Blackfyre

anonnyscouse

In ASOIAF we are introduced to a character. Their early life is somewhat mysterious with details mainly provided by another character who seems somewhat unreliable. When they first appear they seem to be a pawn in someone else's plan, but as we see more of them they gain agency and they decide to go their own way rather than to follow the plans set out for them. They are originally helped by a Pentoshi merchant who is good friends with a Lyseni eunuch with questionable ambitions. We also find out that this person was going to be helped by the Golden Company.

My theory is that the story we are told of their real birth is wrong and that this person is in fact from the female line of the Blackfyre. The original child died very young and this person was given their identity when they were too young to know any different.

Do you think this is possible?

Dany does (and I don't know why you're making us guess). Not sure who you're thinking switched her out with a supposed "Pisswater Princess", nor what Varys & Illyrio would be doing mucking about with Aegon if, assuming they are secret Blackfyres, the plan was to put Dany on the throne the whole time (from their perspective, what's the point of Aegon in this scenario?). The whole reason people buy the possibility of the Pisswater Prince is b/c Varys, through his alter ego guard, knows the ins and outs of KL, the same way Cheese did. Who knew Dragonstone that well?

I'm not going to say, because it's clear on these boards that people have opinions set in stone about certain characters. I will say I was inspired by the following post though:

That's not new either.

Thing is...all of the evidence points to there being a Blackfyre, but not necessarily to who it is. The knee-jerk, no thought required, automatic thought is that it's Aegon. Which is why I think there's a chance that it isn't. Kid makes a great potential smokescreen. And wouldn't it be a far better twist to have the Blackfyre in the story be someone who showed up in the series before book 5? Everybody's looking to the right, when the character we should worry about is on the left. If Martin turns out to have done that, my respect for him as a writer will go even higher, and it's pretty high already.

ETA: It's easy to flip the fAegon theory onto Dany if you consider that the only witness we have to Dany really being Dany is Viserys (is he really more reliable than Varys?). My theory is that the real Dany died very young, she may have been a sickly child considering Rhaella must have been quite old when pregnant (if you consider Rhaegar's age). The theory regarding fAegon being Illyrio and Serra's son could then be flipped to Dany being Illyrio and Serra's daughter.

My theory is that the real Dany died very young, she may have been a sickly child considering Rhaella must have been quite old when pregnant (if you consider Rhaegar's age).

when ur this paranoid, ur going to go through a tough time convincing ppl on this board

It is totally possible. Varys and Illyrio are good at keeping secrets. It certainly seems that Aegon is Varys' endgame and not Danaerys. I don't think Varys' issue is that a Targaryen must rule. He states to Kevan at the end of ADoD that Aegon has been raised to "believe that the throne is his duty" and not his right. I think Varys doesn't care about legitimacy at all and just wants a competent ruler on the throne. That said, it makes perfect sense to foster the rumor around someone who looks like a Targaryen and whose alleged identity would trump any other claims to the throne.

I'm not going to say, because it's clear on these boards that people have opinions set in stone about certain characters. I will say I was inspired by the following post though:

ETA: It's easy to flip the fAegon theory onto Dany if you consider that the only witness we have to Dany really being Dany is Viserys (is he really more reliable than Varys?). My theory is that the real Dany died very young, she may have been a sickly child considering Rhaella must have been quite old when pregnant (if you consider Rhaegar's age). The theory regarding fAegon being Illyrio and Serra's son could then be flipped to Dany being Illyrio and Serra's daughter.

GRRM already has Jon not knowing who he truly is, and has planted possible clues to Tyrion not being who he thinks he is. Then there are all the theories about other character's hidden pasts. The secret identities are getting a bit crowded. If Dany has any secrets to who she is, it would be that she is Jon's twin sister--and I find that highly unlikely.

I have to say on a more text-based note. Illyrio would NOT have given his daughter in marriage to Drogo, and he would definitely not be supporting Aegon over her. If Illyrio is a Blackfyre or BF sympathizer, then Dany isn't the Blackfyre. His actions don't bear that out.

Archived