Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: The North Misremembers (Book Spoilers)

RGBeyondAsshai

That stupid brat. Why this character exist?

Because Dave Hill exists. They're now linked to one another, Dave and Olly, and neither can die while the other survives

Actually, this is a good question. I posit that his entire existence was a mistake. See, he was created to show the violence of the wildling attack in Potato Village, and that by itself is wrong: the wildlings should've been depicted in a more favorable light, not as cannibalistic monsters at worst and gruff bearded warriors at best.

I mean, that's such a fundamental misunderstanding of the text. We're supposed to like the wildlings, dammit.

Olly has killed off two main characters (well, Ygritte wasn't main but she is noteworthy). It just shows the self importance D&D give their own characters, much like Talisa stealing the spotlight for the Red Wedding.

I don't think this is the last we've seen of Olly either. They will ram a redemptive arc down our throats. Olly will be guilt ridden and spill the beans to Edd (who hopefully slaps him silly) or revived!Jon and Olly will have an emotional confrontation and 'it was not Olly's fault, not truly because he is misunderstood and tragic.' Please just kill him. Please.

Keeping Pyp alive and having him take the Olly/Marsh role would have had a bigger emotional impact. I find it hard to care about Olly's motives or his betrayal. :dunno:

It's because the best and quickest therapy in the world is to simply yell at someone and tell them you'd love to do terrible things to them. Brings about psychological healing in no time. It is known.

lol of course. my bad. Creatively it makes sense.

I believe you're the person who posted if D&D got ahold of Buffy and Angel and it was amazing. I'm a thread too late to say it, but oh well.

*Reading and nodding*

Olly-ugh. That was, without a doubt, the most dumbed down way to approach the Wall for this season. Instead of Jon dealing with life of a LC and having Alliser and the stewards disagreeing with all of his decisions, instead of him deciding to send Sam to Oldtown with Gilly and the baby or him turning Stannis down before the LC vote even came up or him letting the Wildlings through and setting them up and marrying one of them to Alys Karstark and and and...

We got a lot of Olly close ups and slow Olly walks of distrust and despair. Olly on the stairs, Olly at the table, Olly as the LC's personal steward instead of Edd (who apparently in the show isn't trustworthy?!) Olly reciting the vow of the NW. Also, not for nothing, but why would Jon make Olly his personal steward? He killed Ygritte. He's a kid with no experience who hates Wildlings because they made stew out of his parents. And he killed Ygritte. Not smart.

As LC, Jon ordered someone to dig a latrine and yes, chopped of Slynt's head. And when he came back from Hardhome where he didn't need to be because no one trusted him and they all said "Well, if Tormund says its okay", his brothers didn't even let him tell the story. Sam ditched him for Gilly sex and "to learn about history" instead of rushing to find an answer to the WW threat at Jon's command, and Alliser let the Wildlings in and then stabbed Jon for letting the Wildings in.

Oh and Ghost saved Sam and Gilly but was rarely anywhere near Jon this season. That was just icing on the Olly show cake.

I really hate Olly.

Also Theon. I will admit, his chapters were rarely my favorite because of all the torture and bad decision making, but when he got to Winterfell everything changed. His walks among the ruins, Bran's voice in the tree etc. Those were all fascinating. On the show he didn't get any chance for evolution. He was just there to remind us why "it can always get worse" when Ramsay is the star of the Winterfell story. Him just suddenly throwing Myranda off the walk was surprising, but not as satisfying because they didn't give him the story that was supposed to be his.

And, though another character who wasn't my favorite, the treatment Stannis got this season was kind of unforgivable. They made him smile, hug his child and share the story of how he moved mountains to save her from grey scale. They did everything they could to make Grumpy Baratheon soft and gushy and then in two episodes they made him a monster who burned his daughter, a failure as a military leader (which was what he was supposed to be fantastic at) and most likely killed him in the most anti-climactic way possible.

Unfairly Anticlimactic could sum up the North story lines. They were some of the most powerful in the books imo. Instead we got Ramsay and Olly.

Oh and Dorne.

