What will Jon Connington do once...

TheOne-EyedHound

I don't think the truth will be confirmed until after Aegon's death. At that point, Connington would feel worse than he had before, failing House Targaryen not once but twice, and having fought against RHaegar's sister on behalf of a false pretender.

If Connington were to find out right now, I don't know what he would do. I think he would mention the information to the captains of the GC, keep an eye on Aegon after telling him the truth and fight in Dany's name.

I reckon that Aegon is a Blackfyre but it wont be confirmed at all in the series, it'll just be a little thing that none of the characters piece together. I don't think that he'll survive the series tho. I'm a subscriber to the belief that he's designed to start Danys invasion of Westeros while she finishes shit in Essos and thus I think that Aegon is just a plot tool rather than a serious contender for the throne.

Death, he knew, but slow. I still have time. A year. Two years. Five. Some stone men live for ten. Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffin’s Roost again. To end the Usurper’s line for good and all, and put Rhaegar’s son upon the Iron Throne.

Then Lord Jon Connington could die content.

he will sit Rhaegar´s true son on the Iron Throne.

ETA: he might even think Rhaegar named him Jon because of him... that would certainly make him very happy..

I don't buy the Aegon as Blackfyre theory. I just don't see the point of wanting to put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne if it can only be done by telling everyone, including (at least, it seems) himself that he's actually a Targaryen.

I reckon that Aegon is a Blackfyre but it wont be confirmed at all in the series, it'll just be a little thing that none of the characters piece together. I don't think that he'll survive the series tho. I'm a subscriber to the belief that he's designed to start Danys invasion of Westeros while she finishes shit in Essos and thus I think that Aegon is just a plot tool rather than a serious contender for the throne.

Totally agree. Just like we're never going to get a definitive "this character is AA reborn" moment, Aegon's parentage will remain a matter of debate long after he dies of greyscale.

I

Totally agree. Just like we're never going to get a definitive "this character is AA reborn" moment, Aegon's parentage will remain a matter of debate long after he dies of greyscale.

George doesn't like to give us much in the way of definitive conclusions. If Cleganebowl happens, we aren't going to get a Cersei POV where she acknowledges that Sandor Clegane is the Valonqar. Nothing like that.

With regards to Aegon, it is entirely plausible that he is indeed who he says he is. The problem with this question is how would Jon Connington ever possibly find out. If Aegon is a Blackfyre, it is quite likely that neither Varys nor Illyrio would have told him. All the better that he truly believe his identity to better facilitate such a ruse. So who would know? Varys, Illyrio, and MAYBE the Captain of the Golden Company. That last one is unlikely. If Jon has raised Aegon from such a young age, I'm inclined to believe that he would at some point sought confirmation of the story. There is little doubt that he believes it right now, his POV doesn't betray any notion that he is in on the facade. Aegon's parentage will likely remain a mystery for quite sometime.

Looking at things from Connington's POV, we don't know much about his greyscale. It varies in terms of speed. Regardless of whether or not he dies before Aegon sits the iron throne, I fully predict he won't be able to hide it that long and will be sent away.

I think Aegon is a fake, but i think Jon wont really care. He doesn't seem to trust Varys or Illyrio and to my knowledge he was only with Aegon because of his 'supposed' father. From the way he regarded him about his eyes i think he is already holding some doubt deep down. Personally i think he would just use this as an opportunity at revenge against all the current lords.

It is an interesting question. Jon Connington may never have to face this dillemma, but if he does, especially if he knows at the same time that a real son of Rhaegar is still alive, and that he has simply groomed the "wrong boy" for kingship for such a long time, it will be a true conflict of the human heart. After investing so much in Aegon, he must have some direct feelings for the boy (ones that have nothing to do with Rhaegar). The deception (if Aegon is indeed fake) is not Aegon's fault. It wouldn't be so easy for him to just abandon the boy in the middle of a war perhaps, but supporting him would probably mean betraying Rhaegar in Jon Connington's eyes. It could be a very GRRM-esque dilemma...

he will sit Rhaegar´s true son on the Iron Throne.

ETA: he might even think Rhaegar named him Jon because of him... that would certainly make him very happy..

I don't think this will happen, but damn it if that isn't a nice scenario you layed out there. It tugs the old heartstrings in the right ways. Perhaps if Jon's coronation is sooner than usually predicted, this is a possibility, but I don't think his greyscale will stay dormant long enough. Unless someone is able to come up with a medicine now that magic has returned to the world. I think the role of his greyscale will be far more immediate, pushing him into paranoia and increasingly erratic behaviour when Faegon sidelines him in favour of his new advisors (mainly his Queen Arianne, the GC command, the Faith Militant and perhaps Varys or Illyrio). What happens then is anyone's guess, but the fact that the Greyscale has the added effect of making someone very hard to kill, that might come into play when a certain person tries to Kevan him if you know what I mean :)

I don't think this will happen, but damn it if that isn't a nice scenario you layed out there. It tugs the old heartstrings in the right ways. Perhaps if Jon's coronation is sooner than usually predicted, this is a possibility, but I don't think his greyscale will stay dormant long enough. Unless someone is able to come up with a medicine now that magic has returned to the world. I think the role of his greyscale will be far more immediate, pushing him into paranoia and increasingly erratic behaviour when Faegon sidelines him in favour of his new advisors (mainly his Queen Arianne, the GC command, the Faith Militant and perhaps Varys or Illyrio). What happens then is anyone's guess, but the fact that the Greyscale has the added effect of making someone very hard to kill, that might come into play when a certain person tries to Kevan him if you know what I mean :)

Greyscale is a magical disease if the legend is true. it will come back strong now that dragons are back..

but any virus that is meant to be highly contagious shouldn’t kill fast.. it should give time to its host to spread the disease around.

Jon con´s greyscale doesn´t mean he will die soon IMO, contrary to what many here believe.. i think its a plot device to have TEam Ageon make many mistakes.. starting by leaving Essos without dany and her dragons..

Aegon is a teenager.. who risks all for a quick win.. A healthy JonCon would advise a much more conservative approach.. a Long Run game.

But a JonCon with greyscale reinforces Aegon´s tendency towards a risky strategy.. Time is of the essence now.

Maybe JonCon spreads the disease around.. maybe not. but what i´m sure, is that he will live to see the ending of the story.. or close to... he will, in my opinion survive the Dance of Dragons 2.0.

And when that war is over and Dany dies as well, Jon (Snow) Targaryen will be the compromise candidate for the Iron Throne. the perfect candidate actually, he will have no part in the Dance (therefore no conflict with any house of both factions) but he will be the hero of the War for Dawn. He has the best claim. He was raised by Ned Stark, someone respected by everyone..Son of Rhaegar beloved by many. and so on..

he will be supported by people on both factions of the second Dance.

Including Jon Connigton i think. helping Jon sit the iron throne cpuld be the last thing he does.. .

Yeah, everyone just assumes he is blackfyre.. too obvious, but as you said, i think he (we) would never know for sure

Too obvious? No, no, no, no, no and no.

What you really mean is, a few hundred hard-core book readers know about this so it can't be true. Even though thousands and thousands and thousands (there are millions of people reading these books) haven't even considered the idea of him being fake.

Disagree completely with "we'll never find out".

Daenerys has been told she will slay the lie of aegon targaryen. That doesn't mean she'll slay him, it means she will completely and utterly destroy the illusion of him being real.

Unlike the gravedigger and azor ahai, it holds no textual meaning for GRRM to never tell us the truth on this matter.

Archived