Hawaii first state to ban plastic grocer bags

DireWolfSpirit

oh ffs, first people are upset that they can't fold a bag well enough to fit it in their pocket or wallet. now someone is crying because they have to *gasp* wash something. Who the fuck doesn't wash things? do you cry about having to clean your kitchen counter after each use?

Huh? I toss the fiber bags in the washing machine on a regular basis. The plastic bags I use for packaged goods and clothing and other non organic stuff.

FNR has expressed alarm that he'd be made to wash stuff.

I hate to do the unthinkable and defend Walmart, but I believe they use 'corn' based plastic bags rather than the more conventional oil-derived ones. And you have to give them a little credit, they are making outreaches in their supply chain to obtain more sustainable sources for all their products, not just plastic ones.

I am presuming the corn plastic (or polylactic acid) based bags are more biodegradable than the polyethylene based ones.

(Note: I cant find if Walmart actually replaced all its plastic bags to the corn ones; the clerk at the checkout counter last week mentioned their sustainable bags, and I did some digging of the chemistry. I asked for paper bags but they didnt have any.)

Pointless feel good gesture.

http://reason.org/files/how_green_bag_ban.pdf

I hate to do the unthinkable and defend Walmart, but I believe they use 'corn' based plastic bags rather than the more conventional oil-derived ones. And you have to give them a little credit, they are making outreaches in their supply chain to obtain more sustainable sources for all their products, not just plastic ones.

I am presuming the corn plastic (or polylactic acid) based bags are more biodegradable than the polyethylene based ones.

(Note: I cant find if Walmart actually replaced all its plastic bags to the corn ones; the clerk at the checkout counter last week mentioned their sustainable bags, and I did some digging of the chemistry. I asked for paper bags but they didnt have any.)

Plastic bags are mainly made from natural gas.

As I said, plastic is a blight on this world. So replace plastic bags with brown paper bags.

Problem solved.

Are trees also a blight on this world? I for one am a fan, I must say. I'd rather not see one environmental problem replaced with another because some people feel like it's too much effort to carry 100 grams of fabric and wash it occasionally.

I am not 100% sure if plastic bags are banned in Austin, TX, but I am pretty sure that they are. I can't think of any stores around me that have them. I think they'll charge you to use paper bags or you can bring your own reusable ones. DC began charging for plastic bags right before I moved away from there. I remember that clearly because it took me by surprise one day when I bought a whole bunch of groceries that were scattered everywhere and the clerk asked me if I wanted bags. Ummmm.... yes? I think Scotland charged for bags too when I was there.

Conveniently, both when in Glasgow and in Austin I live less than a block from a grocery store so I just bring my backpack when I need to go shopping and use that as my reusable bag. Not a big deal, really. I guess I'm used to it at this point.

Really? I decide to do some shopping while I'm already out quite regularly.

I'm might pick up a thing of milk or similar, but I wouldn't bother with a bag for something like that. Though thinking about this, I realize that I'm in a fair better position to plan my shopping sessions since I live pretty close to both the supermarkets.

The plastic bags are being replaced by canvas reusable bags. In my experience the stores are reluctant to provide paper bags. I could be wrong but the vast majority of cases are handled by offering reusable canvas or cloth bags (which absolutely do not fit in pockets or wallets no matter how well you fold them).

One irony of the recent craze for canvas bags is that I now have over 100 in my house and cars. At some point I'll clean house and throw about half of them away today but i have no idea whether i can recycle them or just dump them in the trash...

If you've got to get rid of them, donate them.

The plastic bags are being replaced by canvas reusable bags. In my experience the stores are reluctant to provide paper bags. I could be wrong but the vast majority of cases are handled by offering reusable canvas or cloth bags (which absolutely do not fit in pockets or wallets no matter how well you fold them).

One irony of the recent craze for canvas bags is that I now have over 100 in my house and cars. At some point I'll clean house and throw about half of them away today but i have no idea whether i can recycle them or just dump them in the trash...

One of the things my friends and I have been doing at Christmas is skipping wrapping paper and using gift bags instead, because they can be reused. This past Christmas I did wrap some presents, but put them in a box, and in the box the gifts were wrapped in some of the nice canvas bags I had picked up over time. That way when they were unwrapped the paper and the boxes went into the recycling bin and the person receiving the gift had bags to carry home their gifts in.

Archived