Tower of Joy (what we know)

The Tower of Joy seems to be one of the most important happenings & puzzles in the entire series of ASoIaF, so I thought I would put together what we know and what we can decipher from the words that GRRM has given us. (Blue quotes are directly about the Tower of Joy, Red quotes are indirectly involved with points about the Tower of Joy, Purple quotes from Wikipedia or outside sources)

What happened outside the Tower of Joy

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

GoT Chapter 39, Eddard X

This is a dream that Ned is having while under the influence of Milk of the Poppy

"He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man’s memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in “life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard."

GoT Chapter 39, Eddard X

Now people will argue that this was a fever dream/ effect of the poppy, and that none of this can be trusted. Even GRRM states:

"I might mention, though, that Ned's account, which you refer to, was in the context of a dream... and a fever dream at that. Our dreams are not always literal."

So Spake Martin

I think this part of the dream can be attributed to the poppy:

"As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.”

GoT Chapter 39, Eddard X

Obviously, a "storm of rose petals" did not fill a "blood streaked sky". Also, Lyanna screaming was more likely to be a voice outside of Ned's dream trying to waken him:

"Lord Eddard," Lyanna called again.

"I promise," he whispered. "Lya, I promise . . . "

"Lord Eddard," a man echoed from the dark.

Groaning, Eddard Stark opened his eyes. Moonlight streamed through the tall windows of the Tower of the Hand.

"Lord Eddard?" A shadow stood over the bed.

"How . . . how long?" The sheets were tangled, his leg splinted and plastered. A dull throb of pain shot up his side.

"Six days and seven nights." The voice was Vayon Poole's."

GoT Chapter 39, Eddard X

What we do know is that this is an old dream, meaning it is something that he has dreamed before (or at least parts of it). This dream was not entirely a product of the fever/ milk of the poppy. That means that at least some of these events were meant to be taken as actually to have happened.

So let's go over, what to me is the most important part of the dream, the discussion between Ned and the Three Kingsguard:

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell."

This first exchange has Ned telling the Kingsguard that he has been searching for them. The Trident was the single most important battle of Robert's Rebellion. This battle decided the outcome of the war. The crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen died on the banks of the Trident and these three Kingsguard (including the LC) were not there.

They of coarse answer that they were not at the Trident. Including the line "Woe to the Usurper". This line is important. By Ser Oswell calling Robert the Usurper, they are telling Ned that they know Robert has won. Robert becomes the Usurper only AFTER her takes the Throne. Otherwise he would just be called a traitor, or rebel. The Kingsguard have had at least some information since the fall of King's Landing

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

Again Ned notes that he is wondering why these three Kingsguard (including the LC) are not at these important battles, why they were not guarding their Crown Prince (at the Trident) and now the King (at King's Landing). Ned tells them that Ser Jaime (one of their own Kingsguard) killed their King.

Their reply tells you that they had this information already. They do not call Ned a liar for saying a Kingsguard broke his oath and killed his King. They simply accept it. But the telling thing is what they think happens to a Kingsguard when they break their oath "burn in seven hells". Their Oath means everything to them, and they truly believe that they will burn in hell for breaking that Oath.

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne."

Again Ned is asking why they are not present at these important places during the war (What could have been more important than the war?). Ned is telling them that the war is over, Rhaegar is dead, Aerys is dead and the Targaryen supporters have all bent the knee.

The Kingsguard reply that they can not surrender.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm."

Ned tells them that the last of the Targaryen forces have gone to Dragonstone, along with the last of the Royal family. That they are accompanied by de facto remaining "leader" of the Targaryen forces, Ser Willem Darry.

This right here is where the Kingsguard divulge the biggest clue as to what they are doing at the Tower: "But not of the Kingsguard".

These three men do not consider either Rhealla Targaryen as their Queen or Viserys Targaryen as their King.

If they did they are bound to go to Dragonstone and protect them. These are men that believe in their Oath so much that their souls are in peril if they break that oath.

