Sasquan Information Thread

It's just over a month before the next WorldCon kicks off in Spokane, WA. I've seen a few questions here and there about what's going on, and I held off with official updates until everything was in order.

I've started a headcount thread. It's very important that we get an accurate headcount (and get NAMES) of people so we can plan accordingly for the party. Please add your name to that thread if you are going and keep all discussion in this thread.

RSVP here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/132571-sasquan-spokane-wc-2015-attendance-headcount-thread/

Party Info:

We are having ONE party this year. It will be private. That's right: no public party this year. This idea has been bandied about a lot in recent years. The setup in London made private parties impossible, so we're trying it out this year in Spokane.

No word on which day it will be, although I suspect we'll get our usual booking of either Friday or Saturday night. As soon as I get confirmation of what day it is, I will post it here.

Once we know how much the hotel suite will be, we'll calculate donations from that and post them here.

T-shirts:

No BWB shirts this year. Spokane did not inspire, and I will not waste precious natural resources on uninspired stuff. And before you ask: no, you (general you) can't print BWB or ASOIAF-themed shirts yourself and sell them. I have to get special permission every year to create the BWB shirts; not doing so means HBO's hellhounds could sue me (or you) for copyright infringement.

Hugo Ceremony:

The Hugo ceremony is on Saturday this year. You may wish to plan accordingly. :)

The Dragon Has Three Heads, aka Fearless Leaders:

Mr. X and I will not be at Sasquan. (Yes, we're bummed out. But it was just not meant to be this year.) Three mighty warriors have volunteered to stand in our stead. They will be your go-to people for questions during Sasquan. They might ask you to help out setting up the party, or cleaning up, or hauling ice, or whatever. You know, like me and Mr. X, except with fewer F-bombs.

The three heads of the dragon are:

LugaJetBoyGirl, Digger of Holes

Maid of Woodlynne, Fl00b Whisperer

Ser Stubby, Castellan of Wombats

Fenryng and Regina are, as always, The Managers of Rooms and Masters of Coin.

T-shirts:

No BWB shirts this year. Spokane did not inspire, and I will not waste precious natural resources on uninspired stuff. And before you ask: no, you (general you) can't print BWB or ASOIAF-themed shirts yourself and sell them. I have to get special permission every year to create the BWB shirts; not doing so means HBO's hellhounds could sue me (or you) for copyright infringement.

That's disappointing. We'll end up with 50-something people inspired enough to come to Spokane, and I don't recall the BwB really getting dragged into WorldCon politics (any more than necessary :p) before, since we're primarily a fan group who just uses WorldCon as an excuse to hang out. I can see why we wouldn't want to bother with a public party if there are con-specific issues with getting space and dealing with the con com, but t-shirts have little to do with the con, really.

Why we should punish ourselves just because Spokane has a few issues?

Xray,

Will there be ribbons?

AB

Not sure how many new ones we'll print, as we have a bunch of ribbons from previous years still kicking around. I'll check inventory this week.

I don't recall the BwB really getting dragged into WorldCon politics (any more than necessary :P) before, since we're primarily a fan group who just uses WorldCon as an excuse to hang out.

It has nothing to do with WorldCon itself or the politics thereof. We're just not printing shirts this year.

Not sure how many new ones we'll print, as we have a bunch of ribbons from previous years still kicking around. I'll check inventory this week.

It has nothing to do with WorldCon itself or the politics thereof. We're just not printing shirts this year.

Thank you for the information Xray.

I was looking forward to a Schrödinger's Cast tshirt. Are they alive or dead? You won't know until you read Winds of Winter.

Just a note on hotels: (I saw something somewhere on the board about this - but I figured I'd put it in the more recent thread)

Some folks were concerned about points, etc. Looks like the Hotel Davenport is in the process of changing over to an "Autograph Collection" hotel - which is, indeed, a Marriott product. I'm not sure if you can use points to book (yet?), but you should be able to GET points for your stay at least.

I haven't heard back from the con com on that, so I am going to assume that it never got added to the official convention schedule.

I'm going to check with one of the dragon's three heads and see if they can help schedule something official on the ground.

This will be my first Worldcon and I was hoping to meet up with the BWB. Since there isn't going to be a party open to the public, and you don't know me yet, what would y'all suggest?

I'll vouch for myself that I'm a pretty decent person and pleasant company.

A couple of ways:

1) The Meet and Greet (will post details once those are worked out)

2) Look for people wearing BWB shirts and introduce yourself (They all say "Brotherhood without Banners" on the back print.)

3) Go to any Game of Thrones/ASOIAF panels and execute option #2

5)  Find someone in advance who is willing to swap mobile phone numbers with you.    Then you can text them if option 1-4 don't work.

I would offer mine, but I'm not going so its not gonna help you.

6)  Join the BWB facebook group - then post to it saying exactly where you are.   Offer a free beer to the first BWB person who finds you.

note about option 2)   Its very rare to find just one or two lone BWB.   herds form quickly.   especially in the bar.

This will be my first Worldcon and I was hoping to meet up with the BWB. Since there isn't going to be a party open to the public, and you don't know me yet, what would y'all suggest?

Shoot me a PM here - I'll make sure you find the rest of us at the con.
Looking forward to meeting you!

I'll be in the hotel bar in the eves wearing a bathrobe and hanging out with TMoW.  PM me for my number, I'll be glad to meet you!

Archived