Benjen joined the night's watch because of Ned.

TPTWP Timett

Ok so Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during the rebellion I can't prove that, but it makes sense. Benjen did all he could for the glory of his house. He stayed true to the old gods and served Ned well during the war. Naturally Benjen was expecting at least a small holdfast where he could raise kids of his own. However there's a problem Ned knows any children Benjen may have are a threat to his children so he refuses. Benjen then ask Ned's permission to tour the seven kingdoms, and marry his betrothed which Ned also refuses out of fear that Benjen will betray him. Finally stressed out from lack of sleep from a nagging Cat plus two screaming babies Ned frames Benjen for a small crime and gives him the choice Nights watch or Ice.

I find it more likely Lyanna sent Benjen a letter Ala Romeo and Juliet and Benjen didn't tell his father or brothers cause he wanted his sister to be happy.Then after all that happened his guilt got the better of him feeling responsible for his brother father sister and thousands dying that he joined the Watch.

Oh well, next time make it interesting bait.

Benjen was never betrothed, by the way.

I actually believe that Ned and Benjen had some disagreement. Rather he was betrothed or not is not mentioned in the books. I'm pretty sure he tells Jon he might care about fathering no children if he knew what it meant. Which implies he at least knew what he was giving up Ned may be to honorable to frame his brother but he could make his life uncomfortable until he left on his own.

Ok so Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during the rebellion I can't prove that, but it makes sense. Benjen did all he could for the glory of his house. He stayed true to the old gods and served Ned well during the war. Naturally Benjen was expecting at least a small holdfast where he could raise kids of his own. However there's a problem Ned knows any children Benjen may have are a threat to his children so he refuses. Benjen then ask Ned's permission to tour the seven kingdoms, and marry his betrothed which Ned also refuses out of fear that Benjen will betray him. Finally stressed out from lack of sleep from a nagging Cat plus two screaming babies Ned frames Benjen for a small crime and gives him the choice Nights watch or Ice.

This would be totally out of character for Ned.

Makes sense. That is why we see Benjen betraying Ned, make an alliance with LF and cut his head. This is what we are going to do from now on until the WOW?

This would be totally out of character for Ned.

I know just wanted to discuss if Ned could be responsible for Benjen joining the NW and had to start somewhere. I could argue fathering a bastard (or telling the whole country a lie) was out of character too but he did one or the other.

Benjen was of an age with Lyanna, much younger than their two older brothers. Benjen was sharing her secrets, she had no sisters, helping her, for the KotLT, training with her. Maybe helping or knowing of her meeting with Rhaegar. And he felt some responsibility for the events that happened before the rebellion.

I'm sure he took the Black for that. I'm sure he will have things to say when we will see him again and alive.

I find it more likely Lyanna sent Benjen a letter Ala Romeo and Juliet and Benjen didn't tell his father or brothers cause he wanted his sister to be happy.Then after all that happened his guilt got the better of him feeling responsible for his brother father sister and thousands dying that he joined the Watch.

Totally this

Except that another cadet branch under Benjen would help to secure the continuation of the Stark dynasty rather than being detrimental to it... The way it is the Starks are believed extinct in the male line. When it comes down to it, only Rickon might easily continue the line, if they can get him off Stragos, he lives to adulthood and does not prove to be either infertile or gay.

If Benjen had become a lord of a holdfast and produced heirs...they might still be around and might be able to raise the Stark banners once more once the current storm blows over.

Historically noble families tired for as many heirs as possible to ensure the continuation of their bloodline. In Universe we only really have that with the Lannisters, who have a whole town full of replacement Lannisters, Lannys, Lantells, Lannetts ....all which they will be in dire need of once both Cersei and Jamie croak.

I agree with this, to an extent. I thought Benjen joined the Night's Watch because a Black Brother spoke at the Harrenhal tourney and he took his words to heart?

I agree with this, to an extent. I thought Benjen joined the Night's Watch because a Black Brother spoke at the Harrenhal tourney and he took his words to heart?

Archived