"The Kingsguard does not flee" To flee would meant to break their Oath, but going to protect your King on Dragonstone would not be fleeing. That would be considered maintaining your oath, rejoining the Targaryen forces is what you would be expected to do as part of your Oath... Unless the Oath required you to stay at the Tower for some reason.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold."

Again the Kingsguard tell Ned of their Vow/ Oath. These men (who we have already shown believe in their Oath so much that their afterlife is tied to it) are at the Tower BECAUSE of this Oath.

So lets look at this Oath, or at least what we know of it:

"The first duty of the Kingsguard was to defend the king from harm or threat. The white knights were sworn to obey the king's commands as well, to keep his secrets, counsel him when counsel was requested and keep silent when it was not, serve his pleasure and defend his name and honor. Strictly speaking, it was purely the king's choice whether or not to extend Kingsguard protection to others, even those of the royal blood. Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistresses and bastards." - Barristan Selmy

"Ser Gerold Hightower himself heard my vows . . . to ward the king with all my strength . . . to give my blood for his . . ." - Barristan Selmy

"He was your king," said Darry.
"You swore to keep him safe," said Whent.
"And the children, them as well," said Prince Lewyn.
"The king you had sworn to die for."
- Jaime Lannister's dream

"So many vows . . . they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his." - Jaime Lannister

"The Knights of the Kingsguard are sworn to keep the king's secrets. Would you have me break my oath?" - Jaime Lannister

"I have heard in the Sunset Kingdoms men take solemn vows to keep chaste ..."

"It is," Arstan said, when the question was put. "There are many such orders. The maesters ... The septons ... The Kingsguard and the Night's Watch."
- Barristan Selmy

"My brother erred when he demanded that the Kingsguard fight for his son. Their oath forbids them to harm a prince of the blood. Fortunately, I am such." - Baelor Breakspear

So we know that the Oath includes:

The Kingsguard's life for the King

Defend the King with all their strength

Obey the King

Counsel the King when asked, keep silent when not asked

Keep the King's secrets

Keep chaste

No marriage or children

Can not harm the Royal family

So what oath were they holding to at the Tower?

"Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

We know the ending of the battle from Bran's recollection of what Ned had told him:

“The finest knight I ever saw was Ser Arthur Dayne, who fought with a blade called Dawn, forged from the heart of a fallen star. The called him the Sword of the Morning and he would have killed me save for Howland Reed.” - Ned Stark

Now let's look at what Ned found inside the Tower of Joy after he and Howland Reed were the only survivors of the battle.

"He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They had found him still holding her body, silent with grief. The little crannogman, Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his. Ned could recall none of it."

Game of Thrones Chapter 4

Ned found his sister, dieing of fever in a room that smelled of blood and roses.

Roses have long been used as medicinal treatments for fever, clotting and different ailments.

There are two things to be taken from this, 1: There were more that just Ned, Lyanna and Howland in the Tower "They found him still holding her body" and 2: there was someone with medicinal knowledge at the Tower (midwife, maester, possibly a wet nurse), this can be seen due to the rose petals being given to Lyanna.

"He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood"

Bed of Blood is a term that refers to birthing, as said by Mirri Maz Duur to Daenerys:

“I know every secret of the bloody bed, Silver Lady, nor have I ever lost a babe,” Mirri Maz Duur replied."

Afterwards, Ned tore down the Tower and buried the men that died in battle, his friends and the three Kingsguard:

"Ned had pulled the tower down afterward, and used its bloody stones to build eight cairns upon the ridge. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. They had been seven against three, yet only two had lived to ride away; Eddard Stark himself and the little crannogman, Howland Reed. He did not think it omened well that he should dream that dream again after so many years."

GoT Chapter 39, Eddard X

He then rode to Starfall to return Dawn to the Daynes

"And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur's sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the SummerSea."

GoT Chapter 6, Catelyn II

This is the entirety of what we know about the events of the Tower of Joy.

Ned and his six friends rode to the Tower, did battle with the Three Kingsguard and won. Only Howland and Ned survived.

Ned found Lyanna dieing after childbirth, and Howland and at least one other person found Ned with Lyanna's body.

Ned promised Lyanna something before her death

Now there are a few things we can infer from the text about other people from what happened at the Tower.

