WOT questions, advice needed and given.

Sparrow spoiler

So I posted in the wrong forum about advice for a book to read while I wait for TWOW. Got a lot of good feed back and was told to come here. So after reading through all the books people advised me to try I landed on Wheel of time and ordered it on my kindle 2 nights ago. I am about 50 pages in and let me tell you its been hard to get into it. I know its hard switching books and getting to know the new world/characters/rules etc. But, I mean this is a huge series, 15 books or some crazy number. Which I will totally read. But, is it worth it. Is it epic enough to get into? I know nothing of the series. So people who have read it will it draw me in? will it consume my fantasy love? Let me know and thanks for the help everyone. I would be lost without you guys!

Try Abecrombies First Law, James SA Corey's Expanse, Bakkers Second Apocalypse, or Stovers Caine books. Or Patrick obrian's Aubrey-Maturin novels.

Eta: Richard Morgan is awesome too

Eta2: read some PG Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves novels, a.cure for anything that disturbs the human.condition.

will it consume my fantasy love? Let me know and thanks for the help everyone. I would be lost without you guys!

Depends. Do you like braid tugging, skirt shifting and "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"?

Or just listen to larry.

So are you implying its geared towards women being the greater sex or what?

I can only assume from this you haven't actually read "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus". Apart from that, I can safely say that no, have no fear, that is not the message you will likely take away from "The Wheel of Time".

Although I am intrigued why you think "braid tugging" indicates that women are the superior gender. It sounds fascinating. Tell us more.

Never read the book so I'm just going to stop. I guess you could just tell me if you enjoyed the wheel of time series.

Oh my sweet summer child. I liked it once, when the series was new and I was younger. Then I became disillusioned around book 4-5 or so. However, I am going to let someone greater than myself speak for me on this (warning some spoilers below the first post).

So say we all.

It was not meant to be reassuring. Sorry. :)

The First Law is good, go find some Scott Lynch for "Lies of Locke Lamora" or hit up "The Curse of Chalion" if you like great characters.

Counting the posts until Bakkake comes swirling down.

As he always does.

WoT is a relic from another era of fantasy. It was great when I was reading it 20 years ago. It does not age well in comparison to the new era of fantasy literature in my opinion. I don't regret starting it or finishing it, however it would not be something I would greatly recommend today. Especially for someone coming from having ASoIaF as their baseline for fantasy. (Let me just interject here, that I do not put ASoIaF very highly on my recommendation list either these days...) WoT works well as a "history" of fantasy in much the same way that the Shannara books do.

There are many great recommendation posts around here, but most of the recs will boil down to what you have already seen in this thread.

I like Lies of Locke Lamora as a recommendation at this point, and while I like the two follow up works just fine; I don't think they meet the standard of Lies, fortunately it holds up well as a standalone.

Alright last question. I bought the "Gardens of the moon" last summer and could not get into it. Just way to much going on. Is it worth trying to finish it?

Not yet. Eventually yes.

Malazan is great, but it requires a significant investment of time. If you are a fantasy literature neophyte, I would discover a few more series first and eventually read Malazan if you are still curious.

Most series worth reading were destroyed at the library of Sauglish. **swirls down in srancnado of.bakakke**

Srancnado... My God... After The Expanse flops because it is too high quality for the kind of viewer SyFy draws, this would be beautiful.

Can't you just see Ian Ziering and Tara WhatshernamefromAmericanPie going toe to toe with hordes of flying sranc?!!?

"Lies of Locke Lamora" could be the treat I was looking for. I will give it a shot tonight. Thanks for helping this greenboy

I've not been so excited for a newbie to the lit forum since the lies of Locke Lamora!

ETA: serious note, recommend Wet for Nessie. Probably the greatest romance novel of our generation.

Srancnado... My God... After The Expanse flops because it is too high quality for the kind of viewer SyFy draws, this would be beautiful.

Can't you just see Ian Ziering and Tara WhatshernamefromAmericanPie going toe to toe with hordes of flying sranc?!!?

I would pay good money to watch that.

ETA: serious note, recommend Wet for Nessie. Probably the greatest romance novel of our generation.

Truth.

Archived