Would Tyrion be a good father?

The more I think about it, the more I think Tyrion would be a good father.

He really has a way with children. He made Bran a riding saddle, is a fun uncle to Tommen and Myrcella, at least tries to parent Joffrey, and really seemed to establish a rapport with Jon Snow and Aegon Targaryen.

Sure he is not perfect, but compared to other fathers out there like Stannis, Robert, Randyll, Balon and Tywin, I think Tyrion would do a pretty good job.

Thoughts?

I think there is a big difference between interacting shortly with young people or real parenting.

That said, Tyrion sooms ok with the kids in the books, but I would rather have him as an uncle than a father :-)

No, He is an alcoholic and is always with a prostitute. I don't think he has a really good idea of what a father should do, either. His father is not a good role model, so he would try and be different. I could see him being a slight better father than Robert Baratheon, but not too much better.

No, He is an alcoholic and is always with a prostitute. I don't think he has a really good idea of what a father should do, either. His father is not a good role model, so he would try and be different. I could see him being a slight better father than Robert Baratheon, but not too much better.

I think he would. He would be such a cool one for any young child to have. Compared to other fathers in series could he really do much worse?

I think he would. He would be such a cool one for any young child to have. Compared to other fathers in series could he really do much worse?

I agree, He'll be better than a lot of the fathers that we do meet, but I just don't think he'll be a good one. I think he'll try, but his own problems in his head and his bad habits will prevent him from being better.

Between the alchoholism, bouts of depression/self-loathing, and his tendency to engage in self-destructive behaviors, I would have my doubts. Obviously becoming a parent can cause people to reevaluate their decisions and change their ways, but Tyrion would need to deal wth his internal issues before able to parent effectively.

That said, most of the fathers in the series don't pass decency standards, so by comparison he'd be ok even if he didn't change much.

It depends . .which Tyrion are we considering here?

Pre Shae - Maybe not, seems a bit too much of a spoilt trust fund kid with daddy issues

During Shae - Maybe, his actions in King Landing point to someone who genuinely cares for others in some cases, and who is very future minded in regards to family etc.

Post Shae - Definitely not, his internal monologue comes off as heartless, cynical and cold, his hatred for the world has overtaken is more sympathetic faculties entirely, he's basically a few feet away from being a quasi-little finger

Tyrion has many faults, and he would be no Nedd Stark, but he would definitely be accepting. One thing Tyrion has learned is that being disregarded and belittled for being different is wrong. So, if anything, I think Tyrion would Love his child/children no matter what.

Tyrion has many faults, and he would be no Nedd Stark, but he would definitely be accepting. One thing Tyrion has learned is that being disregarded and belittled for being different is wrong. So, if anything, I think Tyrion would Love his child/children no matter what.

^This.

Tyrion would at least be a way better father than Tywin (if only to spite his father).

He is basically depressed, bitter and self-loathing at this point of books so he would not do a good job raising a child (and he has other issues naturally as well). But I believe this is a phase of darkness in his life. If he moves on he and and a stable life he would be a good father. A child would give his life a purpose, he has always been good with children or people that he is kind of in charge of like Bronn, Shae, Penny and Jorah. He had plenty of family loyalty until his family basically betrayed him and what he wants is unconditional love which a child would give to him. He can also give wise advice like with advising Jon Snow and would do anything to be different father than Tywin was to him. So if Tyrion basically gets his mental health issues solved and be in a good place in life he would be a good father. What he needed otherwise was some humility and feel remorse over some of his actions and he has gotten plenty of those in DwD. He does not need to be a perfect person to be a good father.

It's a good question because it's not as if he had a good role model. He might say he wants to be different from Tywin but children often end up being like their parents even when they try not to. Or look at Cersei - she was in an abusive relationship with Robert yet recreates the same situation with Joffrey and Sansa and does nothing to stop it. Having said that, I still think he could be a good father because he can be caring, e.g. he was good with Myrcella and Tommen. Although he wasn't such a great cousin to Lancel...

It depends . .which Tyrion are we considering here?

Pre Shae - Maybe not, seems a bit too much of a spoilt trust fund kid with daddy issues

During Shae - Maybe, his actions in King Landing point to someone who genuinely cares for others in some cases, and who is very future minded in regards to family etc.

Post Shae - Definitely not, his internal monologue comes off as heartless, cynical and cold, his hatred for the world has overtaken is more sympathetic faculties entirely, he's basically a few feet away from being a quasi-little finger

Tyrion isn't wholly set on carnage and revenge, otherwise he'd let Jorah be whipped to death, his captor that beat him, instead he saves his life.

I think Tyrion would be a decent father, better then most, better then his

Archived