GRRM on Emmy nominations

robasp2

Lol. There are many, many, many other writers who if given the budget that Dumb & Dumber have could have done far better with the show. What they've done considering that budget and the other resources and talent at their disposal is mediocre at best.

Because of that high production value it would be hard for even a mediocre effort to not be entertaining at times as the show is, but it has nothing to do with their efforts and the writing and plot holes in this past season were especially bad.

I agree with Season 5, it was disgusting but I do not know if GRRM could really do or would do anything else but say something posetive out of his mouth or type it out.

I said last season generally since I think many poster will have that view with each subsequent season. While the ones prior get varied depending on the poster. So attempting to keep with a general theme.;)

If Martin does not want to speak negative due to he think it will be in inappropriate that will mean he wants to respect the decision D&D made for adaptation.

Agreed, it is an adaptation of his work so he has to be a team player but everyone who pays attention knows that he is not in agreement with the adaptation by D&D 100%.

Well, no, he doesn't. There are plenty of authors who very publicly criticize the adaptations of their work. There are authors who absolutely refuse to sell the rights to any more of their books because they hate an adaptation so much. I'm also not saying that he does or does not like the show, because I really don't know, but the notion that he can't criticize it is silly.

^he's an executive producer on the show.  He has an ongoing contract, and he's pitching new projects to HBO.

You're right that we have no idea what he thinks of the show and its wrong to presume.

The sets, costumes, actors are (almost) all top-notch.  Special effects for a TV show are extraordinary.  Just wish they hired better writers.

We have no idea of what he thinks of the show.

Except he either defends it or praises every time he talks about it. But apparently there is a "cold war" between him in the showrunners based off him not going far enough defending and praising the show. Smh.

Well, no, he doesn't. There are plenty of authors who very publicly criticize the adaptations of their work. There are authors who absolutely refuse to sell the rights to any more of their books because they hate an adaptation so much. I'm also not saying that he does or does not like the show, because I really don't know, but the notion that he can't criticize it is silly.

I think he has been fairly restrained and has done so for a reason. Yes, he could go further but I do not blame him for making posetive statements when the show received 24 Nominations.

GRRM should be thanking D&D for making anyone give a fuck about his books.

They're great books, don't get me wrong, but all this mainstream success he loves to get is all thanks to the show.

First rule of film and TV making is - Nobody knows anything. Nobody knows what will be a hit and what will be a miss and popular adaptations are notoriously difficult to pull off as they are completely different mediums which most people who have not written a good screenplay will ever understand. That is why tired sequels and prequels are so readily made, they are guaranteed money makers and TV and film is a business first and foremost, with many hundreds of people's jobs at stake all the time, this is not just about art and entertainment, that is actually a pleasant by-product. Profit and salary is paramount as with any industry. 

GRRM is well aware of this and wrote ASOIAF in such an epic and wide scoping style that he thought he would never even be approached to adapt, but when DD came to him with real passion and no doubt a very faithful outline/synopsis for season 1, GRRM decided to give them a go. And seasons 1-3 are incredibly faithful to the books, probably the most faithful I have ever seen, and I'm sure GRRM couldn't believe it actually happened.

Season 4 started to veer off somewhat and season 5 for sure, but this was really inevitable given that the books were not easily adaptable, and also not so many new characters can keep being introduced without losing a TV audience who are not as invested as book readers who also have much more time and source material so they can take on much more new info.

And thus events and characters have to be merged or skipped altogether, and the main focus has to be on the 2 or 3 main storylines, ie Jon, Dany, Tyrion, and thus secondary characters like Sansa and Stannis get changed for the purposes of TV. GRRM knows this and that is why he will not be overtly critical of the process and is still probably really chuffed that 1-3 and most of 4 were excellently done.

Criticism of season 5 is a good thing I think because 5 does have a different feel than to the others and more of a DD rather than GRRM feel and so I hope DD can take the criticisms on board and reign in their egos and write 6 and 7 with more of a thought to GRRM and his style and how the first 3 were written.

Honestly I don't really care what George RR Martin thinks about the show because it has no impact on what I think about the show.
George RR Martin isn't going to change my opinion on whether "bad pussy" is a good writing or whether Sansa's plot makes sense, or Brienne waiting for a candle is good use of her character or whether Chekov's Olly was heavy-handed or Dorne birthmark is good dialogue.
I'm not so insecure that I need his agreement to feel justified in my opinion.

George has many reasons to love the show not the least of which is that it's making him a ton of money.

Honestly I don't really care what George RR Martin thinks about the show because it has no impact on what I think about the show.
George RR Martin isn't going to change my opinion on whether "bad pussy" is a good writing or whether Sansa's plot makes sense, or Brienne waiting for a candle is good use of her character or whether Chekov's Olly was heavy-handed or Dorne birthmark is good dialogue.
I'm not so insecure that I need his agreement to feel justified in my opinion.

George has many reasons to love the show not the least of which is that it's making him a ton of money.

Pretty much this. I largerly disregard george on the show. He is New Jesery in a nut shell when commenting on the show- his opinion is with his bank account. All I care about is his books.

Oh I don't feel sorry for any of them. Both have wildly succeeded at what they do to a level no one here will ever come close to. It's a shame they have, in faithfully creating season after season, finally caught up to George the Late, and in doing so have brought down the wrath of a book purist mob on this site. But who cares. They don't read this site and I don't blame them.

Oh I don't feel sorry for any of them. Both have wildly succeeded at what they do to a level no one here will ever come close to. It's a shame they have, in faithfully creating season after season, finally caught up to George the Late, and in doing so have brought down the wrath of a book purist mob on this site. But who cares. They don't read this site and I don't blame them.

They are sure talent enough to do a decent job as long as they have the guidance of GRRM's book, I will give you that

Oh I don't feel sorry for any of them. Both have wildly succeeded at what they do to a level no one here will ever come close to. It's a shame they have, in faithfully creating season after season, finally caught up to George the Late, and in doing so have brought down the wrath of a book purist mob on this site. But who cares. They don't read this site and I don't blame them

I'm trying to imagine the cognitive dissonance that I'd cause in your mind when I point out that season 5 is (supposedly) based on published material.

Everybody's hella rich, so no one gives a fuck

Basically.

George Nartin is too busy being a celeb to write the books, Benioff and Weiss wouldn't be adapting other people's work if they had the drive and talent to write a genre-redefining series, the last two seasons are going to be utter shit, and one of the people responsible for it will be chilling in the bahamas between two nerd conventions while the other two will be sniffing blow and their own farts somewhere in Hollywood.

A morality tale for our time I suppose.

Archived