Dany's "Child"

So I went through this forum looking for possible explanations of Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy (if it could be called that) in AGOT

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

and found that most explanations agree that the "sun" in the prophecy is Quinten, the "seas" refers to the Dothraki sea, the "mountains" being alternatively the pyramids in Mereen (after Viserion and Rhaegal destroyed them) or the fall of Gregor Clegane ("the Mountain"). The last part of the 'prophecy' remains a little vague.

In her last chapter in ADWD Dany gets what she at first thinks is her moon's blood. But then she notes that the time was wrong and the flow was...erm....heavier than usual

Moon blood, it’s only my moon blood, but she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow.

Which ofcourse opens the already discussed possibility of her having miscarried. Whether the baby daddy was Hizdahr or Darrio, that particular fetus (if there was a fetus) is dead. But it leaves the possibility of Dany getting pregnant again. Some people say that she will name the baby "Drogo" thus bringing him "back", at least in name. I think this is likely.

Now, if we take this to be a somewhat reasonable assesment of the "prophecy" and that Dany could indeed bear another child, who do you think will be the father of said child? I know a lot of people want it to be Daario, but I shudder at the thought of Dany's baby being half a sell-sword. I may be getting way ahead of myself, but I think I can see a plot with a pregnant Dany, raging hormones and all and seeing betrayal everywhere ("everybody wants to hurt my baby"). I don't think it's likely though, seeing as we only have (hopefully) two books left. Maybe she'd get pregnant by the end of the series - if she survives. Bear in mind that Dany has no heirs as of this moment, so even if she does take Westeros, she is quite heir-less.

Thoughts?

Hm..I gotta go with either Jorah,Jon,Euron,Victarion or Aegon.

Euron has appeared in a dream iirc and I can see him hijacking a dragon and forcing Dany to be with him else she will have to fight and kill one of her "children"

I don't expect it to be pleasant no matter who she picks.

Interesting. I tend to consider the mountains more to the pyramids because it's more associated with Dany's story-arc.

I don't like it being Daario's son either... I think it will be the new Khal Dany meets at the end, or Victarion(but only if she is going back to Meereen anytime soon)

Hm..I gotta go with either Jorah,Jon,Euron,Victarion or Aegon.

Euron has appeared in a dream iirc and I can see him hijacking a dragon and forcing Dany to be with him else she will have to fight and kill one of her "children"

I don't think Euron will be able to coerce Dany into anything. I do believe he will "steal" one of her dragons - and maybe control one for a while - but it will backfire very badly on him (think Quentyn but 10 times worse). It will be like Cersei's storyline, he will rise really high among the ironborn (captures a dragon, raids the Reach etc) but then will be brought really low, possibly for good. But I digress. I personally think Dany is beyond the point of being threatened or blackmailed. That may have worked....once. But no more.

Vicatarion..maybe. But I can't see Dany marrying him. I mean if she refused Quentyn..... Victarion may win her gratitude for his help against the Yunkai'i, but nothing more. I can see Dany telling him " I'm grateful, but you presume too much" or something like that.

Jon, Jorah, and Aegon seem possible. But I think Aegon is more slated for marrying Arianne at the moment, what with her being closer geographically and all. And aren't some people saying she is going to kill Aegon ("Slayer of Lies")?

I don't expect it to be pleasant no matter who she picks.

I agree :frown5:

MMD did not make a prophecy

Hence the quotes around the word "prophecy" ;)

But take it as you will, I cannot help but be reminded of a part of Neil Gaiman's Stardust. There, an evil witch binds a princess and tells her that her enslavement ends when" the moon loses her child, if it happens in a week when two Mondays come together", which - impossibly enough - happens. I'm guessing this is similar. Neil Gaiman isn't GRRM, however, so anything is possible.

Weather forecast 9 inches of snow.

Heh heh.

:rofl:

I can't even

Dany: "When will I have another child?"

MMD: "When pigs fly!"

Because Shadowbinders are known for their honesty? lol

The fact is she may or may not have a baby. But if she does, who would be the father? And what are the possible implications of having(insert name here) as the father?

"When the seas go dry". The seas are plural. I don't think it is the Dothraki Sea.

And I believe it is more a curse than a prophecy. Something that is supposed to never happen.

The fact she had a miscarriage (not confirmed), doesn't mean she can have a living child.

The fact she had a miscarriage (not confirmed), doesn't mean she can have a living child.

No, but it would mean her womb quickned again. Which would mean she can get pregnant.

It does sound more like a curse, and curses can be broken (see my Stardust reference above).

"When the seas go dry". The seas are plural. I don't think it is the Dothraki Sea.

I read somewhere it was something to do with the iron born and Greyjoys, but I can't for the life of me remember what.

I don't think MMD was giving her a prophecy. That was just her fancy way of saying to Dany, "girl, your Drogo is not ever coming back"

The man was a vegetable. He was cremated. Not even Melisandre can resurrect Drogo from ashes.

One of the better theories that I have come across regarding Drogo's return involves Drogon. Drogo's soul lives on in Drogon. When all of those conditions pass, Drogon will bond with Dany. She gets Drogo back, but not in the way he was.

Another theory also provides an interesting opportunity. Why does her womb need to be active again in order for Drogo to return? Perhaps Drogo's soul will return to her as a child. She gets Drogo back, but again, not in the way he was.

Really, however, I think MMD was just telling her that Drogo is not coming back. That to me is the most likely meaning. It was not prophecy, nor was it a curse.

But she had a miscarriage. Point is, the foetus/embryo/baby dragonspawn died. Having miscarriages still technically means you're infertile, since you can't bear a living child.

Why does she need to have another child? The whole point of her story is that she's the mother of dragons, Mhysa to the slaves/freedmen, but she can never have what she really wants - a child of her own. She's compensating, that's why she gets so protective. I actually like that part of her story arc, and think it'd be ruined by her having a child.

I really don't think it was a prophecy. Not everything is. It was MMD's really, really eloquent way of saying "the Drogo you know is never coming back".

The only way I'd consider suggesting it was a genuine prophecy is in a more metaphorical sense - she'll become the true mother of dragons/the mother (read: hero/saviour) that the slaves need by returning to her roots, from where she started, and becoming some crazy big Dothraki empress. Drogo will return to you - she'll embrace her Dothraki side and ride Meereen into the ground with a giant khalasar behind her, and by doing that, she'll become a mother again - metaphorically, not literally. And that links into Quaithe's "to go forward you must go back/remember who you are" warnings, which Dany has been so despearately ignoring with her "if I look back I am lost" mantra.

Even that is a massive stretch. I'm pretty certain MMD is simply saying "look, Drogo is gone, you've got some messed up genetics so you can't have kids, and I'm pretty pissed off that your khalasar burned my village to the ground". Nothing more than that.

Again, why do people think I'm insisting that it IS a prophecy? I used the term verrrry loosely in my OP because I couldn't find another way to describe the nature of MMD's words.

I'm pretty certain MMD is simply saying "look, Drogo is gone, you've got some messed up genetics so you can't have kids, and I'm pretty pissed off that your khalasar burned my village to the ground". Nothing more than that.

I disagree. I may be wrong (very wrong) but I still hold that there is something to her words. Why not say "Never" to Dany's question on Drogo's return instead of what seems to be an ominous declaration. Point is, there are a lot of ways she could've told her Drogo was gone for good, many far simpler, yet she chose these words.

Archived