One: Rhaegar did not take Lyanna against her will. They loved each other:

"Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna and thousands died for it." - Barristan Selmy

Two: Rhaegar was an honorable man and even Ned has no bad feelings about him:

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." - Ser Jaime Mormont

“For the first time in years, he found himself remembering Rhaegar Targaryen. He wondered if Rhaegar had frequented brothels; somehow he thought not.”

Game of Thrones Chapter 35

Three: The Three Kingsguard died keeping their Oath, otherwise Ned would not think of them so fondly:

"Bran: Are they truly the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms?

Ned: No longer. But once they were a marvel, a shining lesson to the world."

Clash of Kings Chapter 21

Four: Rhaegar had intended to father a third child and his current wife could not bear another child:

Daenerys sees Rhaegar Targaryen holding the infant Aegon in a vision at the House of the Undying. He turns to her says:

"The Dragon has three heads, there must be one more."

"Elia was bedridden for half a year after giving birth to Rhaenys and nearly died giving birth to Aegon, after which the maesters told Rhaegar she would be unable to have any more children." - Wikipedia

Five: Lyanna died of a fever after childbirth, not during childbirth:

The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black.

Game of Thrones Chapter 4

Lyanna had a fever that caused her death, not the actual act of childbirth. A little googling and one discovers this:

"Puerperal infections, also known as postpartum infections, puerperal fever or childbed fever, is any bacterial infection of the female reproductive tract following childbirth or miscarriage. Signs and symptoms usually include a fever greater than 38.0 °C (100.4 °F), chills, lower abdominal pain, and possibly bad-smelling vaginal discharge. It usually occurs after the first 24 hours and within the first ten days following delivery." - Wikipedia

This would put Jon's birth around one to ten days before Ned's arrival

Six: Neither Ned, nor the Kingguard consider Viserys to be their King:

Game of Thrones Chapter 39

Ned refers to Viserys as Prince Viserys not King. The Kingsguard say that Ser Darry is a good man but NOT OF THE KINGSGUARD (ie: Viserys does not have a Kingsguard)

It has to be mentioned that the new World book says that Aerys made Viserys his heir after the loss at the Trident

"He sent his pregnant queen, Rhaella, and his younger son and new heir, Viserys, away to Dragonstone"

The World Book of Ice and Fire

So either the Kingsguard did not get this information or chose to ignore it for what ever reason.

This is the main things that can be taken as close to fact as possible with out GRRM revealing anything further about the Tower of Joy.

Now as far as speculation goes: Who was Lyanna's baby? What exactly was Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship? What was the specific Oath the Kingsguard were adhering to? What was the promise that Lyanna asked of Ned?

These are things that can be guessed at, theorized and argued.

Six: Neither Ned, nor the Kingguard consider Viserys to be their King:

Game of Thrones Chapter 39

Ned refers to Viserys as Prince Viserys not King. The Kingsguard say that Ser Darry is a good man but NOT OF THE KINGSGUARD (ie: Viserys does not have a Kingsguard)

It has to be mentioned that the new World book says that Aerys made Viserys his heir after the loss at the Trident

"He sent his pregnant queen, Rhaella, and his younger son and new heir, Viserys, away to Dragonstone"

The World Book of Ice and Fire

So either the Kingsguard did not get this information or chose to ignore it for what ever reason.

Wait a second. Ned doesn't recognize Viserys as King because he's a rebel; Robert is his king.

Moreover, you've arbitrarily decided that the above dialogue is literal, while other portions you've decided are non-literal dreams. Dreams are dreams.

I'll also note that Hightower said "we swore a vow" -- vow is singular. You've recited numerous KG vows (plural). What particular vow is Hightower describing? We don't know.

The World Book does not say that Aerys made Viserys his heir. It merely refers to Viserys as his "new heir". But Aerys did not do this. Robert Baratheon did.

Robert never did such thing.

And yes, the world book does imply that Aerys made Viserys his new heir, since by the time Viserys is the "new heir" aegon is still alive.

And we also know he wanted to name Viserys his heir long before..

