Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

RGBeyondAsshai

(to quote Ran):

"The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if he normal rules of the forum do not apply. Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand -- this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked."

Geography issues, character issues, teleportation etc. All season 5 rants continued here.

Thinking about Dany's storyline...

At the end of ADWD, Dany realizes she's heading in the wrong direction. She embraces the dragon. She's standing with him when the Dothraki approach. After he's just killed a horse, after the grass bows down before him (very symbolic, with respect to the Dothraki). And she's eating it with him.

But on the show, no such thing. She says, "Take me back to Meereen." And she's alone and surrounded by Dothraki. And she drops a ring, hoping someone will save her.

Here's the Inside the Episode:

Daenerys is stuck on this beautiful but isolated plateau... [with] a dragon which is mostly sleepy and wants to get better... When she sees the Dothraki, she knows what that means. And her relationship with Drogo was one thing, but Drogo is gone, and she knows in a way he was sort of an anomoly... She drops the ring... Somebody down the line hopefully who means her less harm than the Dothraki will notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMuqH7yOQc

That's very different from this:

When the sound of his hooves had faded away to silence, she began to shout. She called until her voice was hoarse ... and Drogon came, snorting plumes of smoke. The grass bowed down before him. Dany leapt onto his back. She stank of blood and sweat and fear, but none of that mattered. "To go forward I must go back," she said. Her bare legs tightened around the dragon's neck. She kicked him, and Drogon threw himself into the sky...

The dragon descended on him, roaring, and all at once the poor beast was aflame, yet somehow he kept on running, screaming with every step, until Drogon landed on him and broke his back. Dany clutched the dragon's neck with all her strength to keep from sliding off.

The carcass was too heavy for him to bear back to his lair, so Drogon consumed his kill there, tearing at the charred flesh as the grasses burned around them, the air thick with drifting smoke and the smell of burnt horsehair. Dany, starved, slid off his back and ate with him, ripping chunks of smoking meat from the dead horse with bare, burned hands. In Meereen I was a queen in silk, nibbling on stuffed dates and honeyed lamb, she remembered. What would my noble husband think if he could see me now?

Hizdahr would be horrified, no doubt. But Daario ...

Daario would laugh, carve off a hunk of horsemeat with his arakh, and squat down to eat beside her.

As the western sky turned the color of a blood bruise, she heard the sound of approaching horses. Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon.

That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke.

That's a very different picture.

Of course, I'm hoping the ring drop was her saying later to her past life, that she is glad to see Dothraki, and they her, and she'll return to Mereen with a massive Army in triumph.

So something theHandWipes said in another thread got me to thinking.

Why the hell would Roose let Ramsey abuse Sansa? He's a ruthless pragmatist, he said they can't control the North through fear, so brutalizing Sansa only creates a flashpoint for Northern Resistance against his House. In the books, Ramsey was a beast in man's skin, and therefor controlling him might be difficult, not worth the potential danger, and mitigated by the fact they didn't want Northern Lords in contact with her because of the ruse.

However, a relatively happy Sansa he can put on display and it will likely appease the Northern Lords, and Show!Ramsey as part of his de-serial killer soctiopathic humanization seems to have a deep desire for Roose's approval. So how hard is it for him to take Ramsey to task on this?

From a ruthless pragmatist's perspective, zero is gained from Ramsey's abuse. Sansa is already willing to both wed and provide a child. If she wasn't, breaking her to compliance might make sense, but that isn't even necessary. This is what happens when they plug someone in without thinking the whole thing through.

Of course, I'm hoping the ring drop was her saying later to her past life, that she is glad to see Dothraki, and they her, and she'll return to Mereen with a massive Army in triumph.

I think Dan Weiss did confirm that she was dropping it at as a crumb that could be found at a later time in the "Inside the Episode". Whether he was being truthful or not, we shall have to see. They also did mention that Jaime was on his way back to Kings Landing in the ship. Those guys usually don't give up anything as far as future plot goes, so wonder if they were just messing around.

A reminder that this thread is about what you DISLIKED about the season.

It's also a thread where you don't debate what people DISLIKED about the season.

That's the thread topic. Complaints about the show without repercussion.

Why would Myranda, the apparently powerful kennel masters daughter, think she could get away with sticking an arrow in the Lady of Winterfell, wife of known psycho Ramsey, son of Lord Bolton, who needs said Lady alive and well to keep the North? Because?

