What does Rickon/Shaggydog's behaviour tell us?

Daevyd Targaryen

The last book is titled "A Dream of Spring" for one.

You forget however... The last 2 books were building up. ASoS was shit going down. So TWoW will have a lot of things going down... I hope

But the title of the laat book does worry me...

He is a Warg, he also had the same dream as Bran once too IIRC.

He was younger and less mentally mature than his other siblings and had less control of his Wolf because of it, like a child they act more on instinct than thought. Rickon also has more of the "Wolf Blood" than any of his other siblings.  All the wolves seemed to share traits to their partners, Sansa & Lady were the most gentle, Jon & Ghost were different, Rickon & Shaggy were the wildest. We never saw as much of Nymeria and Greywind but Nym seems more independent craving her old pack so she makes a new one.

It was bad giving Rickon such an influential animal companion at such a young age. He is at a critical stage of human development but instead of learning from humans, he is picking up on animal behaviours....and Shaggy Dog is not the best influence.  
The situation is so bad because he can warg into Shaggy dog and his childhood has been unsettling. I wouldn't be surprised if Rickon is more wolf than boy when we see him again.

I suppose

It was bad giving Rickon such an influential animal companion at such a young age. He is at a critical stage of human development but instead of learning from humans, he is picking up on animal behaviours....and Shaggy Dog is not the best influence.  
The situation is so bad because he can warg into Shaggy dog and his childhood has been unsettling. I wouldn't be surprised if Rickon is more wolf than boy when we see him again.

I suppose, but it is quite fortunate having Osha as a mentor. And I think Shaggydog will calm down eventually once he and Rickon mature

Rickon suffered a lot of emotional trauma at an age where he was too young to process most of it. I've always seen Shaggydog's aggression as a reflection of the storm brewing inside of Rickon. I also agree with those who have said Shaggy's wolf traits had a larger affect on Rickon because of his young age.

Rickon and his wolf are both wild, which ties in well with the fact that he's being looked after by Osha, a wildling.  While Rickon is going to be too young to be a great war hero or anything like that (unless GRRM ads a very long passage of time somewhere in the last two novels), it seems like he might actually be key to an alliance between the North and Wildlings.

If North believes that there should always be a Stark in Winterfell, and a Stark boy presumed dead returns after many years, that is going to be significant to the moral of the North.  And if it's found that Rickon is alive thanks to the aid a Wildling, it might heavily change the negative perception that the Wildlings have on the south side of the wall. 

Rickon and his wolf are both wild, which ties in well with the fact that he's being looked after by Osha, a wildling.  While Rickon is going to be too young to be a great war hero or anything like that (unless GRRM ads a very long passage of time somewhere in the last two novels), it seems like he might actually be key to an alliance between the North and Wildlings.

If North believes that there should always be a Stark in Winterfell, and a Stark boy presumed dead returns after many years, that is going to be significant to the moral of the North.  And if it's found that Rickon is alive thanks to the aid a Wildling, it might heavily change the negative perception that the Wildlings have on the south side of the wall. 

I could see him returning and be a throwback to the old Stark line of strong, honorable and valiant leaders, with a vicious streak when crossed. Just the kind of leader the entrenched  northern peoples would follow and the the type that the new population of freefolk would respect too.

Archived