Teacher kills rabbit

Arakan

Gross. I'm vegetarian and I'd desperately want more people to be completely aware of what they are eating and where it comes from but no way in hell is killing a rabbit in front of unsuspecting children in a classroom the way to go about educating people. It's disgusting. Any animal would be just as horrific. I don't even like rabbits, but that doesn't mean their lives are worth less than cats and dogs because I'm not as fond of them.

As someone who has both eaten rabbit and has pet rabbits, I think that's terrible. There are far better ways to show where meat comes from than bringing a rabbit into class and killing it.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with showing children where their meat actually comes from, but there's got to be a better way of going about it than just killing an animal in the classroom without any warning. Perhaps some in-class discussion about agriculture and food supply followed by a class trip to a working farm or something.

As much as I want to be angry over the entire thing, I just can't be. Perhaps my feelings would be different if it were my child in the classroom or even me in the classroom, but I have always felt that one of the consequences of modernization is our detachment from the food web. I hate blood, guts, and emotional trauma as much as the next person, but at what point do we face up to biology and the natural processes of the food chain. Granted there is a right and wrong way to go about it, but based off of what I read it isn't as if the teacher came in with a cleaver and suddenly chopped their heads off.

Considering our roots as hunter-gatherers, this seems a bit ridiculous.

Dude just rolled into class one day and offed a rabbit? That's some Hannibal Lector shit right there.

I agree. That teacher ought to have his head examined.

There are other ways to teach where meat comes from. One has to wonder why this "teacher" chose that particular way to get his point across.

From what I remember most people consider cute to be big eyes little button noses and round faces.

things most human babies all have.

I've seen it reported many times that nature has programmed us to want to care for infants of our species, and as a result other animals that remind us unconsciously of human babies.

Kewpie doll effect

Yup, the fact that he is supposed to have done it twice is particularly odd. How was it not known after the first day, so the principal could have stopped him before repeating it?

And the article does not seem to mention how old the kids were, only that it happened in a high school (Gymnasium - which can be anything between 11 and 18 as far as I know).

This is horrific to be honest with you. I agree with others saying trips to farms or even slaughterhouses (with parents consent and warning from teachers about what to expect) might be a good idea to teach teenagers where food is from but just fucking using a nail gun on a rabbit in front of unsuspecting children is horrific.

This is horrific to be honest with you. I agree with others saying trips to farms or even slaughterhouses (with parents consent and warning from teachers about what to expect) might be a good idea to teach teenagers where food is from but just fucking using a nail gun on a rabbit in front of unsuspecting children is horrific.

Real question: would the age be a determining factor? It does seem a bit unhinged to walk in and put a bolt in a rabbits head under the pretense of "teaching," but would this be less of a deal if it were a classroom full of adults? What constitutes "secondary school" in Austria? Is it essentially the same "secondary" in the United States? That would imply they are teens.

Real question: would the age be a determining factor? It does seem a bit unhinged to walk in and put a bolt in a rabbits head under the pretense of "teaching," but would this be less of a deal if it were a classroom full of adults? What constitutes "secondary school" in Austria? Is it essentially the same "secondary" in the United States? That would imply they are teens.

I think the age is important yes, but my opinion stays the same regardless of the age of the *unsuspecting* audience of people. And the fact remains that there are MUCH better ways to educate people on food sources that murdering an animal with a nailgun in front of unsuspecting and non consenting people.

I think the age is important yes, but my opinion stays the same regardless of the age of the *unsuspecting* audience of people. And the fact remains that there are MUCH better ways to educate people on food sources that murdering an animal with a nailgun in front of unsuspecting and non consenting people.

But he didnt actually murder the rabbit. He killed it and supposedly later ate it.

But otherwise, yes it was wrong what he did because obviously some of the pupils were shocked by it.

This pretty much sums up what I think about this whole thing.

Yup, the fact that he is supposed to have done it twice is particularly odd. How was it not known after the first day, so the principal could have stopped him before repeating it?

And the article does not seem to mention how old the kids were, only that it happened in a high school (Gymnasium - which can be anything between 11 and 18 as far as I know).

in my country ( Poland ), you go to gymnasium after primary school ( 6 years, you start at 6 or 7 ), so in first class of gymnasium you are 12 or 13, in second 13 or 14 and in third 15 or 16.

in my country ( Poland ), you go to gymnasium after primary school ( 6 years, you start at 6 or 7 ), so in first class of gymnasium you are 12 or 13, in second 13 or 14 and in third 15 or 16.

Yes, I realise there are different school systems, but the incident happened in Austria, not in Poland. ;)

When I was so small that I barely remember it (about 4 I guess) my mother took me to the slaughtering (actually not the killing, but the butchering, making sausage etc.) of a pig at my grandparent's place. (This was the mid-1970s.)

They did not raise pigs but apparently bought one once a year to have it butchered and get their own meat and sausage (this must have been one of the last times they did that, I have no re-collection of later slaughterings). I only very dimly remember the hanging, probably already halfed pig and slightly better later the butcher filling sausage stuff into the appropriate guts. As the animal was already dead I was probably too young to be grossed out by the further proceedings.

Anyway, children used to grow up with these things until a few decades ago (and still do in many parts of the world).

Still, it's of course wrong to kill a cute rabbit in front of children without warning or parent's consent. In any case it would have been better to bring a dead rabbit and show the dressing, cleaning, butchering to show where meat comes from.

Still, it's of course wrong to kill a cute rabbit in front of children without warning or parent's consent. In any case it would have been better to bring a dead rabbit and show the dressing, cleaning, butchering to show where meat comes from.

That's apparently what happened, according to the director.

Der Direktor wiederum sagte der Wochenzeitung "Niederösterreichische Nachrichten", dass die Kinder das blutige Spektakel nicht hätten mitansehen müssen. Der Lehrer habe ihm versichert, "dass beim Tötungsakt selbst entgegen den Darstellungen in anderen Medien kein Schüler dabei war", zitiert das Blatt den Direktor.

http://www.spiegel.de/schulspiegel/blutiger-unterricht-lehrer-toetet-kaninchen-und-seziert-es-a-1041962.html

Translated:

The director on the other said to the weekly "Niederösterreichische Nachrichten", that the children did not have to to witness the bloody spectacle. The teacher had reassured him "that during the act of killing, no pupils were present, against depiction in othermedia", the paper cites the director.

The pupils were 14, on average. Don't know whether I believe the pupils or the teacher. Probably the teacher.

When I was 14 or 15 the biology teacher brought a bunch of cow's? hearts and we were supposed to examine their parts (and probably also cut them up to some extent) in smallish groups. I think in our group most of the work was done by a guy who was interested in hunting anyway. (In Germany you cannot just grab a rifle and go hunting, you need a license and to get it you need to attend evening lectures for a year or more and pass an examination, I think that boy was attending these and had often accompanied hunters and probably helped dressing/cleaning game). I do not remember if one could be excused from that lesson if one was too squeamish.

In any case, if there were student's crying and pleading for the life of the animal, the teacher did definitely do something wrong. Even if he killed the rabbit "off-stage" which seems still in doubt.

While I think that "trigger warnings" (before reading Ovid because horny gods chasing nymphs) and modern squeamishness are absurdly exaggerated nowadays, that teacher very probably went to far in the opposite direction.

Archived