What was your favorite battle + pov?

What was your favorite battle + pov in the book

for example

Battle of the Green Fork w/ Tyrion's pov

most of the battles have 1 pov, of course Blackwater didn't

but for me it is Davos's POV in the Battle of the Blackwater, the Bartheon fleet sailing up the bay into the rush, Davos seeing the chain, and his thoughts of it's purpose, seeing the wildfire exploding and his son's demise and then him floating away unaware of his fate....just a great scene.

Hmmmmm...

Really, I must say that the battle of Meereen will blow everyone away when we see it.

From what we have now though, I would say the storming of Griffins roost, not the biggest, but it was so flawless. Refreshing after seeing things through the eyes of a dwarf, or the hectic situation on the Blackwater.

I've got to agree. Davos' POV at the Blackwater was just extremely well written. The way Martin portrayed Davos' reaction to the boat filled with Wildfire really captured a firm sense of awareness and fear. It was also just a fantastic military scene.

What was your favorite battle + pov in the book

for example

Battle of the Green Fork w/ Tyrion's pov

most of the battles have 1 pov, of course Blackwater didn't

but for me it is Davos's POV in the Battle of the Blackwater, the Bartheon fleet sailing up the bay into the rush, Davos seeing the chain, and his thoughts of it's purpose, seeing the wildfire exploding and his son's demise and then him floating away unaware of his fate....just a great scene.

That moment when Davos understands what is about to happen.That instant of comprehension as he locks eyes with his son before the world is engulfed in green light and hes burning and falling and the cold darkness of the water rushes to embrace him.

What I loved about Blackwater was the fact that he gave us multiple PoVs, and on both sides. It was hard not to root for Tyrion and Davos both at the same time. Part of what made Davos's PoV so amazing is that, at the same time you're thinking, "Oh my god, this is horrible", there's a part of your brain still thinking, "Thank the gods that Tyrion's clever plan worked and he's saved the people of KL".

Of course the other part of what made it so great is the part that A Bastard Snow and others have pointed out. Davos's PoV is very well written, and concentrates the action on something very small and human, without losing sight of the massive scope of the battle.

I'm on board with the Davos POV for the Blackwater as well. While Tyrion's was very engaging, Davos was uniquely well-positined (both physically and in a literary sense) to give us good insight into the broader scope of the battle AND its human cost.

Yea we know what 5000 men burned in the Blackwater? (which btw makes Bronn the deadliest being in creation)Yet with Davos we get to witness first-hand the full devastation wrought by Tyrions plan in a way that is deeply personal.Davos witnesses his son literally disappearing in front of his eyes.It helps to show the sheer destruction caused by the Wildfire

Lol, didn't see you there.

I must admit that I am surprised anyone else even thought of it.

Ya I was in a poll thread about people's favorite 3 chapters out of all the chapters, and out of the hundreds of people who commented, I think I was literally the only person who mentioned this chapter. Jon con has it down to a science, but I also love it cuz I'm a huge blackfyre/ gold company fan.

Hmmmmm...Really, I must say that the battle of Meereen will blow everyone away when we see it.From what we have now though, I would say the storming of Griffins roost, not the biggest, but it was so flawless. Refreshing after seeing things through the eyes of a dwarf, or the hectic situation on the Blackwater.

This. On both points.

@James of the Blackwater: I follow these favorite POV chapter threads, always suggesting Tyrion VIII, Game 62. I know you went with Davos III, Clash 58, but you're the only other person I've ever seen give any love to Tyrion's POV durringthe Battle of the Green Fork. For the record, my second favorite would be Davos's POVduring the Battle of the Blackwater.

Archived