Can The Shadow Lands be conquered?

Mordor

I read in asoif wiki that there are people living in Asshai. Surely they have to have food supplies or something.

"Beyond the walls of Asshai littles grows save ghost grass, whose glassy, glowing stalks are inedible. If not for the food brought in from across the sea, the Ashai'i would have starved."

Actual quote from the Worldbook. The Ashai'i import all their food.

"Beyond the walls of Asshai littles grows save ghost grass, whose glassy, glowing stalks are inedible. If not for the food brought in from across the sea, the Ashai'i would have starved."

Actual quote from the Worldbook. The Ashai'i import all their food.

I thought they made wine in Ashai?

I read in asoif wiki that there are people living in Asshai. Surely they have to have food supplies or something.

They ship in their fresh water. Let that sink in. If the land is covered in ghost grass and the river Ash is poison, then no invading army will be able to be fed. Hell, even animals that are brought into the city sicken and die. The supply lines will be extremely vulnerable and food, water and equipment will need to be carried entirely by men.

I doubt the gems and gold that form a major part of the commerce in Asshai are worth the effort at conquest; it's easier to trade for them than take them. Asshai itself is a trade hub, and any war with it will damage trade in a region defined by trade. Not to mention that its other main export is magic; any invader has to deal with a bunch of sorcerers on top of soldiers and the environment.

Basically nothing lives in the shadowlands, or Asshai. Just the logistics of getting 20,000 men a reliable supply line of food and equipment that far from any major civilization will be a nightmare.

Even if there are no demons and/or dragons, you still can't eat ghost grass. Your men will starve.

Ture, although if there are cities in the Shadow Lands like Stygai I wonder what the populations live off of?

Wait for the Long Night

In complete dark there is no such thing as a shadow

Maybe that is the point of the Long Night.

No one can live in the Shadow Lands. It would not be a question of conquering for living there. But to destroy what is creating the Shadow, maybe the black stone fallen from the sky. The Others and the wights could be the only ones functional there.

After most of Essos is conquered, they could transport food or other vital supplies from Qarth for example. And about the power of the Shadow Lands, perhaps sending a scout to see what kinda of military force they have there. If these sorcerer are like Pyat Pree, then it would be a peace of cake defeating them.

What army would want to?

If Westeros were turned into a Roman Empire style and it's leader were a Alexander the Great person.

Like the weirdest, just having been made awares of broad historical concepts. And it still isnt true by itself, like equal to Alexander conquering North America

Well maybe read about these things in the actual books and not the wikipedia and you wont need back and forth in threads to actually understand it. Nobody is even born in Asshai, the people that live there are supplied wit sustenance strictly through trade

As people already said, its too far away for Westeros type of civilization and it can't be compared with Alexander and India because he conquered everything on his way. I remember hearing that people in Asshai have problems with food and they live there, they know the region. Imagine supplying yourself from Westeros to Shadow Lands, pirates would destroy you, God knows what would happen back in Westeros. Terrain would also allow people to defend easier.

As people already said, its too far away for Westeros type of civilization and it can't be compared with Alexander and India because he conquered everything on his way. I remember hearing that people in Asshai have problems with food and they live there, they know the region. Imagine supplying yourself from Westeros to Shadow Lands, pirates would destroy you, God knows what would happen back in Westeros. Terrain would also allow people to defend easier.

So if a Westerosi empire conquered all the way to Essos, wouldn't they have closeby cities til Mereen or Qarth to supply them?

So if a Westerosi empire conquered all the way to Essos, wouldn't they have closeby cities til Mereen or Qarth to supply them?

The Yi TI emperors neved did it. So, it seems impossible. The land is poluted beyond hope of repair or living there. Asshai is barely inhabited. Better luck with Sothoryos or Ulthos.

That said, I believe the Shadow Land has some contribution to the Long Night. And I believe the Shadow must be cleansed to restore the normal summer - winter alternation. Somehow, but no POV will explore or visit this part of the world during the span of ASoIaF books.

The Yi TI emperors neved did it. So, it seems impossible. The land is poluted beyond hope of repair or living there. Asshai is barely inhabited. Better luck with Sothoryos or Ulthos.

That said, I believe the Shadow Land has some contribution to the Long Night. And I believe the Shadow must be cleansed to restore the normal summer - winter alternation. Somehow, but no POV will explore or visit this part of the world during the span of ASoIaF books.

How cool would it be to get an Asshai/Shadow Land short story or series like Dunk and Egg? Oh, one can dream...

Archived