The 10 most moral important characters in the serie (full results)

Lord Freypie

Disclaimer : This is not a discussion thread about other posters choices, please don't start "how could you name character X he did this and that ?" arguements. I've added characters to exclude from the list as second poll question, so people can vote against characters if they want.

In a serie with so many nuances of grey characters I was curious to know who are the ones the readers still consider pure white / most morale, or at least the lightest tones of grey (especially after the 3 or 4 obvious choices). So I had the idea of this poll.

Considering the numbers of characters of Asoiaf, I considered restricting the choices to PoV, but after reflexion I think it would be sad not being able to name some non-PoV characters who may be clear role models. Still I'd ask people to only include important characters in their lists (say characters appearing in several chapters and having long enough dialogues / important enough actions for their morality to be relevant - ie : nominating someone like Darkstar who has an important action, or Pycelle who has a large number of dialogs is fine - examples chosen not to influence the vote ;) - ; but please avoid nominating characters like Howland Reed who doesn't even appear in the serie, Pate the Tommen whip boy we know nothing about or other totally secundary characters like Masha Heddle).

The poll will be open for 4 days then I'll count the points as 20 for first choice, 19 for second, etc... And -10/-8/-6 for the characters listed as "to exclude from the whitest characters list" and publish the results in coming week.

So list the (up to) 10 characters you consider the most moral (starting with the "whitest"), then list up to 3 likely to appear in other readers lists but who shouldn't be considered so, if you want, starting with the "blackest" (I think it's not really needed to list Ramsay and Gregor as characters to exclude, as it's not very likely they'll be nominated). In the two cases you are free to list less than the maximum number. You may give reasons for your choices, but not discuss other people ones.

(I'll give my own answers later to keep poll OP neutral.)

(edit : typos)

Whitest? Haha poor choice of wording.

Don't know from where come this tradition to call morale ambiguity "grey" and use terms like "dark grey" or "light grey" to describe characters, but I guess it means "good" characters are somehow "white". No racism intended. :)

Edited the title to be clearer.

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Edmure Tully

3. Sam Tarly

4. Baelor Breakspear

5. Ned Stark

6.Briennne Tarth

7. Dunk

8. Glendon(?) Flowers(Fireballs son)

9. Barristan Selmy

10. Arys Oakheart

1. Stannis Baratheonn,he is my favourite Character but he is fairly grey

2. Tommen Baratheon, nice kid but he is mostly just a plot device

3 Saint Tyrio the Awesome,because the show sucks

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Jon Snow

3. Edmure Tully

4. Sam Tarly

5. Sansa Stark

6. Brienne of Tarth

7. Asha Greyjoy

8. Rodrik the reader

9. Doran Martell

10. Bran Stark

1. Ned the hypocrite. Not a bad person but certainly not as good as he'd like to think. keeping to flawed principles is not the same as having high morals in my opinion. The law can be wrong, especially in Westeros.

2. Daenerys Targaryan, I'll just mention all the people she burned and crucified so people don't forget. Doesn't mean she's a horrible person (especially in the world of asoiaf) but she's not white.

3. Arya Stark, I love her but being trained to become an assissin is not a good thing, not for her either, I'm hoping she'll leave her vengeance behind eventually.

1.Septon Meribald

2.Sansa

3.Brienne

4.Davos

5.Ned

6.Samwell

7.Missandei

8.Jon

9.Hodor... probably more

1.Stannis

2.Daenerys

3.Robb

Edit: Did not know whether or not septon Meribald would be considered relevant enough to add to the list, but other posters added him to theirs so I will do the same.

Edit: I read it wrong...

1)Davos

2)Jon Snow

3)Barristan

4)Brienne the beauty

5) Garlan Tyrell(He stood up for Tyrion)

6)Sansa

7)Hodor

8)Shireen

9)Sam

10) The Ned

1)Arya - assassin, and kills people she doesn't know.

2)Roose - self interest, and plain evil.

3)Jaime - self interest, kills innocents, and becomes "good" once he loses his hand.

