July 2015 Reads

First of My Name

Currently working my way through A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Initially I found the Nadsat slang to be a bit confusing however Burgess was careful and consistent with his use of it and very quickly the meanings become clear through context. Enjoying the read thus far.

Finished up Neverwhere, which was really enjoyable. Great balance of plot and humour, and I particularly liked the London setting because I was able to visualise the places mentioned i. The book. Will definitely be reading more Gaiman in future.

I'm now going to dip back into Shakespeare, though I'm not sure which one yet. Torn between Othello, the Tempest and King Henry V

I'm still reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb, it could have used a little extra editing but it's very good.

I finished that one up last week - it was my favorite Hobb yet. Reading Nemesis Games right now which shouldn't take too long. After that, back to Liveships with The Mad Ship.

Excited that July is finally here - Half a War on the 28th!!!

About half way through The Widow's House and I'm really enjoying it. I love this world he's created and can't wait until the last book is released. I just love all the characters, which is so weird because I couldn't relate to any of the characters in The Long Price Quartet. I also just purchased Half a King, the rest of the Gentlemen's Bastards, and the first book the the Powder Mage Trilogy.

About half way through The Widow's House and I'm really enjoying it. I love this world he's created and can't wait until the last book is released. I just love all the characters, which is so weird because I couldn't relate to any of the characters in The Long Price Quartet. I also just purchased Half a King, the rest of the Gentlemen's Bastards, and the first book the the Powder Mage Trilogy.

The Widow's House was probably my favorite. Really love that series and can't wait for the fifth book.

rereading the wholeness of this saga https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth

hopefully it'll keep me busy long enough until book 6 comes out.

Run away! :leaving: But at the same time, welcome to the board!

Just started A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga #12, I believe!) Miles is in love again, and it looks like Mark will be back. Yay!

I finished Mistborn earlier today, as in it was 12:30am. Frankly I liked the bait-and-switch of the who the bad guy was and how he only makes an appearance in like the last 100 pages or so of the book, however in the same time frame Sanderson sorta had a lot of stuff happen on top of one another that sorta tied up plot lines while at the same time frustrated the read for dealing the big showdown that left the denouement to the epilogue which felt like a weak finish.

Probably going to glance at the Mistborn thread on the Forum...

I started reading Lords and Ladies, I'll admit the Witches books haven't been my favorite though I do like Granny Weatherwax as a character.

I really ought to check out Dagger and Coin someday.

I finished that one up last week - it was my favorite Hobb yet. Reading Nemesis Games right now which shouldn't take too long. After that, back to Liveships with The Mad Ship.

I think I like Royal Assassin better, but I've still got 180 pages left, so who knows. I've already purchased Mad Ship though, I definitely want to continue.

I finished Mistborn earlier today, as in it was 12:30am. Frankly I liked the bait-and-switch of the who the bad guy was and how he only makes an appearance in like the last 100 pages or so of the book, however in the same time frame Sanderson sorta had a lot of stuff happen on top of one another that sorta tied up plot lines while at the same time frustrated the read for dealing the big showdown that left the denouement to the epilogue which felt like a weak finish.

I think it won't feel like that anymore if you read the rest of the trilogy, it puts the events of book 1 in a very different perspective.

The Widow's House was probably my favorite. Really love that series and can't wait for the fifth book.

I think The Tyrant's Law was my favorite so far. Clara was just so awesome in that one, and Marcus and Kit too.

The main thing I'm currently reading is Daniel Polansky's Tomorrow, the Killing, the second in his Low Town trilogy. This has been a great dark fantasy series so far. A Thieves' World like fantasy slum setting filled with criminals and low-lifes is something I've always loved, and Polansky has some actual writing chops he uses to set some great scenes & atmosphere. It also helps that this installment is set during a miserably hot drought while I myself am suffering a sweaty summer in the city too.

I started Name of the Wind. I wonder what others on this board think of Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not very far in, but so far, so good.

I have seen Rothfuss mentioned in the same breath as Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch since I guess they all came on the scene at around the same time. I've read & loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can't say the same for Red Seas Under Red Skies. (I stopped there with Lynch). Haven't read any Abercrombie.

I think it won't feel like that anymore if you read the rest of the trilogy, it puts the events of book 1 in a very different perspective.

I have Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages on my shelf waiting to be read, they are currently #3 and #7 on my TBR list, so if the ending of The Final Empire is made clearer or can be seen in a different perspective then I'll be happen to revise my view.

I've been reading Touch by Claire North for what feels like a very long time, and I'm only halfway. It's not that it's not a good book, it's a great read, I just can't focus long enough to keep reading more than a few pages at a time in the past few days. Reality is just too difficult and absurd and while books have always been my way of escaping, this time it's just not working.

Archived