Other direwolves

Lord Highland

Do you think we will see other direwolves in the books? Obviously, there must have been at least one more, the father of the Stark litter. Other than that, we haven't seen any, although by now we certainly should have: we have been north of the Wall, we have even seen many wargs among the wildlings, and none of them had direwolves, although I imagine all would have tried to warg one given the chance.

Leaf says direwolves will outlast giants and CotF but that might be just the Stark ones reproducing.

I'd be very curious to see how Ghost or Summer would behave around other direwolves, or how these would behave around any of the Stark children, but such encounters seem quite unlikely.

There could be in-story explanations such as direwolves being creatures of the deep wild forest, turned away from the existence of man and his works, but I get the feeling that it might be symbolically corresponding to the rarity of Starks: no extended family to speak about, like the Lannisters and the Tyrells... Unlike the Targaryens, we are likely not going to see any secret Starks popping out here and there... only the four surviving kids and Jon. So maybe the lack of other direwolves might reflect this reality.

No, he actually warged the alpha of a normal wolf pack.

Yes, that I know, but I actually read that prologue last night again for something else and I remember the mentining of a direwolf in it that wasn't Ghost. I'll look for it.

ETA: found it...

Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground, earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well. I am the wood, and everything that's in it, he thought, exulting. A hundred ravens took to the air, cawing as they felt him pass. A great elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back. A sleeping direwolf raised his head to snarl at empty air. Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own, for One Eye, Sly, and Stalker, for his pack. His wolves would save him, he told himself.(aDwD, prologue)

There's a direwolf mentioned when Varamyr's mind is jumping from one thing to the other as he searches for his second life. It might be Ghost, but Varamyr has seen Ghost and had longed to possess him and take him from Jon. So if that sleeping and snarling direwolf was Ghost, I'm pretty sure Varamyr would have attempted to stay in him over his normal wolf pack.

Well, there must be other direwolves around, but we don't get to see them. The Stark's wolves didn't just have a mother. They must have had a father too. However, the fact the mother was dead because she hunted and her pups being alone, implies her mate must have been dead as well. I think she came into heat and had a liaison with a direwolf not of her pack, probably trying to establish as a new alpha couple. But her mate was probably killed by her pack, and she would have been ousted. Hence she's alone, south of the wall (but how did she manage to get south without help is beyond me), with just herself and the litter. But there must at least be a direwolf pack north of the wall she was kicked out of, and another one where the male originated from.

It doesn't have to be two different packs, maybe she just mated without being the alpha so then the alpha female kicked her out. As for crossing south, some people believe bloodraven sent her, and it does seem too big to be just a coincidence.

Still, we have seen giants, we have seen the CotF, we have seen Others, and all of these were supposedly extinct, that was the common belief Seven Kingdoms (including the North) at least. But no one is surprised to see the direwolves still exist, they are only surprised to see them south of the Wall. So all these should be closer to extinction yet we have seen them much more often than we have direwolves. This fact seems to suggest there might be something that prevents such encounters.

The same that with the dragons, there must be more, but we wont see them, the direwolves are to the starks what the dragons are to dany, it makes them unique, perhaps we will see more direwolves in ADOS, but not taking an active part in the wars to come

The same that with the dragons, there must be more, but we wont see them, the direwolves are to the starks what the dragons are to dany, it makes them unique, perhaps we will see more direwolves in ADOS, but not taking an active part in the wars to come

That would be the same only if we had already been to Asshai, where some people believe there might be more dragons, but found no trace of them.

My theory is the Direwolf species migrated North to escape the First men's swords and fire. I like to think Direwolves flourish in The Lands of Always Winter.

As for the litters mother, maybe Direwolfs can still be found South of the Wall but are super rare.

Based on what Leaf tells Bran about Direwolves outlasting all other "magical" beings, I think it is safe to equate them with the magical side of the world in the realm of Dragons, CotF, Giants, Old Gods, etc.

How far back do we have to go to have the last Stark generation with Direwolves? IIRC it is mentioned that the Kings of Winter had their Direwolf carved into stone with them in the tombs of Winterfell.

We are directly told there are no other dragons in the world on multiple occasions, so that is not the same as Direwolves.

Edit: The Others manages to wight a snow bear, maybe they could wight a direwolf.

I'm hoping for a few more dragons at some point.

According to George R. R. Martin,

There are no more dragons known to exist... but this is a medieval period, and large parts of the world are still terra incognita, so there are always tales of dragon sightings in far off mysterious places. The maesters tend to discount those.

Asshai seems to have rumors of dragons, and that is where Daenarys' eggs were said to have been acquired.

Archived