POV structure of TWoW

Sir popelor

Sooo Martin has a lot of POV's to talk about in just one book (he says 13 but we know it's just at the beginning) and he sayd that some of them will not make it.

Seeing how it's difficult for him to put so many characters in one book (example in that is AFFC/ADWD) here's how the Pov's structure will probably be (only at the beginning):

After the prologue we'll probably get the Theon chapter, Tyrion I, Barristan I, everything that will involve the preparations for the battle of Winterfell and the Battle of Mereen, maybe with some other chapters like Arianne I and a Melisandre chapter to tell us what's going on with Jon.

The battle of Winterfell will probably happen off-POV, with maybe Asha telling us what happened (Or Areon hearing what happened, or again Mel or Jon)

The battle of Mereen I would space it in four or five chapters, in the POVs of Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion (and one of them will not make it alive), more chapters if Dany is coming back fast (but don't think so)

After this two big ones, we can loosen up a bit and see how are the other characters are doing, with the Alayne and Mercy POVs, Cercei, Arianne, Davos, maybe Brienne(I'm thinking more Jaimie)

And since we don't know the plot itself, after this is all gonna be a wild guess.

:leer:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there will any more Jon POV chapters. The Jon as we know him is gone forever. We will see Jon again but from other POVs.

I think that is unlikely, since the main players all have POVs (And Jon will stay a main player). So we get a POV from Jon, that is for sure. I think his first POV, will not come from Jon though, but GhostJon (Warged)

I think that is unlikely, since the main players all have POVs (And Jon will stay a main player). So we get a POV from Jon, that is for sure. I think his first POV, will not come from Jon though, but GhostJon (Warged)

Robb was a main player. So is Stannis. Ned has a smaller role, and he got his own PoV.

another aspect in the upcoming novel is the hunt for Darkstar. I believe Hotah will accompanies Obara and Balon since he is an establish POV. Another is Sam in Oldtown and Lastly Jon Connington,

Well... the hunt for Darkstar i forgot about, but could be interesting if they find what I think (Dawn=Lightbringer anyone?).

I don't think we will get a Sam POV anytime before the second half of the book, and for JonCon the two Arianne chapters make me think she is going to be the major POV in Aegon's story.

Well... the hunt for Darkstar i forgot about, but could be interesting if they find what I think (Dawn=Lightbringer anyone?).

I don't think we will get a Sam POV anytime before the second half of the book, and for JonCon the two Arianne chapters make me think she is going to be the major POV in Aegon's story.

they would have to go to Starfall before high hermatage and you can bet we see edric dayne there since he left BHWB. I agree about Arianne being the central POV in the stormlands. Personally, i think Aegon is a Blackfyre and GRRM would not make it easy for the golden company to capture storms end and march to KL.

^Star Fall seems completely out of the way to me...?

First thing we gotta realize is that some POV's are about to bite the bullet.  Victarion for 1, possibly Asha for 2, Barristan is definitely at risk as well, and so is Brienne.  Jon Con will surely be dead by the end of the book, and Jon is not going to have any chapters at least for a long time.

I think the story opens with the Theon Sample chapter, since it takes place some time before the battle, and then the entire battle of Mereen will happen with 1 short interruption at most.  Then I think we will get the battle of ice and then things will open up, Dorne, KL, Riverlands, Vale, I don't expect an early Arya chapter, Sam either.  The more time passes before their chapters the more they can have trained in the time between, Sam can have gotten his first link or 3, or however many we know he can already probably pass, Ravens, math, etc, and Aryas sample makes it clear she has been with the mummers for some time.

Sooo Martin has a lot of POV's to talk about in just one book (he says 13 but we know it's just at the beginning) and he sayd that some of them will not make it.

Correction.  He said 13.  But by the end, fewer (which implies some of the 13 might not make it).

13 is alot of POVs.

Correction.  He said 13.  But by the end, fewer (which implies some of the 13 might not make it).

13 is alot of POVs.

Yea, no way this sticks, unless GRRM completely drops plot lines, which is something I doubt he wants to do.

Yea, no way this sticks, unless GRRM completely drops plot lines, which is something I doubt he wants to do.

Why would any plotlines need to be dropped?  Only POVs need to cease, and for that, all that is needed is for threads to start coming together.

It is silly to think as though with 13 POVs you can only have 13 characters.  

I'm wondering hot he's going to have only 13. In the previous books we've had the following:

Arya

Bran

Arriane

Sansa

Jon

Aeron

Theon

Asha

Areo

Barristan

Victorian

Tyrion

Dany

Jaime

Brienne

Cersei

JonCon

Mel

Sam

(I may be missing some that are still alive)

This is 19 POV's

Even if we drop some of these by combining plot lines that run concurrent we have:

Jon/Mel

Jaime/Brienne

Arriane/JonCon

Asha/Theon

We are still at 15, Now I didn't put Tyrion/Barristan/Victorian together because we know all three are already confirmed POV's from reading's and they would count towards the total POV's.

