The Ties That Bind by Rob J. Hayes

C.T. Phipps

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1417715651l/17879131.jpg

I've recommended this series in other threads and given the number of Abercrombie fans in Literature, I thought i'd create an actual discussion thread.

The premise of the books is that Jezzet Vel'urn, the Blackthorn, and Inquisition Thanquil Darkheart (the Darkheart is a Title rather than a narmy last name) are three individuals living in a spectacularly Hyborian Age-like past. Jezzet is a blademaster who, unfortunately, must deal with the pressures of being a woman in a spectacularly unpleasant society for them. The Blackthorn is an incredibly wanted man, a killer who lives from moment-to-moment doing more or less everything as the moment pleases him. While Darkheart is an agent of a group of demon-summoning religious fanatics who has the tiny problem of his Immortal God King saying Thanquil needs to betray his superiors.

I really enjoyed the first two novels in the series and the third one as well, though I had some serious issues with it.

The Heresy Within review
The Color of Vengeance review
The Price of Faith review

I heartily recommend these books and think those who like grimdark fiction will enjoy them.

Yeah, the ending of the third book had me throw the book against the wall. I picked it up again but growled a few times.

I was really hoping for a book starring Jezzet, which, is obviously not going to happen now. It doesn't help that the previous two characters who got their own books were, IMHO, less interesting than the main one.

And I say that being a huge fan of the pair.

I just felt Jezzet's story wasn't finished being told. It doesn't help Drake Morass is getting his own book.

I sometimes think Rob J. Hayes tries a little too hard to be gritty and grim in the first book but the second book really smooths out all of the inconsistencies and is easily the best of the series. The Blackthorn's monstrous qualities are counteracted by his loyalty to his friends and they're probably the quirkiest bunch of nutbars since Firefly.

Also, really, who ever thought SWIFT would turn out to be the Ultimate Villain? The banality of evil indeed.

Wasn't a fan. This is not my best effort but it proved to be a popular review so here it is. As time went on I grew a bit less fond and never did read the second book. The magical system was pretty unique but not enough to carry it for me.

Wasn't a fan. This is not my best effort but it proved to be a popular review so here it is. As time went on I grew a bit less fond and never did read the second book. The magical system was pretty unique but not enough to carry it for me.

That was a great, snarky review.

I'm going to have to check out your site more.

:)

Be that as it may, I do think you're unnecessarily harsh on the books, however, and a few of your complaints are a bit off the mark. The idea the borderlands are meant to be the African Savannahs, for example, seems a bit off kilter since it seemed to me to be somewhere more generically "the early settled days of humanity" with no hint it's anywhere near Africa itself. I mentioned the Hyborian Age because it's a shape-less mish-mash of cultures with no real rhyme, reason, or shape. It felt more like the Mediterranean to me, honestly or Turkey to me.

I also think there's nothing particularly cartoonish about the characters or the name "blademaster", at least unlike Darkheart (which is kind of silly). I felt the books actually felt reasonably good at approximating a person to a new place and time. I also think, certainly, the best parts of the book got left out in the desire to be funny, too, as there were some truly shocking moments. The scene with the child and the demon and Thanquil was like, "Woah" for me.

Then again, I wouldn't be recommending the book if I didn't adore the action, characterization, and black humor.

My .02.

Archived