The books coming out in 2016

AncalagonTheBlack

China Miéville's novel The Last Days of New Paris will be published in 2016:

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/08/05/the-last-days-of-new-paris-china-mievilles-other-new-2016-novel/

THE LAST DAYS OF NEW PARIS is an intense and gripping tale set in an alternative universe: June 1940 following Paris’ fall to the Germans, the villa of Air-Bel in Marsailles, is filled with Trotskyists, anti-fascists, exiled artists, and surrealists. One Air-Bel dissident decides the best way to fight the Nazis is to construct a surrealist bomb. When the bomb is accidentally detonated, surrealist Cataclysm sweeps Paris and transforms it according to a violent, weaponized dream logic.

Anyone dare to offer an over/under date for just learning the release date for either Winds, Unholy Consult, or Doors of Stone?  Whichever comes first?  Will I get a release date on any of these before January 2016?

Maybe TUC. I don't see a release date being announced for Winds. 

There should be one, in order to be ahead of tv show season 6. But he's probably nowhere near far enough even now.

First Yoon Ha Lee's novel (and the first part of the trilogy) will be published by Solaris:

http://www.tor.com/2015/08/17/yoon-ha-lee-sci-fi-trilogy-the-machineries-of-empire/

Beat me to it.  ;)  I've really enjoyed her short fiction so I'm looking forward to this one. 

Christopher Priest announced on his blog that he just turned in his next novel, The Gradual.  He's also working on a new story collection.  No idea when either one will be out.

http://www.christopher-priest.co.uk/journal/2598/new-doors-open/

Blake Charlton's Spellbreaker is coming out in June 2016:

http://www.amazon.com/Spellbreaker-Blake-Charlton/dp/076531729X/

http://www.blakecharlton.com/2015/08/spellbreaker-pub-date/

I can say that Tor is currently planning to ‘re-brand’ the trilogy with Spellbreaker, meaning that the cover art and package of the book will not be in the style of Todd Lockwood‘s excellent art for the first two US books. While I am sad that we won’t get to see what Todd would have dreamed up for the cover, I am excited to discover what new direction Tor takes the series.

The Malice, which is the sequel to Peter Newman's The Vagrant, will be published next year: "Natasha Bardon, in her first acquisition for Harper Voyager, has acquired world english rights in debut SFF duology THE VAGRANT and THE MALICE by Peter Newman, from Juliet Mushens at The Agency Group London. Set in a futuristic world, yet heavily influenced by fantasy, this is a thoroughly compulsive debut full of corrupted knights and fallen sky-ships, and the mysterious figure that walks apart from all of them. Voyager will publish THE VAGRANT in hardback in Spring 2015, with THE MALICE following a year later."

Peter Newman confirms an April 2016 released for The Malice. https://twitter.com/runpetewrite/status/635074644299673601

Amazon lists it more specifically as April 21, 2016. http://www.amazon.com/Malice-Peter-Newman/dp/0007593163/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1440281919&sr=8-1&keywords=the+malice+peter+newman

Assassin's Fate is now tentatively scheduled for Spring 2017. https://mobile.twitter.com/robinhobb/status/635135519731482624
The Witchwood Crown is now March 2017 http://ostenard.com/2015/08/21/the-witchwood-crown-set-for-release-in-march-2017/

In Hobb's case completely understandable given the doorstoppers which she's just published in the space of a year.

Important to get the final book right.

In Williams' case the publishers have presented us with a very bad outcome. Very bad.

In Hobb's case completely understandable given the doorstoppers which she's just published in the space of a year.
Important to get the final book right.

In Williams' case the publishers have presented us with a very bad outcome. Very bad.

Dont you be raining on my sulking parade with things like logic and reason now...
:p

Orbit and Gollancz to publish Sharp Ends, a collection of gritty short stories by Joe Abercrombie

Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of The First Law, Joe Abercrombie

US: April 12, 2016, hardcover $28.00 / e-book $14.99

UK: April 12, 2016, hardcover £18.99/ e-book £9.99

Gollancz  and Orbit US are thrilled to announce that they will be publishing, Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of The First Law, a stunning hardback collection of superb short stories featuring best-loved characters from the world of The First Law, by Sunday Times bestselling fantasy author Joe Abercrombie. Gollancz will publish the collection in the United Kingdom and Orbit in the United States.

The short stories will be a mix of original and reissued short stories collected together for the first time, including the Locus Award-winning “Tough Times All Over.” The brand-new shorts will feature some of the most popular characters from the First Law world, including Glokta, Jezal, Logen Ninefingers, Bethod and Monza Murcatto.

Joe Abercrombie said: “I’m very pleased that some widely scattered shorts are going to be brought together in one volume along with some new stories about old friends and enemies, filling in some blanks in the map of the First Law world and offering some different perspectives on key events.  I hope readers will have as much fun revisiting some of these much-loved – and much-hated – characters as I have . . .”

The table of contents:

A Beautiful Bastard: The Union army may be full of bastards, but there’s only one big enough to think he can save the day single-handed when the Gurkish come calling: the incomparable Colonel Sand dan Glokta.

Made a Monster: After years of bloodshed, the idealistic chieftain Bethod is desperate to bring peace to the North. There’s only one obstacle left – his own lunatic champion.

Small Kindnesses: The hopes of Shevedieh, the best thief in Westport, to turn her back on crime, come crashing down when she finds a huge drunkard sleeping in her doorway. Doing the right thing always comes at a price…

The Fool Jobs: Curnden Craw has been sent with his dozen to recover a thing from beyond the Crinna. One small problem. No one seems to know what the thing is.