When Prince Rhaegar and his new wife chose to take up residence on Dragonstone instead of the Red Keep, rumors flew thick and fast across the Seven Kingdoms. Some claimed that the crown prince was planning to depose his father and seize the Iron Throne for himself, whilst others said that King Aerys meant to disinherit Rhaegar and name Viserys heir in his place.

Wait a second. Ned doesn't recognize Viserys as King because he's a rebel; Robert is his king.

Moreover, you've arbitrarily decided that the above dialogue is literal, while other portions you've decided are non-literal dreams. Dreams are dreams.

I'll also note that Hightower said "we swore a vow" -- vow is singular. You've recited numerous KG vows (plural). What particular vow is Hightower describing? We don't know.

I realize that Robert is his King, I am pointing out that he call him Prince Viserys (not king) and the Kingguard do not correct him, and in fact go one step further and say he does not have any Kingsguard.

Yes, I made a choice of which part of the dream is literal and which is not, but the fact that GRRM gave us the dream and then says "I might mention, though, that Ned's account, which you refer to, was in the context of a dream... and a fever dream at that. Our dreams are not always literal.", means that sometimes they are literal.

It is reasonable to believe that at least part of the dream was true (an old dream) otherwise there is no purpose to the entire dream in the story.

I note that we dont know which vow that they are referring to, I was merely listing as many of the vows that we have been shown thus far.

Yes he did. He killed the old heir. That's how you make new a heir (which in this context means "heir presumptive").

When the writer refers to Viserys as the "new heir", all he means (necessarily) is that, with the death of Rhaegar, Viserys is now the heir presumptive. The old heir dying is a very typical way of becoming a "new heir".

Yes he did. He killed the old heir. That's how you make a new heir (which in this context means "heir presumptive").

When the maester refers to Viserys as the "new heir", all he means (necessarily) is that, with the death of Rhaegar, Viserys is now the heir presumptive. The old heir dying is a very typical way of becoming a "new heir".

Obviously, a "storm of rose petals" did not fill a "blood streaked sky". Also, Lyanna screaming was more likely to be a voice outside of Ned's dream trying to waken him:

Poole is screamins..... AAAAAAAAHHH or EEEK!!! ... there is a rat.... a big fat rat Lord Eddard, Lord Eddard.

Like that?

They of coarse answer that they were not at the Trident. Including the line "Woe to the Usurper". This line is important. By Ser Oswell calling Robert the Usurper, they are telling Ned that they know Robert has won. Robert becomes the Usurper only AFTER her takes the Throne. Otherwise he would just be called a traitor, or rebel.

“Woe to ROBERT the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell."

Just add in Robert and Oswell knew....

The Kingsguard have had at least some information since the fall of King's Landing

his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion.

They did. A rebel lord rode up to them with six companions. They were seven hundred miles into royalist territory. That is news that the rebels won and somebody has usurped the throne.. Ned brought them the news after the sack King's Landing.

Their reply tells you that they had this information already. They do not call Ned a liar for saying a Kingsguard broke his oath and killed his King. They simply accept it. But the telling thing is what they think happens to a Kingsguard when they break their oath "burn in seven hells". Their Oath means everything to them, and they truly believe that they will burn in hell for breaking that Oath.

“I knew that. Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells. like all oathbreaking kingsguard. Our oath means everything to us."

Now it does.

"

Again Ned is asking why they are not present at these important places during the war (What could have been more important than the war?). Ned is telling them that the war is over, Rhaegar is dead, Aerys is dead and the Targaryen supporters have all bent the knee.

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them. Why were you not at these important places during the war? (What was more important?) The war is over. "

“Our knees do not bend easily, We cannot surrender.” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

Just altering the text takes less time than explaining why and how you did it.

Ned tells them that the last of the Targaryen forces have gone to Dragonstone, along with the last of the Royal family. That they are accompanied by de facto remaining "leader" of the Targaryen forces, Ser Willem Darry.

This right here is where the Kingsguard divulge the biggest clue as to what they are doing at the Tower: "But not of the Kingsguard".

