Jaime Lannister Warden of the East

Lord Freypie

Is he officially ?

Robert stated he had decided to name him instead of Robin Arryn, when discussing with Eddard on the road, but the decree is never discussed again after this conversation iirc.

Had Robert changed his mind offscreen and never named him ? (Seems he is warden of the east in acok appendix, so he was really named, but may be a mistake from the editor ; in ADWD's nobody has this title ; don't have other books in editions with appendixes)

Has George just forgoten about that afer first chapters ?

Was Jaime being "warden of the east" here to foreshadow something ?

Have i missed other mentions of this title, ie that it was given back to Robin or LF at some point ?

Edit : I should have made a search, in Asos there's...

Lord Tywin turned back to Littlefinger. "If Lysa Arryn will take you for a husband and return to the king's peace, we shall restore the Lord Robert to the honor of Warden of the East. How soon might you leave?"

So the title was probably given back to Robin.

I feel like the subject was brought up by GRRM to point out just how little trust Robert has in Stannis, and how pandering he's become to his in-laws.

Yea this.I feel like Jon Arryn was like hell no but once he died Robert was like to do it to get Cersei to shut up or something similar.And I imagine Ned facepalming when Robert suggested that.

Still it may be foreshadowing something.

As Sansa is in the east and Jaime may be reminded his oath by LSH, it may be a sign he will travel to the Vale (and lead its armies ? I hardly imagine how it can happen).

Or as Danaerys/Aegon are coming from the east it may mean Jaime will lead the army opposing Targ restoration, as in Tyrion's dream.

I feel like the subject was brought up by GRRM to point out just how little trust Robert has in Stannis, and how pandering he's become to his in-laws.

Yea this.I feel like Jon Arryn was like hell no but once he died Robert was like to do it to get Cersei to shut up or something similar.And I imagine Ned facepalming when Robert suggested that.

Yes and yes.

Still it may be foreshadowing something.

As Sansa is in the east and Jaime may be reminded his oath by LSH, it may be a sign he will travel to the Vale (and lead its armies ? I hardly imagine how it can happen).

I also think this highly unlikely. Also, Jaime never showed himself a good battle commander anyway since he was beaten by Robb a few times.

On the other hand (pun intended) he maybe gained some more insight and less hot headed since he lost his hand.

I also think this highly unlikely. Also, Jaime never showed himself a good battle commander anyway since he was beaten by Robb a few times.

On the other hand (pun intended) he maybe gained some more insight and less hot headed since he lost his hand.

Bryndenbfish does a very good analysis on Jaime's command capabilities before and after his capture and his evolution into a great tactician and strategist.

To be honest I'm surprised Ned didn't name Yohn as the Warden

House Royce was an ancient enemy of House Arryn, and they've been their bannermen ever since. Giving the wardenship to Yohn would be a huge insult to the Arryns.

In the appendix of the second two books he is listed as Warden of the East, but not so after that.

I would assume Martin realized that it made absolutely zero sense for a Lannister to be named warden of the east so he just never mentioned it again.

Why would Jon Arryn be consulted? He was dead.

To be honest I'm surprised Ned didn't name Yohn as the Warden

Ned tried to get Robert to make either Stannis or Renly the Warden. If he couldnt get Robert to do that he was hardly going to convince him to make Yohn the Warden.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, it is purely a ceremonial position. It does not come with lands or money.

Why would Jon Arryn be consulted? He was dead.

Ned tried to get Robert to make either Stannis or Renly the Warden. If he couldnt get Robert to do that he was hardly going to convince him to make Yohn the Warden.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, it is purely a ceremonial position. It does not come with lands or money.

Well, it has to mean something significant, or else Ned wouldn't have cared.

Well, it has to mean something significant, or else Ned wouldn't have cared.

It's symbolic only and an insult to the Arryn's, who Robert seems to have forgotten put him on the throne

While Robert was alive maybe jaime could have excercise some power as warden. Once he was dead though I can't imagine bronze Yohn and Co allowing themselves to be led by Jaime

It's symbolic only and an insult to the Arryn's, who Robert seems to have forgotten put him on the throne

While Robert was alive maybe jaime could have excercise some power as warden. Once he was dead though I can't imagine bronze Yohn and Co allowing themselves to be led by Jaime

Considering Yohn is one of if not the most powerful lord in the Vale is friends with Ned and is known for being loyal and honorable I'm surprised he wasn't named Warden.There was literally no other choice.Anyone else and people would be pissed.

Considering Yohn is one of if not the most powerful lord in the Vale is friends with Ned and is known for being loyal and honorable I'm surprised he wasn't named Warden.There was literally no other choice.Anyone else and people would be pissed.

Wouldn't removing Jamie's position piss off the Lannisters, which are ten times more powerfull than the Royce

Naming a vale lord other than the Arryns would be just as bad if not worse. It's one thing to name someone from another great house but another to name a vassal of the previous and historic Wardens.

No I think anyone but Robert Arryn is an insult which will piss people off. Yohn would be a good choice but the title is more symbolic and so the passing to of it to anyone but an Arryn is disrespectful

Naming a vale lord other than the Arryns would be just as bad if not worse. It's one thing to name someone from another great house but another to name a vassal of the previous and historic Wardens.

The only Arryn was Robert a sickly child.So naming him would be foolish.And we don't have any female Wardens so no Lysa or Lady Waynwood.The Knight of 9 Stars isn't even a lord.I honestly can't think of any one else other then Yohn.I highly doubt anyone would speak against Yohn.And no one would doubt his loyalty.

The only Arryn was Robert a sickly child.So naming him would be foolish.And we don't have any female Wardens so no Lysa or Lady Waynwood.The Knight of 9 Stars isn't even a lord.I honestly can't think of any one else other then Yohn.I highly doubt anyone would speak against Yohn.And no one would doubt his loyalty.

The following could go through Yohn's mind:

"Hey I am the warden of the East so I guess that means the crown think the Arryns aren't worthy of the Vale anymore so I should take control."

Archived