Skipping Town: Shevedieh and Javre, ill-matched adventurers, find themselves forced to flee yet another self-made disaster.

Hell: ‘I have seen hell, and it is a great city under siege.’ The fall of Dagoska through the eyes of a young acolyte.

Two’s Company: Javre, Lioness of Hoskopp, runs into Cracknut Whirrun on a bridge over a remote canyon. Can Shevedieh persuade either of these proud heroes to step aside?

Wrong Place, Wrong Time: Three not entirely innocent bystanders are sucked into the  chaos of Monzcarro Murcatto’s vengeance.

Some Desperado: There is no honour among thieves when the outlaw Smoke finds herself being hunted down by her own comrades.

Yesterday, Near a Village Called Barden: Royal Observer Bremer dan Gorst reports to the king on another ugly little skirmish as summer dies in the North.

Three’s a Crowd: It’s a foolish man who steals from the best thief in Styria, and when Horald the Finger steals her lover, it’s time for Shevedieh to stop running and start fighting. For those who work in the shadows, though, few things are ever quite as they seem…

Freedom: Being an absolutely true account of the liberation of the town of Averstock from the grip of the incorrigible rebel menace by the famous Nicomo Cosca.

Tough Times all Over: All Carcolf wants is to take her package from here to there, but in the city of fogs and whispers, there are always a dozen other rogues with their own ideas.

Yeah, I've got no idea what the deal with Daw is. What I hope and assume is going on is that they're having issues related specifically to The Last King of Osten Ard that won't effect their line as a whole, issues that go something like:

Daw: "So Tad Williams is writing a new series for us that follows up Memory Sorrow and Thorn."

Random Penguin [Daw's parent company, unless I've crossed my wires substantially]: "Oh hey, that might actually make an amount of money for us that is sufficient for us to pay attention and stick an oar into what your imprint is doing / give you marketing money. This is the first time this has happened since the last time that Patrick Rothfuss guy published a thing."

Daw: "Neat. So um, now that you're Penguin-Randomhouse, rather than just a humble old penguin, how does that work exactly?"

Random Penguin: "We're still kind of working on that one. We'll get back to you."

Daw: "Awesome. So we were planning to release the first book in--"

Random Penguin: "We'll get back to you."

Daw: "Oki doki."

I'm hoping that's all it is.

The Abercrombie sounds most excellent. Posting links from this machine is a major pain, but the links Jussi kindly posted the other day for Walton's Necessity etc on amazon Canada prompted me to search there for other upcoming Tor shit, and it looks like the site has most of Tor's current version of their spring / summer up, with a couple weeks looking barren enough that a bit more will probably be added. Of note in addition to what Jussi pointed out: High Stakes, the new Wild Cards mosaic novel and the closing book in the current arc, in August. Everfair, award-winning short fiction writer Nisi Shawl's "cotton punk" [steampunk examining imperialism / colonialism] novel, also in August. Max Gladstone's next Craft Sequence book is currently entitled Four Roads Cross [though important caveat: Gladstone himself does not yet appear to have announced this] and is slated for July. Gladstone's Craft books should be major events in the fantasy community whenever they come out and why they are not is opaque to me. Too Like the Lightning, the start of what's apparently a philosophical novel / future history series by singer and academic and general Renaissance woman Ada Palmer, in May. Jo Walton has been talking up this book on the internet for some time. Nice arresting title too -- it was Servants of the World for a while apparently, which I think is less distinctive; glad they changed it back. And, in a bit of curious but potentially awesome semi-randomness, Claudia Christian, who played Susan Ivonova in Babylon 5, has written a Romans in space novel called Wolf's Empire. Out in June.

Oh and Wesley I Won Da Campbell Chu's sequel to Time Salvager is called Time Siege and it's out in July. And Victor Milan's sequel to The Dinosaur Lords is The Dinosaur Knights and it's out at a time in the spring which now escapes me because I don't care. [More seriously, because I know some people will care about this news: pretty sure it was May. I think Milan's done great work on Wild Cards and the idea for the book sounds totally fun, but I just can't get excited about it and I don't know why.]

@Maester Llama

Another Tor book of interest coming out in June 2016 is Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older.

It's been twenty years and two election cycles since Information, a powerful search engine monopoly, pioneered the switch from warring nation-states to global microdemocracy. The corporate coalition party Heritage has won the last two elections. With another election on the horizon, the Supermajority is in tight contention, and everything's on the line.

With power comes corruption. For Ken, this is his chance to do right by the idealistic Policy1st party and get a steady job in the big leagues. For Domaine, the election represents another staging ground in his ongoing struggle against the pax democratica. For Mishima, a dangerous Information operative, the whole situation is a puzzle: how do you keep the wheels running on the biggest political experiment of all time, when so many have so much to gain?

All three begin to realize that not everyone plans to play fair at the next election. The Liberty party is ascending on the back of subtle promises of warfare, and Heritage will do anything to keep itself in power. A perfect storm is brewing, one that might bring the new world order to its knees.

"A fast-paced, post-cyberpunk political thriller... If you always wanted to put West Wing Aaron Sorkin in a particle accelerator with Snow Crash to see what would happen, read this book."-Max Gladstone, author of the Craft Sequence

MALKA OLDER is a writer, humanitarian worker, and PhD candidate at the Centre de Sociologie des Organisations studying governance and disasters. Named Senior Fellow for Technology and Risk at the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs for 2015, she has more than eight years of experience in humanitarian aid and development, and has responded to complex emergencies and natural disasters in Uganda, Darfur, Indonesia, Japan, and Mali. Infomocracy is her first novel.

Archived