Olly Is Coming

The Ollysroad

Lord Olly

Cripples, Bastards, and Olly

The Wolf and the Olly

A Golden Olly

Olly Wins or Olly Dies

The Pointy Olly

Baollyr

Fire and Olly

Olly Remembers

Olly Lands

What Is Olly May Never Die

Garden of Ollys

The Olly of Harrenhal

The Old Gods and Olly

An Olly Without Honor

The Olly of Winterfell

Blackolly

Valar Morghollys

Valar Dollyeris

Dark Wings, Dark Ollys

Walk of Olly

And Now Olly's Watch Won't Stop

Kissed by Olly

Olly Climbs

Olly and the Maiden Fair

Second Ollys

The Ollys of Castamere

Olly's Mom in Valyrian

Two Ollys

Olly and the Rose

Olly Unchained

Ollykeeper

Olly of His Name

The Laws of Olly and Men

Owly

Olly and the Viper

The Ollys on the Wall

More Ollys

The Ollys to Come

Olly of Black and White

High Olly

Sons of the Olly

Kill Olly

Unbowed, Unbent, Unolly

Olly

Hardolly

The Dance of Ollys

Olly's Mercy"

Olly Is Coming

The Ollysroad

Lord Olly

Cripples, Bastards, and Olly

The Wolf and the Olly

A Golden Olly

Olly Wins or Olly Dies

The Pointy Olly

Baollyr

Fire and Olly

Olly Remembers

Olly Lands

What Is Olly May Never Die

Garden of Ollys

The Olly of Harrenhal

The Old Gods and Olly

An Olly Without Honor

The Olly of Winterfell

Blackolly

Valar Morghollys

Valar Dollyeris

Dark Wings, Dark Ollys

Walk of Olly

And Now Olly's Watch Won't Stop

Kissed by Olly

Olly Climbs

Olly and the Maiden Fair

Second Ollys

The Ollys of Castamere

Olly's Mom in Valyrian

Two Ollys

Olly and the Rose

Olly Unchained

Ollykeeper

Olly of His Name

The Laws of Olly and Men

Owly

Olly and the Viper

The Ollys on the Wall

More Ollys

The Ollys to Come

Olly of Black and White

High Olly

Sons of the Olly

Kill Olly

Unbowed, Unbent, Unolly

Olly

Hardolly

The Dance of Ollys

Olly's Mercy"

:bawl: :lol:

Too sleepy to rant properly, but i'll mention this.

Allister Thorne one of the few improved characters is no longer one of the few improved characters

On what account is Alliser Thorne an "improved" character from the books? Because he (more or less) took Donal Noye's role? That's no merit from the show.

An improvement by the show would be the first few Varys-Baelish dialogues (before they got a bit tiresome and uninspired), something that D&D added to the characters that didn't deprive other ones (from existence or from anything). Not this case.

Because Dave Hill exists. They're now linked to one another, Dave and Olly, and neither can die while the other survives

Actually, this is a good question. I posit that his entire existence was a mistake. See, he was created to show the violence of the wildling attack in Potato Village, and that by itself is wrong: the wildlings should've been depicted in a more favorable light, not as cannibalistic monsters at worst and gruff bearded warriors at best.

I mean, that's such a fundamental misunderstanding of the text. We're supposed to like the wildlings, dammit.

I agree, The wildling should be portrayed in a more positive way. They believed they needed some bad guys for the battle of Castleblack, but I it was unnecessary. We understand why they attacked the wall (they just want to survive) and why the Night's Watch didn't let they pass, the battle just happened. A fight with two sides that the fans are rooting for would be very interesting.

A Game of Ollys

A Clash of Ollys

A Storm of Ollys

A Feast for Ollys

A Dance with Ollys

The Ollys of Winter

A Dream of Olly

An Olly of Seven Kingdoms

The Wit and Wisdom of Olly

The Princess and Olly

The Rogue Olly

The World of Ice & Olly (written by Ollyo and Ollynda)

I now have the song Olly Olly Oxen Free in my head. Kingston Trio

Which has lovely harmonies about world peace but is seriously creepy combined with Olly's angry little frown in my head.

I saw something on the internet that I forgot to save. Silly me.

It's a youtube clip (or something) of one of Olly's stare downs with the music from Kill Bill.

(It's about as original as putting in Hide and Seek during a death scene, but it works)

Go back to that the Roose bonding Ramsey scene and just add an extra 15 seconds to the speech "Stannis Baratheon has an army at Castle Black. But he won't stay for long. He wants the Iron Throne, and the road to King's Landing comes right through Winterfell. He means to take the North and some members of Umber and Karstrak have already joined him. If he succeeds the North will join him. But the North is ours. It's yours and mine. Will you help me defeat him?" You can then show some Northerns in Stannis camp and but more importantly D&D could have use the Karstrak betrayal from the books to explain how Ramsey and the "20 good men" got into his camp so there wasn't that big hole to the story.

Dave Hill is potato dad?

Yes, he nurtured him since he was a wee little potato seed. Actually, I don't know, I think D&D birthed the monster but Hill gave him prominence by making him kill Ygritte.

I want Tormund to cut Olly in thin slices and then Mel to burn him and go, "Looks like we've got...french fries!"

Yeeeaaah!

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Also, I feel bad for the actor

Archived