pancakes or waffles?

Quorra

I think I got my edit in before you, we'll call it a tie

Haha, shoot, I didn't see your edit when I posted! You got it in a minute before me, I think that makes you the winner :P

I don't like eggy French toast quite as much, but that's one of the nice things about French toast -- you can switch things up per your personal taste, thus making it the most versatile and delicious of the golden triangle of bready breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, French toast)

Pancakes, waffles, French toast, and crêpes are all delicious. The others, like potato pancakes, are different beasts. In fact, I would argue that crêpes are quite different as well. Of those four, I see no margin in picking favorites. One place I will not compromise is syrup -- if you're using syrup, have some self-respect and use proper maple syrup, not "pancake syrup" from the likes of Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin. I eat them all sparingly, of course, since they're pretty heavy breakfasts. For pancakes I like Mark Bittman's recipe.

If you don't want egg in your French toast, a suggestion: milk, a hint of vanilla, and a little corn starch. Obviously not recommended for the lactose-intolerant. The corn starch thickens it up and gives it the body it needs.

I recently started making my very own American pancakes (crepes suck), and they are delicious. With crispy streaky bacon and maple syrup. Yum.

My SO prefers waffles, usually with chocolate and ice cream. Like Helena, I think potato waffles are where it's at.

Potato waffles gone soggy with bean juice is the stuff of my school dinner memories :cool4:

eta: should also add I only like crepes. Do not like pancakes, french toast or sweet waffles

Potato waffles gone soggy with bean juice is the stuff of my school dinner memories :cool4:

eta: should also add I only like crepes. Do not like pancakes, french toast or sweet waffles

My best childhood memory is my aunt making crepes with nutella. Very simple, and yet so delicious.

Let's cut the crap here.  Pancakes, waffles and french toast are all desserts.  If you are going to have dessert as a meal, just own up to it. 

Pancakes are the closest approximation to a breakfast food but they are still a dessert.  Putting on a side of bacon doesn't change that fact.

If you want strawberries and whipped cream, go right ahead.  Put them on a waffle, what do I care?  But don't claim it as a breakfast meal, at best it is a breakfast dessert.

Because I see this distinction, I would endorse pancakes over waffles for breakfast but that doesn't mean that pancakes are superior to waffles.  Also, waffles with fruit are not superior or inferior to shortcake with fruit.

Complaints about imitation maple syrup are elitist.  I know people who participate in the gathering of the maple sap and its distillation who still consider real maple syrup a luxury.  It's not poor taste, it's economy.

My bottle of maple syrup cost me £8. That's real enough for me.

Pancakes & bacon is a very flexible meal. But it's not dessert to me.

Did you not hear about the Great Canadian maple syrup caper? 

Flapjacks and waffles are both delicious when prepared well, and have a million different delicious toppings.  Also, johnny cakes are great too.  

A friend's dad used to make pancakes that were crispy on the outside and then runny batter in the middle that were fantastic, although I'm embarrassed to type the name they used for these.

I love chocolate chip and banana pancakes, blueberry pancakes, waffles with strawberries and yogurt, chocolate covered waffles, etc.  

I call false dichotomy.

Call it breakfast or dessert, waffles are delish. Even when they're bad, they're good.

I'm not a big French toast fan, nor do I like pancakes much. In the case of French toast, I'd just as soon have my eggs unadulterated by bread. And as for pancakes, as someone said upthread, they're tough to get absolutely right.

However, I do make all three. My husband loves them all, whereas I would rather have a simple bowl of Cinnamon Pecan Special K with some good blueberries in season. Or a **genuine** toasted bagel with cream cheese and lox. THAT'S heaven. :drool:

Unfortunately, I usually have the breakfast of champions... coffee.

I can't tell you how much I love this board. usually when I see this argued, pancakes are a clear winner and waffles are laughed out of the room.

Yeah, I'm a waffle girl. But as litechick said, they are sweets and I prefer a savory breakfast. I have waffles more for dinner than I ever do for breakfast.

Archived