Incest - On principle, can we say it is immoral or illegal when no abuse of a person is taking place?

Quorra

Moral relativism at its finest, considering incest has gone in and out of fashion over the span of human existence. It is an interesting discussion to be had given the challenges mounted against what non-traditional relationships.

I can only speak for myself in saying that I am not fundamentally opposed to incest as an expression of real romantic feelings. While I find it a bit repugnant and unnerving (icky is a good word, as well) for such a relationship to exist, I hold true to the belief that if there is a genuine love that exists between let's say a brother and a sister, they should be allowed to express that. As Ser Scot has already stated though, the problem with incestuous relationships is that because they are born out of preexisting familial relationships it could be a matter of abuse or exploitation.

But how could we legally allow people to express that while at the same time protect those who would be abused and exploited by this legal permission? All I can think of is maybe the extensive screening process before marriage is allowed? Such as is done before child adoption or marriage to grant one person citizenship.

Of course, you don't get a license for sexual behavior so we can't prevent that.

I'm going to with hold comments on this subject as it touches too closely on my field of work and I'm feeling....cynical today, but I figured I would throw some articles up that I found interesting on the subject and people might find to be an interesting read. They are not that long, but kind of follow my thoughts on the issue and how I understand other professionals see it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fighting-fear/201211/different-degrees-incest-andor-sexual-abuse

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/sexual-offenses/ramifications-incest(More researched article)

Homosexuality is an orientation. Incest isn't. If the law bans gay sex, a lesbian can't have a sex life. But if you're hot for your sister, and the law says you can't sleep with her, you have billions of other options. Get out of your house, for God's sake

i was actually gonna comment something similar. there's fucking loads of people in this world - so go and find one of them that isn't your sister or brother or freakin father.

So, the argument is for maintaining the family structure, which is vital to society, with its clear and mutually exclusive roles of parent, child, sibling, and spouse.

For the sake of devil's advocate, do you think there are any valid oppositions to this argument?

What about Friendcest, when two people in your tight group of friends has sexual relations and makes the group weird and awkward? Full recovery is almost impossible, but it makes for easy-to-follow plot lines on sitcoms because it doesn't necessitate the introduction and acceptance of a new character.

So, the argument is for maintaining the family structure, which is vital to society, with its clear and mutually exclusive roles of parent, child, sibling, and spouse.

For the sake of devil's advocate, do you think there are any valid oppositions to this argument?

I think anyone arguing your first point is just buying into hegemonic devices aimed at maintaining what is believed to be the "natural" familial set up. There have been plenty of periods and areas in the world that happily practiced ( and continue to practice) incest and seem to operate as efficiently as any other community. In some places endogamy is as important a social mechanism as anything, and actually forms a fundamental part of the "family structure."

i was actually gonna comment something similar. there's fucking loads of people in this world - so go and find one of them that isn't your sister or brother or freakin father.

A romantic may argue that the heart wants what the heart wants. The argument that there are plenty of people out there so you should look out of your home is a tenuous justification for proscribing the freedom to choose one's mate, however disgusting it may look within the traditional borders of our sexual code.

Yes, particularly with respect to siblings. I have no idea what the 'clearly defined roles' of siblings are supposed to be, and I don't really buy that power dynamics between siblings are much more unbalanced than the power dynamic between people in lots of relationships that are currently legal. Seems like a lot of sophistry to justify the "ick" feeling people have w/r/t incest. Also, "there's lots of other people in the world" is no more valid an argument than "there's lots of white people in the world, choose one of them" is.

What about Friendcest, when two people in your tight group of friends has sexual relations and makes the group weird and awkward? Full recovery is almost impossible, but it makes for easy-to-follow plot lines on sitcoms because it doesn't necessitate the introduction and acceptance of a new character.

Or if pre-existing power dynamics are part of the issue, then wouldn't a relationship between an individual and their sibling's best friend from childhood be an issue? Particularly if the two families are close. How often do parents confer authority to a sibling's friend in modern family environments? Seems common in the first world, at least.

Or if pre-existing power dynamics are part of the issue, then wouldn't a relationship between an individual and their sibling's best friend from childhood be an issue? Particularly if the two families are close. How often do parents confer authority to a sibling's friend in modern family environments? Seems common in the first world, at least.

It's interesting to bring up the danger of an imbalance of power in a marriage or non-abusive sexual relationship, when I don't think that was the basis for the anti-incest sentiments in the past. In fact I think that's relatively recent.

Archived