What characters do you hate and why?

I've seen a lot of people talk about how they hate certain characters — not just not find them interesting or "love to hate", but actively despise — sometimes elaborating their reasons and other times not. So it'd be interesting to get a feel for which characters are hated and why they're hated, whether it's because of their personalities, their actions or just the way the chapters they show up in were written.

If I had to say I hated any character, it would be Balon. The man's just an utter arrogant fool, stuck in his own world and such a dick to his own son for the reason that the boy had been gone for 10 years. I don't think there's anything redeemable about Balon and, unlike Cersei or Joffrey, there's no real malicious delight I feel when they show up in the books; I certainly don't love to hate him for some reason.

There are the obvious answers, like Cercei, Gregor Clegane, Ramsay Bolton, Meryn F. Trant, etc. There are plenty of thoroughly horrible characters.

That's not how I am going to answer this - every good story needs good baddies, and if the character fulfills the role of a baddie in an interesting and authentic way, then that's great.

So, characters that I don't like, that don't fill a satisfying literary role: not many, really.

1. The whole fAegon crew, maybe, depending on what happens in tWoW. Cutting them from the show was a good move.

2. Edric Storm was a bit redundant, again, the show made a great move by giving his story to Gendry.

3. Penny. No idea what's going on with her. Maybe there's a yet-to-be-revealed reason why she's such a mess of a character. Again, good move, show.

Robb and Cat Stark

The amount of love they get all over the place for making nothing but terrible decisions is dumbfounding to me.

Robb was Ned's true heir, but so much of a little b*tch that he had to have mommy rally support, really, really bothered me.\

And Cat, before becoming UnCat was one of the worst mothers in the series.

Leave the two youngest behind so you can help your oldest become King bc he could not do it on his own was BS.

Bran and Jon.

It's not their personalities I hate so much as their storylines. I really think ASoIaF would be much better off without warging, all the three-eyed crow crap, and Jon running around as The Chosen One.

Don't hate Bran, but agree 100% on Jon.

• Balon for the same reasons OP mentioned.

Mordane for pampering Sansa while making Arya feel worthless for not behaving like a ''lady''.

Catelyn for being a total idiot by kidnapping the son of Tywin goddamn Lannister, and thus starting a bloody war. Also not giving a shit about her people in the Riverlands who could and were attacked in retaliation by Tywin.

Ramsay. Not blind hate, I just think he's a horrible human being who deserves a painful death.

Lysa. What is there to like about her? Honestly? Having a miscarriage doesn't excuse you from being an a-hole.

Sweetrobin. Not his fault for having a terrible mother but that doesn't mean I should support his spoiled attitude, low opinions of the common folk etc. Hope he flies away and lands in a bottomless pit.

I don't think there's anything redeemable about Balon

He sets up his daughter as his heir, a very progressive and meritocratic move in a society as backwards as the Iron Islands, and raises her properly, as she recalls his lessons during times of hardship.

Out of all the Five kings, he probably has the most altruistic reason to go to war. His people live in misery, they need more land to prosper.

Ned thinks of Balon as brave during AGoT, that has to count for something.

I really respect Tywin as a character, was always happy he was in a chapter because I knew it'd have good lines and be full of scheming. I think he is well written and well rounded. But. Y'know. I hate him. The gang rape of Tysha, Targ children murder, and of course general refusal to accept a child with dwarfism as his son... I mean it's a sign on good writing that I can be fascinated by a character I hate, but doesn't mean I don't hate him.

Prince perfection himself Rheagar Targaryen. It just really annoys me how he is described as the most perfect person ever and is great at everything he does. It also doesn't help that almost everyone in the books and in the fanbase has a huge boner for him.

I hate Rhaegar because he's appears to be quite simply a moron, and an indecisive, weak one at that. For characters that are alive in ASOIAF, Cersei for obvious reasons, Balon because he's an arrogant, blind and a fool who has ridiculous notions of grandeur regarding his family, the Ironborn and the Old Way in addition to being a terrible LP. Lysa is also despicable, as is Cat at times (but not consistently).

I don't hate Bran, just his storyline at this stage.

Robert - No redeemable qualities. Just because he is a fun guy does not mean he is a good person.

Cersei - As a character she is funny, but a really horrible person.

Robert was merciful too merciful but still that's a quality good at turning enemies into friends a good commander no sure if that count and smart enough to realise he was a shit king though that's a double edged one if he knew he was crap why did he go for the throne

Archived