July 2015 Reads

First of My Name

I started Name of the Wind. I wonder what others on this board think of Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not very far in, but so far, so good.

I have seen Rothfuss mentioned in the same breath as Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch since I guess they all came on the scene at around the same time. I've read & loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can't say the same for Red Seas Under Red Skies. (I stopped there with Lynch). Haven't read any Abercrombie.

From what I've seen, he's generally well liked.

I stopped after Lies, RSuRS didn't seem interesting enough.

I started Name of the Wind. I wonder what others on this board think of Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not very far in, but so far, so good.

I have seen Rothfuss mentioned in the same breath as Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch since I guess they all came on the scene at around the same time. I've read & loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can't say the same for Red Seas Under Red Skies. (I stopped there with Lynch). Haven't read any Abercrombie.

He's liked here, but in other forums even more. He's arguably the most rated high fantasy author after Tolkien, Martin and Jordan. Personally I like him more than the likes of Abercrombie and Sanderson.

Name of the Wind is excellent. One of the best books I have read.

He's liked here, but in other forums even more. He's arguably the most rated high fantasy author after Tolkien, Martin and Jordan. Personally I like him more than the likes of Abercrombie and Sanderson.

Name of the Wind is excellent. One of the best books I have read.

He actually seems quite divisive on this forum. Though I think most agree his prose is pretty good

He actually seems quite divisive on this forum. Though I think most agree his prose is pretty good

Yep. This forum seems to like more authors whih write dark and grim stories.

In polls in many forums/reddit I have seen Kingskiller Chronicles being rated just below ASOIAF and LotR and probbaly WoT.

Definitely agree for his prose. In fact, I liked his prose more than that of any author bar Tolkien. The dialogues between Kvothe and Denna were amazing.

Anyway, he seems to be as slow as Martin which is a shame. Also, the sequel of Name of the Wind, while good, was a significant downgrade.

Rothfuss fans can be...intense at points.

The same can be said for Martin's, Tolkien's and especially Sanderson's fans. Or anti-fans.

I liked Name of the Wind and will continue the story, though I've heard there is a significant drop-off. It's good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as the authors mentioned. In the same ballpark as Mark Lawrence and Scott Lynch.

I liked Name of the Wind and will continue the story, though I've heard there is a significant drop-off. It's good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as the authors mentioned. In the same ballpark as Mark Lawrence and Scott Lynch.

I'll be interested to read what you think of Read Seas Under Red Skies. I saw in a previous post that you picked up the other Gentlemen Bastards books that follow Lies.

(So far I'm still really enjoying Name of the Wind.)

Up next is Kushiel's Choice by Jacqueline Carey. I adored the first book and can't wait to dive into this one.

I read Kushiel's Dart and liked it, but not enough to pick up the next book.

Last First Snow was pretty awesome. For the first time in the series the main cast is made up of previously important characters; though there still is no repeat protagonists. I love this series SO much.

Had a copy of The Gods of Laki come my way, a Thriller type of book where bad guys playing with science is the theme.

It was missing forty pages.

I almost didn't notice.

I always like the thought of these science based thrillers more than the exicution but this one was fairly enjoyable.

Finally got my hands on Unclean Spirits, wanted to read this one for some time.

Just finished Laidlaw By William McIlvanney. Good book, nice to see a detective novel where its just a single murder rather than a twisted serial killer with some unique way of doing things. Some of the descriptions and prose stuck out as particularly good though I can't imagine someone not from Scotland making it through the book with a fast pace.

I liked Naomi Novik's Uprooted so I decided to also try her Temeraire series. It's quite different, but still very good. The setting is basically the era of the Napoleonic wars, but with dragons. There is no magic or any fantastical elements at all beyond the fact that there exist multi-ton flying reptiles that can breathe fire, spit acid and do various other strange things. There are many different kinds of dragons and most of them are of approximately human intelligence (some are smarter than others), though they have unique behavioral quirks such as bonding with individual humans. The greatest strength of the series is probably the interaction of the titular dragon with his human. It starts off as more or less heroic fantasy, but this quite quickly runs into the fact that Napoleonic era nation states were not at all nice and the changes made by the setting result in an even greater abundance of child soldiers than were present in our world. It's well worth reading; the first three books are in an omnibus which is $10 on Amazon (for the Kindle version) if you want to try it out.

Finally finished Touch by Claire North. I really liked it even though I felt I didn't do it justice in my present state of mind. Some beautiful writing and an original concept.

I'll start The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley next.

Finished up with A Clockwork Orange. Really enjoyed the read, especially the Nadsat language which not only lends a poetic aspect to the book but is in sharp contrast to the graphic violence portrayed as well. Next up: 1984 by George Orwell.

Finished up with A Clockwork Orange. Really enjoyed the read, especially the Nadsat language which not only lends a poetic aspect to the book but is in sharp contrast to the graphic violence portrayed as well. Next up: 1984 by George Orwell.

One of my favorite books I've ever read. It is really fantastic. Enjoy reading it (and thinking about it for some time).

Archived