1) Maester Luwin

2) Davos Seaworth

3) Brienne

4) Eddard Stark

5) Catelyn Stark (pre stone heart)

6) Beric Dondarion

7) Donal Noye

8) Ellaria Sand

9) Barristan Selmy

10) Kevan Lannister

1) Stannis Baratheon - No question he is supposed to be a grey character

2) The High Sparrow - The guy is a maniac

3) Doran Martell - His story is too based on vengeance, plus the whole 'fire and blood' thing

1. Jon Snow - wants to save and unite humanity, can't kill an anonymous old guy and can't resist helping people in distress, really an obvious hero if he has a blind spot when it comes to hating Boltons and Lannister

2. Davos Seaworth - not blinded by his adoration for Stannis, tries to make him better ; even his support of Stannis is morale by itself as motivated by considering him just

3. Ellaria Sand - great speech against war and revenge, even more admirable when she's been the first to suffer the death of her lover
4. Eddard Stark - obvious honorable lord role model but doesn't seem to consider avoiding war as a priority
5. Edmure Tully - seems to show real concern for his smallfolk and vassals well being, if also for his own
6. Sansa Stark - her few discuttable actions/thoughts are the result of her naivety or education not of not having a good heart
7. Brienne of Tarth - loyal, honorable, disgusted by the horrors of war, if her motives to support various characters may have nothing to do with morality

8. Catelyn Tully - prejudice against bastards and cutting the fool throat should make her lose some points compared to similar Ellaria Sand. Still a light grey character.
9. Daenerys Targaryan - best intentions in the world if consequences weren't really great, and her "justice" is "a bit expeditive"

10. Doran Martell - very concerned by his people well being, still can't resist chosing revenge

(special mention : was going to give one of the first places to Septon Meribald, but after reflexion considered him not important enough)

To exclude :
1. Stannis - see Cressen prologue
2. Arya Stark - accepting to kill an unknown guy in addition to being revenge obsessed
3. Robb Stark - his pillaging of the westerlands would have changed how readers view him had it appeared onscreen

1. Sandor Clegane- is the epitome of what a true knight should be but chooses not to be because it has been soiled by people like his brother.

2. Davos Seaworth- is just and fair and protects innocents even at risk to himself.

3. Jon Snow- helps thousands of known enemies of his order to safety for the good of mankind.

4. Garlan Tyrell- doesn't judge people.

5. Eddard Stark- Does the honourable thing always.

6. Duncan the tall

7. Baelor Breakspear

8. Brienne of tarth

9. Rodrik harlaw

10. Edmure tully

1. Septon Meribald

2. Beric Dondarrion

3. Thoros of Myr

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Edmure Tully

6. Davos Seaworth

7. Jon Snow

8. Ellaria Sand

9. Eddard Stark

10. Garlan Tyrell

1) Sandor Clegane: Just because he's honest about the evil shit he does (like cutting children in half, you know) doesn't mean he's moral

2) Asha Greyjoy: Love her, but she did go with Balon's stupid plan of raiding the Stony Shore, and didn't support Theon's idea of an alliance with the North until it suited her and she nicked the idea and used it in the kingsmoot

3) Kevan Lannister: If Varys of all people says you're a good man, it doesn't hold much weight. He burned the Riverlands at Tywin's command.

1. Septon Meribald

2. Thoros

3. Edmure Tully

4. Davos Seaworth

5. Donal Noye

6. Jon Snow.

7. Ellaria Sand

8 Samwell Tarly

9. Brienne of Tarth

10. Sansa Stark

Exclude:

1. Arya Stark - Love her but she's totally willing to kill strangers to win the favour of assassins

2. Barristan - Moral coward who stood by while innocents burned and protected a tyrant, all to protect his crappy ass honor. "Honorable" but not moral.

3. High Sparrow - Religious fanatic, not good.

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Septon Meribald

3. Maester Luwin

4. Samwell Tarly

5. Ellaria Sand

6. Jon Snow

7. Brienne Tarth

8. Gendry

9. Shireen Baratheon

10. Bran Stark

Exclude:

1) Stannis - done a lot of good and bad - definitely not what I'd call "pure"

2) High Sparrow - crazy religious fanatic who dishes out torture and calls it penance

3) Sandor Clegane - one of my favorite characters because of his complexity - but not a saint by any means

1) Davos Seaworth

2) Barristan Selmy

3) Brienne of Tarth

4) Samwell Tarly

5) Edmure Tully

6) Jon Connington

7) Rhaegar Targaryen

8) Renly Baratheon

9) Robb Stark

10) Tyrion Lannister

1) Jaime Lannister- Kills his king and has an incestuous relationship with his sister.

2) Stannis Baratheon- Kills his brother and almost burns Edric Storm.

3) Jon Snow- Forsakes his vows with Ygritte and attempts to gather a force from the Night's Watch and wildlings to fight the Boltons.

1. Septon Meribald

2. Davos Seaworth

3. Brienne of Tarth

4. Edmure Tully

5. Eddard Stark

6. Beric Dondarrion

7. Thoros of Myr

8. Sam Tarly

9. Ellaria Sand

10. Balon Swann

1- Stannis Baratheon. He's done too much bad to be considered that morally upstanding

2- Barristan Selmy. Changes sides when it suits him, while hypocritically judging Jaime for his honor

3- Gerold Hightower. "You swore a vow to guard the King, not to judge him"

Archived