What is hiding in the crypts of Winterfell?

Ser Hightower

Evidence is in short supply, but there are a ton of guesses.

Aegon's crown.

Rhaegar's harp.

A dragon egg for Jon.

A Targ wedding cloak that Lyanna wore.

Blackfyre or Dark Sister.

a clutch of eggs laid by a dragon on a long-ago visit to Winterfell (I think Syrax but I could be wrong)

Any combination of the above...and more!

Well, when Ned dies, Bran has a powerful dream. Rickon has one, too. They both want to go down into the crypts. In Bran's dream Ned was sad, and it had something to do with Jon. Bran's chapter says that specifically.

Jon has regular dreams (even after joining the NW) about going into the crypts.

So the books really do seem to link Jon to the crypts.

I've read a variety of other ideas.

For those who think there might be a dragon egg or two, there are questions about the "flying snake" that Summer seemed to see when Winterfell burned. A dragon hatching? But the boys and their companions were in the crypts, it wasn't hot, there was no sound, light or indication of anything.

There are theories that the weirwoods feed on Stark bones.

There are theories that the hot springs are related to dragons in some way.

We know that older tombs are deeper, part of it is caved in, and the kids didn't go down there.

Who knows?

There's also the theory that the secret tunnels under the Wall go all the way down to the Crypts at Winterfell, which someone revived recently in connection with Benjen, although I can't remember what the connection was.

Aegon's crown.

Rhaegar's harp.

A dragon egg for Jon.

a clutch of eggs laid by a dragon on a long-ago visit to Winterfell (I think Syrax but I could be wrong)

:cheers: Lady B, i dig you ...you always make me smile...

i have only ever glanced at the theory threads but now i got go read about a clutch of dragon eggs and valyrian steel...i guess the dragon chose the hot spring heated caverns for eggs...and one or both of the swordswell i guess the crypts are as good a place as any for dark sister at least...makes perfect sense... :thumbsup:

There's definitely something down there, hidden within the statue of Lyanna is some sort of proof regarding Jon's Parentage, Rhaegars Harp, or something. In the deepest part of the crypt, where its caved in, I say some former greenseer sat amongst the weir roots.

Caution: going off the rails.

I propose that the Children used the Weir-net to control people, ie..keep them in the dark, long night, before the people rose up in war and pushed them back around 5000 or 6000 year B.C.

Back then First men used greenseers to communicate through the ravens. Finally First Men beat them back and built a giant Wall to keep their magic out.

This is the Dawn of Heroes, from 6,000 or so to 5,000 B.C. Nights Watch founded and Wall started.

The Wall is a barrier to magic, Jon can't feel Ghost after he climbs the Wall. You can't trust dates before written history.

Well, when Ned dies, Bran has a powerful dream. Rickon has one, too. They both want to go down into the crypts. In Bran's dream Ned was sad, and it had something to do with Jon. Bran's chapter says that specifically.

Jon has regular dreams (even after joining the NW) about going into the crypts.

So the books really do seem to link Jon to the crypts.

I've read a variety of other ideas.

For those who think there might be a dragon egg or two, there are questions about the "flying snake" that Summer seemed to see when Winterfell burned. A dragon hatching? But the boys and their companions were in the crypts, it wasn't hot, there was no sound, light or indication of anything.

There are theories that the weirwoods feed on Stark bones.

There are theories that the hot springs are related to dragons in some way.

We know that older tombs are deeper, part of it is caved in, and the kids didn't go down there.

Who knows?

I agree with this. There are secrets in the crypts, and they are especially calling out of Jon.

I wonder if there isn't a will of some kind. Maybe Rhaegar left a will naming Jon his heir? It would be similar to the one King Bob made in GoT asking Ned to name Joffrey as his heir. A will, or any other legally binding document, would provide proof of R+L=J. And Howland Reed could confirm it's authenticity without having the burden of proof for R+L=J entirely on his shoulders.

What Jon would chose to do with such knowledge, however, is anther question entirely. ;)

Aegon's crown.

Rhaegar's harp.

A dragon egg for Jon.

I thought Mushroom mentioned it was Vermax, when Price Jacaerys flew north with him to Winterfell during the Dance of Dragons.

I wonder if there isn't a will of some kind. Maybe Rhaegar left a will naming Jon his heir? It would be similar to the one King Bob made in GoT asking Ned to name Joffrey as his heir. A will, or any other legally binding document, would provide proof of R+L=J. And Howland Reed could confirm it's authenticity without having the burden of proof for R+L=J entirely on his shoulders.

I don't see Ned doing that either, also doesn't a will feel a little too convenient?

Ned never planned on crowning Jon nor did he plan on dying, I'm pretty sure he thought his word alone would be enough.

If Jon does find out about R+L=J I think it will be through Bran, maybe he'll see Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married?

Archived