Terminator Genisys (spoilers... beyond the trailer)

Corvinus85

It's been 2 days since its release, at least in the U.S. and no discussion here? How the mighty have fallen.

I haven't seen it yet either :P but I probably will see it today since I have nothing better to do anyway. I am wondering if it will be worth the $8 my local theater will charge me.

Discuss.

It was... well I know that it will get torn apart piece by bloody piece here, but I thought it was pretty damn good myself.

It had bits and pieces of a really good movie in there, hampered by the fact that this is a pg-13 movie that clearly needed to be an R.

Arnold is as great as ever, while Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke are just kind of... there. Jason Clarke is pretty damn good too as John Connor.

It's about a 7 for me.

Better than 3 and Salvation, but nowhere near the first two.

It's been 2 days since its release, at least in the U.S. and no discussion here? How the mighty have fallen.

I haven't seen it yet either :P but I probably will see it today since I have nothing better to do anyway. I am wondering if it will be worth the $8 my local theater will charge me.

Discuss.

I went to see Mad Max again and had to sit through a blip where Steven Spielberg sat obviously uncomfortably in front of a poster and talked about how great and 'fresh' the GENIEYSYEES movie is while still being 'true to the originals'. A load of horse shit, I'm sure. Reviews seem overwhelmingly negative, and the trailers got progressively worse so I'm predicting a flop.

I might see this when it comes out on DVD just out of morbid curiosity, but I have no desire to see it in the theater. Unless one of my goddamn friends drags me along or something.

The trailer was a bag of rotten dicks and I seriously doubt the film will be any better.

LOL. Yeah, you have to assume if they couldn't even make a good trailer out of it...the movie they want to resurrect the franchise...it has to be bad. I'll definitely see it some time, netflix, cable, whatever, but in the theatre? Ridiculous.

I went to see Mad Max again and had to sit through a blip where Steven Spielberg sat obviously uncomfortably in front of a poster and talked about how great and 'fresh' the GENIEYSYEES movie is while still being 'true to the originals'. A load of horse shit, I'm sure. Reviews seem overwhelmingly negative, and the trailers got progressively worse so I'm predicting a flop.

Why the hell was Steven Spielberg saying stuff about terminator?

Why the hell was Steven Spielberg saying stuff about terminator?

Ha! Wow, I knew I was doing that even as I wrote that post...

I meant James Cameron, of course. For whatever reason, I say Spielberg when I mean Cameron. I have no earthly idea why that happens, but this is not the first time. :dunce:

Better than 3 and Salvation, but nowhere near the first two.

:agree:

I went in with very low expectations, and the movie exceeded said expectations.

Arnold and his one liners were enjoyable, and Emilia Clarke wasn't as bad as I expected. The studio really bombed it with that trailer where the twist with John Connor is shown. It would have made the first time experience even better. The call backs to the original movie were nice.

Terminator fight scenes were good, especially the final one. The helicopter chase was probably the dumbest part in the movie, especially since in the end it served no purpose, other than Arnold delivering one of the classic one liners.

The alternate timeline and various time travel tropes were confusing at times, like the part at the very end, or the part where the 1997 judgement day became irrelevant. The ending was in general quite confusing. I'm not sure if Skynet was destroyed or not. I guess it depends on whether or not they're making another one. ;)

Also, based on how Skynet was represented at times, my guess is that after its defeat, it traveled millions of years in the past to another planet, where it found an advanced race of giant, aquatic creatures. With the help of these beings, Skynet created a race of machines called the Reapers, and re-named itself the Catalyst. Yep, crossover. :lol:

6/10 for me, worth a cheap movie ticket

I'm really looking forward to the day that Hollywood gives up on Jai Courtney.

We still have the joy of "Suicide Squad" before there's any chance of them giving up on him. They do seem to think he's this generation's Bruce Willis for some reason.

The studio really bombed it with that trailer where the twist with John Connor is shown.

I don't think I'll ever be able to reconcile how promoters thought that was a good idea.

My brother told me the same "best outside the first two - ok. Probably wait for it on TV/Cable". He also said Arnie was the strongest element which is good to hear but probably damning of the rest of the cast.

Corvinus,

:agree:

I went in with very low expectations, and the movie exceeded said expectations.

Arnold and his one liners were enjoyable, and Emilia Clarke wasn't as bad as I expected. The studio really bombed it with that trailer where the twist with John Connor is shown. It would have made the first time experience even better. The call backs to the original movie were nice.

Terminator fight scenes were good, especially the final one. The helicopter chase was probably the dumbest part in the movie, especially since in the end it served no purpose, other than Arnold delivering one of the classic one liners.

The alternate timeline and various time travel tropes were confusing at times, like the part at the very end, or the part where the 1997 judgement day became irrelevant. The ending was in general quite confusing. I'm not sure if Skynet was destroyed or not. I guess it depends on whether or not they're making another one. ;)

Also, based on how Skynet was represented at times, my guess is that after its defeat, it traveled millions of years in the past to another planet, where it found an advanced race of giant, aquatic creatures. With the help of these beings, Skynet created a race of machines called the Reapers, and re-named itself the Catalyst. Yep, crossover. :lol:

6/10 for me, worth a cheap movie ticket

Wait, they reconned the franchise to cross over with a bloody video game?

Will this be the death of the Terminator Franchise?

This is the first of a new planned trilogy, so I doubt it. It also apparently opens up the movies to the wider Terminator "multiverse" so that if this fails spectacularly, well, there's more "stories" to tell.

Corvinus,

He's joking. The Reapers and Catalyst are from the Mass Effect series. Which is infinitely better written than this movie.

Anyway, I will say this is a pretty bad movie, but slightly more entertaining than Jurassic World. And Genisys is quite a bit more intelligent than Jurassic World, which I guess is faint praise because Jurassic World has the mental capacity of an inbred snail.

It's going to bomb though. I think the only reason the situation with Jurassic World and Terminator are not reversed is because people were feeling for dinosaur action right now and not robots, and JW was marketed way better.

Corvinus,

Like Humble said, I'm joking. Skynet appeared at one point as the hologram of a kid. Even the voice sounded a lot like the holographic kid from ME3.

Archived