HBO TV Show Rome

Rome is a favorite of mine. I was a big fan of Titus Pullo and Vorenus. Mark Antony was great.

As far as literature is concerned, I really enjoyed Robert Graves, I, Claudius and Claudius the God. I've heard good things about Colleen McCulloughs historical fiction series, Men of Rome. Of course, you can't go wrong with many of much of classical Roman literature(Suetonius, Plutarch, etc.)

Hmm, favorite emperor. Augustus, Claudius, Vespasian. The Julio-Claudians were probably the most interesting: Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero

As far as literature is concerned, I really enjoyed Robert Graves, I, Claudius and Claudius the God. I've heard good things about Colleen McCulloughs historical fiction series, Men of Rome.

Seconded, loved McCulloughs Masters of Rome series and the Claudius books. Also enjoyed Robert Harris Cicero books and Gore Vidals novel about the Emperor Julian.

And yeah HBOs Rome is one of my favorites :)

Seconded, loved McCulloughs Masters of Rome series and the Claudius books. Also enjoyed Robert Harris Cicero books and Gore Vidals novel about the Emperor Julian.

And yeah HBOs Rome is one of my favorites :)

Haha, that one too. :dunce:

I watched Rome last summer. I was a big fan of the show. My favorite characters were Octavian, Atia, and Cicero. Cicero reminded me of Varys.

Has anyone else seen the show?

What are your favorite non-fiction and fiction books on the Roman Republic and Roman Empire?

Who is your favorite Roman Emperor?

Excellent show, too bad they had to rush season 2. Pullo, Octavian and Caesar were my favorite characters in season 1.

I haven't read anything about Rome except a book that was about Hannibal. If there is one thing I enjoy learning more about than Rome, it's the times when Romans got their asses kicked. (prior to the decline period of the Roman Empire)

As for favorite emperors: Augustus and Trajan. (There is a saying about them)

I also like Marcus Aurelius, and, not-an-emperor-but-should-have-been Nero Claudius Drusus commonly called Germanicus.

Rome is where I discovered James Purefoy. He needs to be on thrones, Euron anyone? It was only 2 seasons but they were 2 epic seasons.

He's got hard feelings towards GoT IIRC. Supposedly GoT might have been partially responsible for Rome being canceled.

The first season of Rome is one of the best seasons of television ever. The second season not so much, if it wasn't for James Purefoy as Mark Antony being such a class act, I would have called that season a disaster.

Archived