asking you do to while clearly doing massive amounts of ASOIAF research, right? I don't wanna see any stories about perimeters being compromised because the guard was busy trying to figure out who the third head of the dragon was. ;)

"Dany will at some point have an encounter with the Faceless Men. They will appear to her as someone to trust, and try to kill her. Daario perhaps?"

- Might as well take this a step farther and use it as fodder for the Euron/Daario theory, no?

Also, I think if nothing else, the whole experience taught her "Dragons> everything else", which seems to be a concept she's still working through.

I'm in the Navy, and at present I am on shore duty, which means not on the boat, so no perimeters being breached or anything like that haha. Just some contractors fixing some cameras.

I never paid much attention to the Euron=Daario, specifically for the reason that while Daario is being held hostage by the Yunkai, Euron is back in the Iron Islands preparing an invasion. On top of that, Daario is not said to have pale blue lips, where Euron is due to his sahde of the evening addiction

All of this is pretty well-trodden territory, and any interpretation of dreams, vision and what not will invariably rely on a lot of speculation.

What I think is most interesting about the feast portion of the vision is that two other characters connected to Winterfell had dreams about a great feast with a lot of corpses: Theon and Jon.

I've always wondered if these were different perspectives of the same feast: Dany and Theon in the room with the feasters -- which in Theon's dream is in fact the great hall at Winterfell IIRC -- and Jon below in the crypts. If this is the case, might the feast represent a future event as all three characters converge on Winterfell, and could the dead king not be either Robb or Bran but someone else? Ramsey, perhaps?

And the other curious thing is that GRRM uses the term "mute appeal" twice in the story: once in Dany's vision of the dead wolf king and one as Catelyn is looking at Jinglebell just before she cut his throat at the Red Wedding. I don't know if it means anything, just that GRRM would use the same phrase -- which I personally have never heard in any other literature -- to describe two different events.

All of this is pretty well-trodden territory, and any interpretation of dreams, vision and what not will invariably rely on a lot of speculation.

What I think is most interesting about the feast portion of the vision is that two other characters connected to Winterfell had dreams about a great feast with a lot of corpses: Theon and Jon.

I've always wondered if these were different perspectives of the same feast: Dany and Theon in the room with the feasters -- which in Theon's dream is in fact the great hall at Winterfell IIRC -- and Jon below in the crypts. If this is the case, might the feast represent a future event as all three characters converge on Winterfell, and could the dead king not be either Robb or Bran but someone else? Ramsey, perhaps?

And the other curious thing is that GRRM uses the term "mute appeal" twice in the story: once in Dany's vision of the dead wolf king and one as Catelyn is looking at Jinglebell just before she cut his throat at the Red Wedding. I don't know if it means anything, just that GRRM would use the same phrase -- which I personally have never heard in any other literature -- to describe two different events.

I think that the Wolf King is one of the most symbolic images she sees. And yes, the phrase mute appeal is strange, considering what it means, a silent plea for help.

I think that the Wolf King is one of the most symbolic images she sees. And yes, the phrase mute appeal is strange, considering what it means, a silent plea for help.

Since im on my phone I have to quote my own quote, but I think you are right about the scene involving Winterfell. The leg of lamb could just be that, a leg of lamb, or ir could be a symbol all in itself like I said in the original post.

I thought about the Greyjoy reference, but the NIght's King seems more plausible, since he gave his life and soul for the woman he loved to be banished and ultimately killed by his 'brothers' in the Nights Watch

I guess I absolute don't see it. I went by what you bolded. The doors don't convince me. And I'm not even convinced of the Night's King existence in the present situation, and why would he be on a prow of a boat?

The problem there is the "Bride of Fire" ending to that triad. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where she will marry the Night's King, while the others (Drogo, Victarion (or Euron) and Jon) have either already married her, are actively attempting to marry her, or are pretty damn good candidates for a variety of prophetic and thematic reasons. It's difficult to interpret a meaning behind the Bride of Fire lines as anything but predicting her three husbands.

Of course, that leaves out Hizdahr, which is key to understanding the entire prophecy: she WILL be betrayed more than three times in her life (hell, she has already been betrayed more than three times) and she will certainly light more than three fires and ride more than three mounts... similarly, she will have more than three husbands. And so why are THESE PARTICULAR husbands (and mounts, and fires, betrayals) important? Because these are the mounts and fires and betrayals that are directly responsible for her three children. So is it with husbands: it's not listing all her husbands, it's listing the fathers of her children.

The prophecy isn't about Dany at all: it's about her offspring, the three heads of the dragon.

But Rhaego is dead.

That's extremely unlikely.

The problem there is the "Bride of Fire" ending to that triad. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where she will marry the Night's King, while the others (Drogo, Victarion (or Euron) and Jon) have either already married her, are actively attempting to marry her, or are pretty damn good candidates for a variety of prophetic and thematic reasons. It's difficult to interpret a meaning behind the Bride of Fire lines as anything but predicting her three husbands.

Of course, that leaves out Hizdahr, which is key to understanding the entire prophecy: she WILL be betrayed more than three times in her life (hell, she has already been betrayed more than three times) and she will certainly light more than three fires and ride more than three mounts... similarly, she will have more than three husbands. And so why are THESE PARTICULAR husbands (and mounts, and fires, betrayals) important? Because these are the mounts and fires and betrayals that are directly responsible for her three children. So is it with husbands: it's not listing all her husbands, it's listing the fathers of her children.

The prophecy isn't about Dany at all: it's about her offspring, the three heads of the dragon.

That's extremely unlikely.

You bring up a good point. Bride of fire could something literal like she will marry a targaryan or it could mean something symbolic, like she is bound to fire in some way. Is that phrase used any where else?

Archived