Who else broke the guest right?

In the books, Jaime pushed Bran out of that window, and then there were the mutineers in Craster's Keep. Earlier, there was an incident where Rhaenyra tried to make some lord kill a girl she suspected of being her husband's mistress (he didn't oblige, though), and a couple centuries later, Mad King Aerys would ask Jon Arryn to do the same (and again unsuccessfully).

The previous comments were inclusive. Here is one that would have happened if Balon had chosen to throw another rebellion.

Ned Stark would have taken off Theon Greyjoy's head, in response to Balon. Theon is a guest of Winterfell.

The previous comments were inclusive. Here is one that would have happened if Balon had chosen to throw another rebellion.

Ned Stark would have taken off Theon Greyjoy's head, in response to Balon. Theon is a guest of Winterfell.

Technically he's a prisoner. He wasn't invited, he was taken under the understanding that further rebellion would cost him his life.

Bloodraven. He killed guest and served his head on great council.

Don't you have to eat something from the Host for guest right to actually occur? That is why Cat made a big deal of it to Robb so that he would eat something as soon as he walked into the Twins. I am not sure if it is stated whether or not Bloodraven fed Aenys Blackfyre before killing. He did, however, offer him safe conduct to King's Landing but maybe used play-on-words to kill him once he actually made it to King's Landing seeing as how his "safe conduct" would technically be accomplished.

Bloodraven. He killed guest and served his head on great council.

Mad Aerys invited Lord Rickard Stark and a few other lords under pretense of safe conduct for them yet they were all killed.

Remember when Robb & party arrived at the Twins for Edmure's wedding, and Cat could (somewhat) relax only after eating Walder's bread and salt? It was only that act that formed the contract between the guest and the host. Anything happens before that, it'll be just your plain, run-of-the-mill treason or murder at most.

My interpretation is that the guest right constrains the HOST from harming the guest, not really the other way around.

ASOS Jon I

"Your father would have had my head off." The king gave a shrug. "Though once I had eaten at his board I was protected by guest right. The laws of hospitality are as old as the First Men, and sacred as a heart tree." He gestured at the board between them, the broken bread and chicken bones. "Here you are the guest, and safe from harm at my hands . . . this night, at least. (Mance to Jon)

I've never seen it used the other way around, but maybe you guys can find an instance that its mentioned that way.

Archived