A compilation of my thoughts and theories about Rickon Stark

King Rickon Stark

These are just my various thoughts about things relating to Rickon and what I think they might mean. I tried to stick to my own thoughts as much as possible.

General:

• Personality traits: What is known about Rickon is that like his dire wolf Shaggydog, he is described as wild, partly due to the majority of his family ‘abandoning’ him. while they didn't necessarily abandon him, to the eyes of a young kid it might seem likely.
  • Abilities: As with all of the other Stark Children, Rickon is a warg. As he hasn't shown any real signs of warging or had a PoV chapter in which he does, it is unknown how powerful a warg Rickon really is. He does have a strong bond with Shaggydog as shown by their similar traits such as wild and generally angry.

Direwolf:

• Direwolf Name: The name of Rickon’s dire wolf is Shaggydog and while this may just seem like a possible name a child would give a pet, there is most likely more to this name. For starters, it is a possible reference to a Shaggy Dog Story aka a story with a big build up but an anti climactic ending. While this may mean that ultimately Rickon’s storyline will have an anticlimactic ending I prefer to think of it as the opposite.
  • It is unlikely that Rickon’s story will be a Shaggy Dog Story because while there are a few theories going around about him being a player in the game later on, at the current point in time he has had very little story devoted to him and many people forget about him, considering him to be useless. This is one of the main reason I think Shaggydog’s name means the opposite, that Rickon will have little build up but have a big role to play later on.
  • It is possible that all the direwolves names have an opposite meaning.
  • Lady: While Sansa was initially considered an innocent lady, her involvement in the Game of Thrones has turned her into a manipulative player of the game.
  • Nymeria: For those who don’t know, Nymeria was named after a queen. This could be seen as foreshadowing Arya losing who she is and becoming no-one, the opposite of a queen.
  • Summer: Summer’s name could possibly hint at Bran having a major role during the war with the White Walkers and Winter.
  • Ghost: Could possibly be referring to the fact that of all the Direwolf owners (besides Robb) he is the only one who isn't currently in hiding (i don't think the end of Season 5 or a Dance with Dragons has much effect on this).
  • Could also mean he will wander around as a body with no soul, a possible result of a failed attempt at recreating Beric Dondarrion or he becomes a White Walker. this would mean he will be a body with no soul instead of a soul with no body(ghost)
  • Grey Wind: Currently unsure
  • Direwolf Colour: Shaggydog has black fur and green eyes which is the opposite to Ghost who has white fur and red eyes. The other four direwolves are grey fur with yellow/gold eyes. These 4 can be seen as a middle ground of the two with grey being between Black and White and Gold/Yellow being between Green and Red.
  • The black could also be a reference to a Black Sheep of the pack as Rickon’s wild nature could be seen as an outlier to the rest of the usually calm Starks(besides maybe Arya.)
  • Catelyn’s uncle Brynden Tully is known as the Brynden the Blackfish because he was unlike the rest of the tullys meaning that Rickon could be Rickon the Blackwolf.

Other:

• 7 Starks, 7 Gods: According to this the seven Starks (poor Jon) have traits relating to each of the seven gods in the Faith of the Seven.
    • Eddard is the Father-
      • The Father's face is stern and strong,

he sits and judges right from wrong.

He weighs our lives, the short and long,

and loves the little children

• Catelyn is the Mother
      • The Mother gives the gift of life,

and watches over every wife.

Her gentle smile ends all strife,

and she loves her little children

• Robb is the Warrior
      • The Warrior stands before the foe,

protecting us where e'er we go.

With sword and shield and spear and bow,

he guards the little children

• Bran is the Crone
      • The Crone is very wise and old, and sees our fates as they unfold.

She lifts her lamp of shining gold

to lead the little children.

• Rickon is the Smith
      • The Smith, he labors day and night,

to put the world of men to right.

With hammer, plow, and fire bright,

he builds for little children

• Sansa is the Maiden
      • The Maiden dances through the sky,

she lives in every lover's sigh.

Her smiles teach the birds to fly,

and gives dreams to little children.

• Arya is the Stranger
      • Associated with death.

• In this, Rickon is associated with The Smith mostly because all the other Starks line up well with their respective god.The Smith is associated with crafting and labour and in the Song of the Seven, “put the world of men to right.” While this might not sound like Rickon at the present time it could foretell his rise to power and his role in fixing Westeros and the North after the White Walkers are defeated.
  • The Smith is associated with the Red Wanderer (one of the planets visible from Westeros) which has been given the name ‘The Theif’ by the Wildlings. Tying these together could mean that Rickon is going to steal something, possibly the title of King of the North from Bran.
  • With these two things in mind, Rickon Stark could steal the title of King of the North from Bran and then using his power fix Westeros.