I could see 13 by the end of the book, but the beginning? That's a stretch,

Why would any plotlines need to be dropped?  Only POVs need to cease, and for that, all that is needed is for threads to start coming together.

It is silly to think as though with 13 POVs you can only have 13 characters.  

Explain? I assume you are stating that the 13 POVs also count the ones that will be killed off?

Sansa

Arya

Arriane

Aeron

Theon

Vic

Barristan

Tryion

That's 8 right there. Dany and Cercie are pretty much guarantied. So that just leaves 3 POVs, again assuming new POVs aren't going to replace the doomed ones that is.

Explain? I assume you are stating that the 13 POVs also count the ones that will be killed off?

Yes.  GRRM does not count "one off" prologues and eplilogues, but he counts everyone else.  Hence, his count for DANCE was 16 POVs.

Take 8 confirmed POVs, add Bran and Dany because they are of the "big 6" and we have 10.

No-one else is essential, so its just a matter of making guesses as to the remaining 3.  I am inclined to agree with you that Cersei is in, so that leaves 2 more.

From then on its guesswork as to those that remain.  But once your count exceeds 13, then you are assuming you know better than GRRM, and at that point, IMHO, there is something wrong with your thinking.  Yeah sure, he could always change his mind, and it is theoretically possible that he COULD miscount, but odds are he still knows better than you.  So work with 13.

I'm wondering hot he's going to have only 13. In the previous books we've had the following:

Arya

Bran

Arriane

Sansa

Jon

Aeron

Theon

Asha

Areo

Barristan

Victorian

Tyrion

Dany

Jaime

Brienne

Cersei

JonCon

Mel

Sam

(I may be missing some that are still alive)

This is 19 POV's

Even if we drop some of these by combining plot lines that run concurrent we have:

Jon/Mel

Jaime/Brienne

Arriane/JonCon

Asha/Theon

We are still at 15, Now I didn't put Tyrion/Barristan/Victorian together because we know all three are already confirmed POV's from reading's and they would count towards the total POV's.

I could see 13 by the end of the book, but the beginning? That's a stretch,

Simple.  Jaime appeared in Book1.  But he did not have a POV.  Just use your imagination.

Samwell has already disappeared off radar, after we saw a faceless assassin leading him to his doom.  Assume that will continue, and we will next see him (or his doppleganger) in another character's POV.

Brienne has already disappeared off radar.  We did NOT find out what happened to her after Stoneheart hanged her.  Instead she showed up in another character's POV without knowing what happened in the interim.  Assume that will continue.

Jaime has disappeared off radar.  He expected to go only a days ride, but he has been missing already for weeks and months in Kevan's POV.  Whatever happened to him in his own POV, we have missed it.  GRRM wants to keep us in the dark, placing us in the position of characters who don't know what happened to him and are wondering when and where he will show up again.  We will find out what happened to him when other POV characters find out.  And they can find out in their own POVs.

Hotah, JonCon and Mel are probably limited purpose POVs, & have probably told us all GRRM wants us to know.  Hotah's purpose, for instance, is to give us limited information about Doran without giving us access to his inner thoughts.

That leaves 8 confirmed POVs:

Aeron, Arya, Sansa, Barristan, Victarion, Arianne, Theon, Tyrion.

Plus Bran & Dany because they are of the "big 6" (leaving Jon as unconfirmed) = 10 POVs.

Add Cersei, just because I am sure that sadistic bastard GRRM will make her go down in her own POV = 11 POVs.

For the last two, take your pick of Davos, Jon Snow and Asha.  I'm going with Davos and Jon Snow/Ghost. 

^ I think your over thinking things man. I honestly doubt GRRM is just going to drop Jamie and Sam's plot line in the next book.

I mean who really knows, but I doubt it's something wants to do.

^ I think your over thinking things man. I honestly doubt GRRM is just going to drop Jamie and Sam's plot line in the next book.

You are misunderstanding.  I never suggested he would drop any plotlines.  Just POVs.  Jaime's plotline started in Book 1 (without a POV), and will probably continue in Book 6 (possibly without a POV).

My guesses are not necessarily correct.  But at least I am working with what GRRM said.  It is those who assume they know better who are overthinking.

You are misunderstanding.  I never suggested he would drop any plotlines.  Just POVs.  Jaime's plotline started in Book 1, and will probably continue in Book 6.

So you think some other POV will visit the River Lands, get captured by the BwB and Jamie's story will continue like that? It's possible I guess, but I'm not sure how it would work.

Archived