So something theHandWipes said in another thread got me to thinking.

Why the hell would Roose let Ramsey abuse Sansa? He's a ruthless pragmatist, he said they can't control the North through fear, so brutalizing Sansa only creates a flashpoint for Northern Resistance against his House. In the books, Ramsey was a beast in man's skin, and therefor controlling him might be difficult, not worth the potential danger, and mitigated by the fact they didn't want Northern Lords in contact with her because of the ruse.

However, a relatively happy Sansa he can put on display and it will likely appease the Northern Lords, and Show!Ramsey as part of his de-serial killer soctiopathic humanization seems to have a deep desire for Roose's approval. So how hard is it for him to take Ramsey to task on this?

From a ruthless pragmatist's perspective, zero is gained from Ramsey's abuse. Sansa is already willing to both wed and provide a child. If she wasn't, breaking her to compliance might make sense, but that isn't even necessary. This is what happens when they plug someone in without thinking the whole thing through.

Well that's the thing exactly. Roose wanted the marriage to a Stark to solidify his Warden status, yet there were no Northern lords apparent at the wedding or around Winterfell to witness the deed.

In the books fArya was locked in her room so none of the lords noticed she wasn't actually a Stark and she couldn't ask for help, but since they weren't there and Sansa hadn't been kidnapped, her being locked in the room made no sense.

It just...none of it made sense.

At the end of ADWD, Dany realizes she's heading in the wrong direction. She embraces the dragon. She's standing with him when the Dothraki approach. After he's just killed a horse, after the grass bows down before him (very symbolic, with respect to the Dothraki). And she's eating it with him.

But on the show, no such thing. She says, "Take me back to Meereen." And she's alone and surrounded by Dothraki. And she drops a ring, hoping someone will save her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMuqH7yOQc

Like two different characters.

I know Steve the Intern is a joke, but it REALLY reads sometimes like they just read a summary. I mean, both versions are, basically, "Dany takes off on Drogon, ending up far from Mereen in a vast grassland. The Dothraki come upon her there." But the difference is startling. It's entirely different, as are most of the scenarios and characters we're presented with.

I know Steve the Intern is a joke, but it REALLY reads sometimes like they just read a summary. I mean, both versions say, "Dany takes off on Drogon, ending up far from Mereen in a vast grassland. The Dothraki come upon her there." But the difference is startling. It's entirely different, as are most of the scenarios and characters we're presented with.

Well they want to tick off plot points so 80% of stuff will be completely different then the main thing happens with different reasoning and context

I know Steve the Intern is a joke, but it REALLY reads sometimes like they just read a summary. I mean, both versions are, basically, "Dany takes off on Drogon, ending up far from Mereen in a vast grassland. The Dothraki come upon her there." But the difference is startling. It's entirely different, as are most of the scenarios and characters we're presented with.

Wait... is it a joke?

Like two different characters.

Like two different stories, one told by a master, another told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Gods, every time someone posts something from the books or links to early show clips, I'm reminded of how far things have fallen.

If we're just talking about season 5 things in general - I was actually quite disappointed in Arya's storyline. I mean Maisie did a great job with what she was given, but I felt like we had all this buildup for the last for seasons - and then Arya washing dead bodies for like 7-8 episodes. It felt very cheap.

I still can't believe they butchered my favourite character Meryn Trant. And no one, not even fellow book purists seem to be concerned about this that it makes me worried. So it is horrible when they butcher a character like Stannis, but OK when they butcher Meryn Trant? You hypocrites! :crying:

Meryn Trant's a victim.

Oh, yes. And the book moment would've translated to screen perfectly. It forever confuses me that they love to give Dany "cool" one-liners so much, and they market her as a badass, but this perfect badass moment they decided to exclude.

And I've noticed that people who posted got-related gifs on their tumblrs and who were either casual viewers or maybe even didn't watch but simply reblogged cool gifs, there were lots of badass Dany gifs from early seasons on my dash but nowadays not very much. It's of course what've I've seen from only several blogs, but I wonder if book ending would've evoked more interest.

I still can't believe they butchered my favourite character Meryn Trant. And no one, not even fellow book purists seem to be concerned about this that it makes me worried. So it is horrible when they butcher a character like Stannis, but OK when they butcher Meryn Trant? You hypocrites! :crying:

Meryn Trant's a victim.

We talked about it in s5 e10 RR thread and we all felt sorry for poor Meryn :bawl:

Archived