These three men do not consider either Rhealla Targaryen as their Queen or Viserys Targaryen as their King.

If they did they are bound to go to Dragonstone and protect them. These are men that believe in their Oath so much that their souls are in peril if they break that oath.

"The Kingsguard does not flee" To flee would meant to break their Oath, but going to protect your King on Dragonstone would not be fleeing. That would be considered maintaining your oath, rejoining the Targaryen forces is what you would be expected to do as part of your Oath... Unless the Oath required you to stay at the Tower for some reason.

Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Viserys is not our king . Rhaella is not out queen. Otherwise our oath binds us to go to Dragonstone or risk our souls. Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee. To flee but going to Dragonstone to rejoin Targaryen forces and protect the king would not be fleeing because it is oath maintaining.

Again the Kingsguard tell Ned of their Vow/ Oath. These men (who we have already shown believe in their Oath so much that their afterlife is tied to it) are at the Tower BECAUSE of this Oath.

“We swore a vow and we are here at the tower because of this oath,” explained old Ser Gerold."

Let's assume that looking at this will be just like looking at the first two pages of Eddard X--- click inside the quote and add what is necessary to make a point.

Why: Because he hated Rhaegar and wanted him dead.

How: By whacking Rhaegar with his warhammer.

This doesn't make Viserys the heir; it makes Aegon the heir (absent intervention by Aerys). Viserys presumably was made heir by Aerys, not by the death of Rhaegar. The relevant passage is:

Birds flew and couriers raced to bear word of the victory at Ruby Ford. When the news reached the Red Keep, it was said that Aerys cursed the Dornish, certain that Lewyn had betrayed Rhaegar. He sent his pregnant queen, Rhaella, and his younger son and new heir, Viserys, away to Dragonstone, but Princess Elia was forced to remain in King’s Landing with Rhaegar’s children.

Well, probably Ned believed first that Rhaegar kidnaped and raped Lyanna, but may be in the end of the war he began to suspect that was something wrong (mainly because the absence of Arthur, Oswell and Gerold in the Trident and King's Landing), but i think he just realized why the kingsguard was in Dorne after he entered and found Lyanna and Jon.

The Kingsguard oath is very broad. This is the reason why Ned didn't realized what was going on and apparently no one in Westeros seems to suspect about Lyanna's death or about Jon's parentage.

Yes he did. He killed the old heir. That's how you make a new heir (which in this context means "heir presumptive").

When the maester refers to Viserys as the "new heir", all he means (necessarily) is that, with the death of Rhaegar, Viserys is now the heir presumptive. The old heir dying is a very typical way of becoming a "new heir".

Robert killing Rhaegar would make Aegon the new heir not Viserys.

Aerys had to change the order of succession in order for Viserys to be the new heir

Poole is screamins..... AAAAAAAAHHH or EEEK!!! ... there is a rat.... a big fat rat Lord Eddard, Lord Eddard.

Like that?

They of coarse answer that they were not at the Trident. Including the line "Woe to the Usurper". This line is important. By Ser Oswell calling Robert the Usurper, they are telling Ned that they know Robert has won. Robert becomes the Usurper only AFTER her takes the Throne. Otherwise he would just be called a traitor, or rebel.

“Woe to ROBERT the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell."

Just add in Robert and Oswell knew....

The Kingsguard have had at least some information since the fall of King's Landing

his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion.

They did. A rebel lord rode up to them with six companions. They were seven hundred miles into royalist territory. That is news that the rebels won and somebody has usurped the throne.. Ned brought them the news after the sack King's Landing.

“I knew that. Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells. like all oathbreaking kingsguard. Our oath means everything to us."

Now it does.

"

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them. Why were you not at these important places during the war? (What was more important?) The war is over. "

“Our knees do not bend easily, We cannot surrender.” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

Just altering the text takes less time than explaining why and how you did it.

Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Viserys is not our king . Rhaella is not out queen. Otherwise our oath binds us to go to Dragonstone or risk our souls. Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee. To flee but going to Dragonstone to rejoin Targaryen forces and protect the king would not be fleeing because it is oath maintaining.