• Role Models: at the end of a Dance with Dragons Davos has set out to retrieve Rickon from Skagos, whose inhabitants are known for living by old laws and being cannibals and savages. This leaves Rickon with a few possible mentors.
  • Osha: She has been with him since they departed Winterfell, as a wildling, Osha will have some unusual views on life and will mostly bring out a wild side of Rickon. She will be the closest to a mother figure he has right now (unless someone else on the island is) and will most likely influence Rickon to accept the Wildlings.
  • Davos: As stated, Davos is heading to pick up Rickon. Davos will most likely treat Rickon as a son as he has lost a lot of his natural sons during the series and so will take the role of Rickon’s father and possible Regent. Throughout the series, Davos has been studying and learning various skills such as reading and writing in order to be a better hand for Stannis, but what if this wasn't the main reason for this. Davos being the father figure for Rickon will help him learn about the various cultures and events that Davos has learnt about and Davos may be able to help Rickon develop his reading and writing skills. (it is stated that he cannot read during Tyrion III,Game of Thrones)
  • Skagosi: From the Skagosi, Rickon could learn some of the old customs of the First Men as well as embrace his wild side. By doing so he will be better prepared for the Long Winter because the Ancient Stark Kings had to be strong in order to survive.
  • Bran: If you are reading this you will know that Bran now has the ability to communicate via weir wood trees. Using this method, Bran will be able to communicate and mentor Rickon on various things. He will be able to assist Rickon in fully realising his warging ability which will be a great advantage during wars. He might be able to use the army of wolves Nymeria has assembled to its full potential.

SUMMARY:

If you hadn't already guessed or you just skipped to the end, I believe that Rickon Stark will have a very big part later on in the series, possibly becoming the King of the North and have seeds set for him to begin rebuilding after the devastation that the various wars will have on Westeros.

After Note:

All in all this could mean nothing and I am just looking way too far into this in order to give Rickon Stark a purpose. (entirely possible)

Nymeria: For those who don’t know, Nymeria was named after a queen. This could be seen as foreshadowing Arya losing who she is and becoming no-one, the opposite of a queen.

Truly we step into bizarro land sometimes, where something is apparently proof of the direct opposite. If GRRM really wanted to foreshadow Arya becoming no-one he would have had Arya leave her wolf nameless.

So when you had first introduced Arya, you knew she was going to become an assassin?

Well she's not an assassin yet. You are assuming she is going to become one. She's an apprentice.

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/george-r-r-martin-the-complete-unedited-interview-886117845

You see, this is why Rickon is my favorite character, he's just savage.

I like your mentor section, but I think the parallels are pretty crackpot-ish. It would be like me saying Shaggydog is related to Scooby Doo because Shaggy and he's a wild canine who uncovers mystical stuff (Killing the unicorn on Skagos).

Rickon is 4 or 5 years old right now. If the last two books cover a similar range of time as the first five, he'll be 5 or 6 years old at the end. He can be important as a symbol for others to rally around, as a living token of an alliance, or even for some magical purpose. But a 5-year-old "using his power fix Westeros"? Does that not sound ridiculous beyond the point of plausibility?

Rickon is 4 or 5 years old right now. If the last two books cover a similar range of time as the first five, he'll be 5 or 6 years old at the end. He can be important as a symbol for others to rally around, as a living token of an alliance, or even for some magical purpose. But a 5-year-old "using his power fix Westeros"? Does that not sound ridiculous beyond the point of plausibility?

So, it occurred to me that maybe ^this^ is kind of what GRRM might be trying to imply with the name "Shaggydog"? Not that Rickon's story will be a Shaggy Dog story exactly, but that Rickon's story might not be finished by the end. So, from our perspective as readers - big build up, no follow through (in regards to Rickon Stark, not necessarily the other Starks).

So, it occurred to me that maybe ^this^ is kind of what GRRM might be trying to imply with the name "Shaggydog"? Not that Rickon's story will be a Shaggy Dog story exactly, but that Rickon's story might not be finished by the end. So, from our perspective as readers - big build up, no follow through (in regards to Rickon Stark, not necessarily the other Starks).

Well, I think he will be passively important in-story. As the best surviving, non-half-tree Stark heir, surely someone can find a use for him.

