Who is the heir to House Dustin?

James Steller

Given how far back the family history of House Dustin goes in the annals of the North, how is it that the one Dustin apparently alive is the widowed Lady Barbrey? Did she not have any children with her husband at all? Did he have no relatives?

And for the record, how did she stay a widow for so long when the elderly Lady Hornwood is being pursued by half the nobles in the North not two weeks after her husband and son die? Was Ned just too guilt-ridden about William to enforce the fact that she should remarry?

This is one of the things that bugs me, as well. Surely there are other Dustins (or Hornwoods) around that would inherit over someone who doesn't really have any claim? It's similar to if Catelyn inherited Winterfell or Sansa inherited Casterly Rock. It just doesn't make sense to me. Lady Dustin is a Ryswell by birth and only inherits Barrowton due to her marriage, so I can only conclude that there is no one anywhere near Willam Dustin in the family tree still alive. So yea, I'm not sure what's going on in terms of the heir to the House.

The Dustins are an old house, as old as the Starks. I'm guessing there's cousins, but no one dared challenge Lady Barbrey's rule. They'll take over when she's dead. Or maybe they're too young, who knows. I don't have any evidence for this, just a feeling.

It does seem strange just how many northern houses are on the brink of extinction.

I agree, it's the same with the Starks. They've been in charge of Winterfell for around 5,000 years, if that's true then you'd think you'd find them all over. I know there are cadet branches (like the Karstarks) but being around for that long you'd think you'd find them all over the place.

Archived