"Lyanna had grey eyes" = not canon

WeaselPie

A remarkable find by a friend, up for discussion.

Per the wiki for Lyanna Stark

Lyanna is described by all who knew her as beautiful, with the grey eyes and long face that characterize the Starks.

The wiki cites AGoT Chapter 12, Eddard II. Lyanna's eye color is non-existent in this chapter.

In fact, we can't find it stated anywhere that Lyanna had grey eyes.

We've got quite a list of grey eyes in the story canon, but not once Lyanna.

Waymar Royce

Ned Stark

Sandor Clegane

Brandon Stark

Stevron Frey

Maester Luwin

Quorin Halfhand

Styr, the Magnar of Thenn

Varamyr Sixskins

Val

Jon Snow

Arya Stark

Bronze Yohn

Haldon

Marlon Manderly

Homeless Harry Strickland

Arnolf Karstark

Gordan I Grey-Eyes, a Gardener King

Rodrik Cassel

Benjen had blue-grey eyes, just to complete the picture of the Stark siblings in question. I'm also not including those with mixed or variations of grey eye color (Mance/Rattleshirt when Mance is glamored, Varamyr (warged), Petyr, possibly Roose Bolton, etc). Those included in the list are probably not as important- as a whole (except for the number of them) - as Lyanna NOT being on the list.

We don't find it in novels, it's not in the WB, it's not in the App or SSM's. So we haven't found this in either canon or semi-canon or authoritative canon (Ran's recently new category? not sure how this will affect the wiki).

Because a few people didn't read this part, I'll bold it:

Arya reminding Ned of Lyanna doesn't count if he doesn't mention eye color. We all know people who look remarkably like relatives without having the same coloring.

If anyone can find a canon reference that Lyanna had grey eyes, we'd be interested in seeing it!

Canon debates never end well. You should be able to decide for yourself what is and isn't a part of your ASoIaF experience without someone else telling you. Canon pretty much is just another word for opinion anyways.

sorry, I just want to know if Lyanna actually had grey eyes. Cause it's nowhere.

Hmmm, when GRRM doesn't mention a character's eye colour, something is usually a foot. Perhaps when Jon returns he might have changed in a way that brings out the true colour of his eyes (namely a Targaryen shade, inherited from Rhaegar), where before his eyes looked Starkish because of his dark hair. Or perhaps it's nothing, that is just as likely ;)

Is Arya not compared to Lyanna in both looks and personality often?

Yes, but this doesn't necessarily mean that Lyanna shares the same eye colour as her. One can look strikingly similar to another without sharing the same eye colour.

Interesting...

I would also like to know where it is mentioned that elves have pointy ears in LOTR. That has been bothering me for years.

Never seen any hint for that either. And my reading list included pretty much everything published.

Both cases seem to be preconceived notions messing up the actual work.

A remarkable find by a friend, up for discussion.

Per the wiki for Lyanna Stark

Lyanna is described by all who knew her as beautiful, with the grey eyes and long face that characterize the Starks.

The wiki cites AGoT Chapter 12, Eddard II. Lyanna's eye color is non-existent in this chapter.

In fact, we can't find it stated anywhere that Lyanna had grey eyes.

We've got quite a list of grey eyes in the story canon, but not once Lyanna.

Waymar Royce

Ned Stark

Sandor Clegane

Brandon Stark

Stevron Frey

Maester Luwin

Quorin Halfhand

Styr, the Magnar of Thenn

Varamyr Sixskins

Val

Jon Snow

Arya Stark

Bronze Yohn

Haldon

Marlon Manderly

Homeless Harry Strickland

Arnolf Karstark

Gordan I Grey-Eyes, a Gardener King

Rodrik Cassel

Benjen had blue-grey eyes, just to complete the picture of the Stark siblings in question. I'm also not including those with mixed or variations of grey eye color (Mance/Rattleshirt when Mance is glamored, Varamyr (warged), Petyr, possibly Roose Bolton, etc). Those included in the list are probably not as important- as a whole (except for the number of them) - as Lyanna NOT being on the list.

We don't find it in novels, it's not in the WB, it's not in the App or SSM's. So we haven't found this in either canon or semi-canon or authoritative canon (Ran's recently new category? not sure how this will affect the wiki).

Because a few people didn't read this part, I'll bold it:

Arya reminding Ned of Lyanna doesn't count if he doesn't mention eye color. We all know people who look remarkably like relatives without having the same coloring.

If anyone can find a canon reference that Lyanna had grey eyes, we'd be interested in seeing it!

That is quite remarkable how a preconceived notion has no basis in the canon. I wonder how:

Made it in the wiki with a non-existent citation.

Canon debates never end well. You should be able to decide for yourself what is and isn't a part of your ASoIaF experience without someone else telling you. Canon pretty much is just another word for opinion anyways.

Not quite. Canon refers to the direct source, factual statements taken from a text. People can interpret passages differently, but the definition of canon is pretty clear cut.

Interesting...

I would also like to know where it is mentioned that elves have pointy ears in LOTR. That has been bothering me for years.

Conflating the LOTR books and the recent movies is no help for this discussion, although it's well-known that Tolkien fashioned his elves on earlier models in folklore who did indeed have pointed ears. In the Bakshi version they are not pointed because it wasn't in the canon, but Jackson chose to depict them as classic Elves. With pointed ears.

So you're certain Lyanna had grey eyes? Not sure what you meant.

I was talking about ASOIAF though.

It's probably a mixture of Arya having grey eyes and Jon having grey eyes given the general assumption of R+L=J. If Lyanna didn't have grey eyes then where did Jon get them from?

I wonder the same. A lot of people believe Jon got his grey eyes from Lyanna. But if her eyes weren't grey, this is a problem.

I wonder the same. A lot of people believe Jon got his grey eyes from Lyanna. But if her eyes weren't grey, this is a problem.

It opens up B+A but then there's the timeline problem, also opens up who Lyanna's child is, reigniting lemongate, or non-Blackfyre fAegon.

Ned has grey eyes. He could always have been Ned's bastard. just sayin'

Archived