And there could even be a followup, maybe an epilogue, or some visions of the future by Bran, where we see Lord Rickon Stark of Winterfell marrying the daughter of Alys and Tormund with his life-long advisors and friends (a Manderly, a Skagosi, a wildling, and a southron smuggler) looking on, but still thinking sadly of his direwolf who passed away earlier that year. That could be a satisfying end to his story.

But it's possible he will be a shaggy dog story as you suggest. Maybe by the time he's returned to Winterfell, it's too late to make a difference. Maybe the Boltons have been overthrown, Sansa has been established, and nobody wants to shake things up again, especially with the rumors that the Others have breached the Wall, and he just becomes a footnote in Northern history.

These are just my various thoughts about things relating to Rickon and what I think they might mean. I tried to stick to my own thoughts as much as possible.

General:

• snip

:bowdown: Great Job!

You’ll probably hate my contribution as it is based, in part, on a pronoun reference error.

Maybe there is a wee bit that might be worthy of consideration.

I have been working on a long writing project in which I am theorizing that the “blood” the direwolves taste emboldens the Stark children. Through TRACKING the blood, I noticed several revelations about Rickon that may foreshadow what is to come.

Rickon is as wild as a “winter’s storm”, says Bran in AGoT, and he adds that Shaggy is “as wild as Rickon”. Child and direwolf mirror one another. Shaggydog infuses Rickon with a wild wolfish spirit. With Shaggy at his side, Rickon visits the crypts at least twice, both times without illumination to guide him. Evidently, Shaggydog can see in the dark, and possibly so can Rickon, an aspect of his god-given talents that his siblings may or may not share. Through Shaggy, Rickon is fearless.

Blood unifies Rickon and Shaggy, the direwolf who has already tasted the blood of two victims. Shaggydog has “bitten Gage on the arm and torn a chunk of meat from Mikken’s thigh” (AGoT 573).

Rickon’s dream about Ned in the crypts is prophetic, a clear and lucid vision of a ghost appearing to his son to ask for a meeting in the crypts of WF. Rickon’s dream is quite similar to the “greendreams” of Jojen Reed whom Bran meets in A Crown of Kings.

Thus, these enigmatic dreams may be the onset of the Stark gifts: warging/greendreaming. Since Bran’s warging and greenseeing are surpassing the capabilities of other greenseers, Rickon may develop a talent for greendreams, a “bonus” gift. Arya can warg Nymeria across the Narrow Sea. Will warging/skinchanging across bodies of water be a Bonus gift unique to Arya or shared by all?

On the day after Bran and Rickon both dream of their father, Rickon “unobserved” frees Shaggydog from his chains. Both disappear into the crypts without a torch. Evidently, the blood Shaggydog samples emboldens both the pup and his four-year-old mate. They feed off one another’s budding powers.

In the darkness boy and wolf patiently await a visitation from Eddard Stark. Meanwhile, Bran tries to visit the crypts, but Hodor is too afraid to go down the spiral stairs. Bran complains to Maester Luwin who generously offers to attend him into the crypts, and since Hodor is afraid, Osha the wildling carries Bran in her arms. Summer goes as well, but he prefers staying close to the bottom of the stairs.

Summer and Hodor are “sensitive” to ghostly spirits, and they are creeped out by the supernatural forces at work.

As Maester Luwin’s torch lights the way for Bran, Summer, Osha, and himself, they arrive at Lord Eddard’s grave.

Maester Luwin “thrust his own arm into the mouth of some giant beast” (734). Unfortunately, the darkness sprang at him [Luwin], snarling” (734). Instead of an empty vault, Shaggydog attacks with ferocity. Shaggydog’s jaws latch onto Luwin’s arm, and Shaggydog’s muzzle glistens wet with blood.

“In the drunken shifting torchlight, they saw Luwin struggling with the direwolf, beating at his muzzle with one hand while the jaws closed on the other” (734).

Bran calls Summer to separate Luwin and Shaggydog, and Rickon calls Shaggydog to heel. Then, Rickon finds his “mean”. Emboldened by Shaggy’s taste of hot blood, Rickon assumes an attitude that denotes authority and he issues a warning to Luwin:

“You let my father be . . . You let him be” (734).

Rickon’s boldness mirrors Shaggy’s boldness in his attack of the Maester. Shaggy perceives a threat, recklessly reacting and attacking an innocent.

Bran soothes Rickon, asking his brother about his dream. Rickon assures Bran that father “promised” he would be home tonight.

