Is Melisandre so bad?

I know Melisandre gets a lot of heat on this board, and receives a lot of inflammatory statements.

But is she really so bad? Unlike a majority of Planetos, she is aware of the coming threat from the white walkers, and is trying to combat it. She (incorrectly) perceives that Stannis is the fiery savior of the world and does all she can to try and make him king.

I know her burnings are bad, but given what's at stake, I can see why she might want to do them.

I think the burnings are horrendous, and I can't think of a worse way to die, tbh. But my main issue with Mel is that she's not a team player, so to speak. She lies, withholds information, manipulates, and tricks people. Sure, she seems to be convinced it's for 'the greater good', she seems convinced the world will be overrun by White Walkers, etc.

And if there is one thing I am sure of, is that the way out - whatever that might be - can only be achieved by people pulling together and overcoming their petty silly differences.

She wants to save the realm, I believe that is geniune..her methods are questionable and she is frequently wrong, but she does want what is best for the realm

She does it because she believes her God wants her too, and because prophecy said so. If she needed to sacrifice Westeros to bring about this confrontation between Azor Ahai Reborn and the Great Other's champions, she would

She herself knows her interpretation is not flawless. To then declare with confidence someone the saviour of the world and then burn people that dont agree with them seems very dubious. personally I think shes a hypocrite and burns people in vain. No matter how many she murders her god wont do shit. So when its all said and done her "holier than thou" attitiude wont mean nothing.

She may have good intentions but then again thats what the road to hell is made of.

I don't hate her either. She definitely is doing more than most to combat the true bad guy of the story. A lot of people have issues with the sacrifices, but honestly she has been personally responsible for less deaths than most of the other well-liked characters and she has saved plenty of lives. I think it is highly likely that she is not as good at reading the flames as she believes she is.

She does it because she believes her God wants her too, and because prophecy said so. If she needed to sacrifice Westeros to bring about this confrontation between Azor Ahai Reborn and the Great Other's champions, she would

The truth of this is that (assuming the prophecy is true) all of westeros and Essos is doomed if AA doesn't come to save them. Shitty situations sometimes call for a "lesser of two evils" decision. Everyone gives her and Stanis crap for the shadow incidents but how many thousands of innocents would have died if they had t made those decisions. Such is the price of war.

The truth of this is that (assuming the prophecy is true) all of westeros and Essos is doomed if AA doesn't come to save them. Shitty situations sometimes call for a "lesser of two evils" decision. Everyone gives her and Stanis crap for the shadow incidents but how many thousands of innocents would have died if they had t made those decisions. Such is the price of war.

Only true if stannis is AAR. Which we have strong reasons to doubt.

Edit: strong not string, sry

I think the burnings are horrendous, and I can't think of a worse way to die, tbh.

Burnings are pretty bad, but it is a surprisingly quick way to compared to others in ASOIAF.

Drowning,Flaying and crucifixions are all much worse ways to go than burnings. I think the flames burn away the pain receptors after a bit, and most people usually die of smoke inhalation.

So basically her only redeeming feature is she wants to fight the Others, but that's not out of genuine concern for Westeros or humankind. It's purely a religious thing; she sees the Others as servants of the evil god her god is eternally at war with, so she wants to fight them. She thinks the prophecy of AAR is being fulfilled so she wants Stannis to fight them too. Her motivation and methods are based entirely on her fanaticism for her fire god, which doesn't redeem her in my eyes.

So basically her only redeeming feature is she wants to fight the Others, but that's not out of genuine concern for Westeros or humankind. It's purely a religious thing; she sees the Others as servants of the evil god her god is eternally at war with, so she wants to fight them. She thinks the prophecy of AAR is being fulfilled so she wants Stannis to fight them too. Her motivation and methods are based entirely on her fanaticism for her fire god, which doesn't redeem her in my eyes.

Still, actions are more important than intentions. Even if she wishes to fight the Others for selfish reason, she does want to fight them, which counts for something

I despise Melisandre because she is a zealot and I distrust zealots.

And I don't think that because she wants to fight against the Others, that it makes her evil acts somehow better. It's still evil how she manipulates people and lies (I believe that she bald-faced lied to Jon Snow by telling him her vision was of Eastwatch when she wasn't sure that it was).

Still, actions are more important than intentions. Even if she wishes to fight the Others for selfish reason, she does want to fight them, which counts for something

Everyone would want to fight them if they genuinely believed they were coming. But it's kind of like someone telling you an army of demons straight out of the Book of Revelations was making its way down from Nunavut. Of course you're not going to believe they're real or they're coming.

Archived