I DID IT

Theda Baratheon

I am so happy for you! You deserved it!

thank you for sharing these wonderful news!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

CONGRATS!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I remember when I was having oh-god-what-about-the-future panic Drac pointed me towards this website which helped a lot.

thank you!

currently writing my CV and already stuck on the personal statement section where ive written it and re written it like 50 times and facepalming once a minute LOL and so the next big journey begins!!!

thank you!

currently writing my CV and already stuck on the personal statement section where ive written it and re written it like 50 times and facepalming once a minute LOL and so the next big journey begins!!!

Feel free to PM it my way if you want a wholly unqualified critique. Writing statements for military reporting periods probably has a fair few differences compared to civilian CVs, but I've written enough of them over the last few years to hopefully have a feel for how they should come across.

I remember when I was having oh-god-what-about-the-future panic Drac pointed me towards this website which helped a lot.

I'm so glad it helped! I had to spend a morning with them when I signed on, but the session was actually useful. I learnt a lot about buzzwords and key phrases, so I can help you out if you need, Theda.

Off the top of my head, my CV goes: Personal profile (a couple of short sentences, including recent graduate and what kind of career I'm looking at pursuing), key skills/achievements (bullet points about my skills, including buzzwords), career history (because I'm mostly applying for marketing/PR work, I list my most relevant jobs with bullet points on the duties, and the rest (cleaning jobs for example) as just simple notes). Then education and references. :)

I've found a lot of jobs through Reed, Indeed and Jobsite. Also agencies have their perks, if you don't mind being called every hour of the day - including Sundays, grumble.

Congratulations, Theda! :cheers:

Told you that you would make it :P so proud of you, make sure you take it to heart. You did it and no one can take that away from you. To accomplish it through hardship makes it all the more triumphant and meaningful.

All of this. :)

Theda - congratulations!! Knew you would do it :) I also got a 2:1 for my degree. It's happy days all around :P

As for CVs.. I know the struggle, lol! But how you write it really depends on the type of job you're applying for :) I think the others have given great advice.

You're a star :grouphug:

Thank you everyone, much appreciated. :) :)

Theda - congratulations!! Knew you would do it :) I also got a 2:1 for my degree. It's happy days all around :P

EXCELLENT!!! :grouphug:

Woohoo!!! We done good :P :cool4:

Would the university be able to help you with the personal statements/ CVs? We have a couple of people at ours who do.

I'm not sure if I even count as a student anymore lmao my uni did job fairs and cv drop in sessions but i never utilized them :( which is my fault but oh well

I'm so glad it helped! I had to spend a morning with them when I signed on, but the session was actually useful. I learnt a lot about buzzwords and key phrases, so I can help you out if you need, Theda.

Off the top of my head, my CV goes: Personal profile (a couple of short sentences, including recent graduate and what kind of career I'm looking at pursuing), key skills/achievements (bullet points about my skills, including buzzwords), career history (because I'm mostly applying for marketing/PR work, I list my most relevant jobs with bullet points on the duties, and the rest (cleaning jobs for example) as just simple notes). Then education and references. :)

I've found a lot of jobs through Reed, Indeed and Jobsite. Also agencies have their perks, if you don't mind being called every hour of the day - including Sundays, grumble.

I'm using the website now and it's already given me a pretty good template for my cv which i've just finished (it's probably crap but sent it to my dad to have a look over)

my only big worry now is just having noooooo clue what job i want to do or even knowing what freakin keywords to type into Indeed

Congratulations Theda! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Regarding jobs, a real estate development firm, I worked for, employed a historian. She researched the history of buildings and sites, wrote little essays and chose art to propagate the projects to investors and buyers.

Another idea would be educational media (?, googling this term took me to christian propaganda radio stations. I don't know the proper term in english.) productions (making, helping to make or advising on historical documentaries), though there is probably little money to be made there, it should go well with your interests and your vast and diverse knowledge of popular culture.

I'm just pelting you with random thoughts, sorry. :P The historians,that I know stayed at university finished their doctor's thesis and became profs.

ETA: Those historians were ten years older than you are now and had rich academics for parents, don't use them as standard.

I'm not sure if I even count as a student anymore lmao my uni did job fairs and cv drop in sessions but i never utilized them :( which is my fault but oh well

Yeah, it could be different for you, but as someone who has only just graduated, the university would be pretty cold to not offer you a bit of help if you decide to approach them. Either ways, good luck with the job hunt!

Congratulations Theda! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Regarding jobs, a real estate development firm, I worked for, employed a historian. She researched the history of buildings and sites, wrote little essays and chose art to propagate the projects to investors and buyers.

Another idea would be educational media (?, googling this term took me to christian propaganda radio stations. I don't know the proper term in english.) productions (making, helping to make or advising on historical documentaries), though there is probably little money to be made there, it should go well with your interests and your vast and diverse knowledge of popular culture.

I'm just pelting you with random thoughts, sorry. :P The historians,that I know stayed at university finished their doctor's thesis and became profs.

ETA: Those historians were ten years older than you are now and had rich academics for parents, don't use them as standard.

I really do love ancient History but I don't think a related career seems that likely. I do like the idea of being a researcher though, research stuff for the BBC would be cool :P might not pay brilliantly but can see myself enjoying that

Even if you've graduated the University's Career Service will still be available to you, I imagine they'll probably spend a lot of their time over the summer helping this year's graduates.

Archived