Losing his patience for Rickon’s ghost dream, Maester Luwin chastises Rickon for not keeping Shaggydog chained in the kennels. Rickon offers a defiant response that evidences that he has no fear of owning his actions:

“Rickon patted Shaggydog’s muzzle, damp with blood. “I let him loose. He doesn’t like chains.” He licked at his fingers” (734).

Rickon is not squeamish: he pats Shaggy’s bloody nose and jaw, and instead of wiping his fingers on his clothes, Rickon licks Maester Luwin’s blood from his fingers. [see grammar notes at the end of this post explaining thee sentence construction and vague reference error.]

Rickon’s symbolic tasting of human blood, even if transfer from Shaggydog’s muzzle, is an important event that speaks to how the blood motif will play out in the game of thrones . [Excerpt from "The Origins of the Blood Motif"]

Thus, Rickon’s magical powers will prove exceptional, as will those of his siblings. They may share the warging gifts, but Martin hints that the Stark siblings have unique powers that set them apart from one another. For example, Bran controls the wind, and he uses the leaves of the weirwood to speak to Theon and to attract his father’s attention.

Rickon has no fear of the dark “early” on, well in advance of his siblings. The Stark siblings share parallel journeys conquering their fears of the dark.

As early as AGoT, Martin suggests Rickon’s warging/greenseeing powers. Since Rickon does not have a POV, Martin hints at Rickon’s bond with Shaggy, their shared natures, and their mutual wildness through the observations of other POV characters.

Rickon tasting Maester Luwin’s blood in the crypts of Winterfell insinuates Rickon’s “blood-thirsty” nature. Here, Rickon tastes “first blood”, a symbolic initiation in Lord Eddard’s empty grave. Many of these images evoke death, and Rickon and Shaggy are surrounded by death.

GRAMMATICAL CLARIFICATION

PASSAGE UNDER EXAMINATION/ANALYSIS:

“Rickon patted Shaggydog’s muzzle, damp with blood. “I let him loose. He doesn’t like chains.” He licked at his fingers” (734).

“HE” is a vague reference. There are two views of the performer of the action “licked” in the last sentence. Is it Shaggydog who licks Rickon’s fingers? Or Rickon who licks his own fingers?

Grammatically, the passage contains prose narrative interrupted by a direct quote, a separate element with words set apart by opened and closed quotes. See the example:

“Rickon patted Shaggydog’s muzzle, damp with blood. “I let him loose. He doesn’t like chains.” He licked at his fingers(734).

The antecedent of HE is the subject of the “first” sentence: Rickon. “Rickon patted Shaggydog’s muzzle, damp with blood. “Rickon Speaks”. “He licked at his fingers”. HE must refer to Rickon for two reasons: it makes sense because “Shaggydog’s muzzle” cannot LICK at his fingers. Second, “he” is a subjective case pronoun that stands in for a noun in a sentence.

I love Rickon.

I think he's going to be the one that moves the Starks away from being super honorable like Ned (like Jon and Robb always tried to be).

I really doubt GRRM is going to skip giving him a good story and just have him pass the Stark name.

I love Rickon.

I think he's going to be the one that moves the Starks away from being super honorable like Ned (like Jon and Robb always tried to be).

What exactly, or even vaguely, do you see a 5-year-old boy doing?

really good stuff in there. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on skagos with rickon, but I think his story will either be left up to our imagination or an epilogue type thing where 20 years later Rickon has united what's left of the north and becomes king of the north. just not enough time for him to grow up enough to do anything vital to the present story.

evita mgfs is correct in her interpretation of that line as far as "correct" grammar usage is concerned. if the he refers to shaggydog then "technically" GRRM is saying shaggydog liked shaddydog's fingers. and shaggydog doesn't have fingers.

this is why grammar matters

really good stuff in there. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on skagos with rickon, but I think his story will either be left up to our imagination or an epilogue type thing where 20 years later Rickon has united what's left of the north and becomes king of the north. just not enough time for him to grow up enough to do anything vital to the present story.

evita mgfs is correct in her interpretation of that line as far as "correct" grammar usage is concerned. if the he refers to shaggydog then "technically" GRRM is saying shaggydog liked shaddydog's fingers. and shaggydog doesn't have fingers.

this is why grammar matters

:cheers: Thank you! :agree:

To adapt Ygritte's words, "They know nothing, ___!" :bang:

I plan to cite you in my further essays! I love your on point observation - Shaggy does not have fingers! :blushing:

Archived