“We swore a vow and we are here at the tower because of this oath,” explained old Ser Gerold."

Let's assume that looking at this will be just like looking at the first two pages of Eddard X--- click inside the quote and add what is necessary to make a point.

You know sometimes you have to read between the lines. If GRRM wrote like you insist he has to write it would be the worst book series ever.

"That is news that the rebels won and somebody has usurped the throne.. Ned brought them the news after the sack King's Landing."

No it is not. What if the forces moved south to fight the Dorne army instead of heading to King's Landing? What if the rebels lost and their escape was cut off to the North?

Ned being there does no mean that Aerys is dead. It does not mean they won. It does not mean any of the things they discuss.

Aerys had to change the order of succession in order for Viserys to be the new heir

If they know that Aerys is dead, then they know that Aegon is also dead since both occurred during the sack of KL. So, that would make Viserys the King (deposed). Unless Rheagar had another son. So, I'm not sure what the debate is about. It is odd that they would not correct Ned when he says 'Prince Viserys'.

If they know that Aerys is dead, then they know that Aegon is also dead since both occurred during the sack of KL. So, that would make Viserys the King (deposed). Unless Rheagar had another son. So, I'm not sure what the debate is about. It is odd that they would not correct Ned when he says 'Prince Viserys'.

That is exactly the point.

If Viserys is not their King, then who is?

You know sometimes you have to read between the lines. If GRRM wrote like you insist he has to write it would be the worst book series ever.

"That is news that the rebels won and somebody has usurped the throne.. Ned brought them the news after the sack King's Landing."

No it is not. What if the forces moved south to fight the Dorne army instead of heading to King's Landing? What if the rebels lost and their escape was cut off to the North?

Ned being there does no mean that Aerys is dead. It does not mean they won. It does not mean any of the things they discuss.

You know sometimes you have to read between the lines. I

I am all for reading between the lines.... much can be gained from it. I am even ok with reading between the lines in the dream.

Trying to find an answer to a question between the lines is a good thing too,

If the question that has already been asked and answered ;

Shaw: Can you explain why the King's Guard chose to stand and fight Ned at the Tower of the Joy instead of protecting the remaining royal family members?

Martin: The King's Guards don't get to make up their own orders. They serve the king, they protect the king and the royal family, but they're also bound to obey their orders, and if Prince Rhaegar gave them a certain order, they would do that. They can't say, "No we don't like that order, we'll do something else."

Ignoring the answer.... is somewhat problematic. I am not suggesting what order was given or why the kingsguard were at the tower.

I am stating that there is no way to get around the kingsguard making up their own orders, if their orders did not include staying at the fighting Ned.

If GRRM wrote like you insist he has to write it would be the worst book series ever.

I just put what you claimed was between the lines into the lines.... and yes it is awful

No it is not.

What if the forces moved south to fight the Dorne army instead of heading to King's Landing?

They might have guessed that.

A rebellion against Aerys might decide that he is not important and skip King's Landing by going from the Trident west off the king's road to avoid King's Landing, then cutting south to Dorne.

What if the rebels lost and their escape was cut off to the North?

Ned: I looked for you on the Trident.

They might have assumed that Ned was looking to surrender to them and was there to discuss the rebel defeat.

Ned being there does no mean that Aerys is dead.

No it does not.

It is a reasonable assumption.

Had they named Robert usurper, they must have had news after the Trident (Robert declared his intent to be crowned after). They did not.

Anybody that defeated Aerys and took the throne was "the usurper."

It does not mean they won. It does not mean any of the things they discuss.

The kingsguard do not add any new information to the conversation. Nothing they say had to come from news before Ned's arrival.

Fair enough. Then I suspect that the maester is merely anticipating the actual heir-to-be upon Aerys' quickly-impending death.

That is exactly the point.

If Viserys is not their King, then who is?

I'm on your side here... The new king is Lyanna's baby... Jon. That's why they are there. They are the Kingsguard and the Kingsguard does not flee. That's why they don't correct Ned when he calls Viserys a prince. They know that he is not the next in line for the throne because an uncle does not inherit before a son.

Archived