Illogical events in both show and books.

Red Typer of Dorne

Just got this idea from the 'constructive criticism' thread. There are a lot of examples of events that people think are illogical in the show but some have counterparts in the books, for example, people (including me) argue that Ramsay's '20 good men was a stretch, whilst at the same time excepting Barristan can rescue Aerys on his own.

In the interest of fairness I thought I would create a thread where everyone could put forward examples of what they believe to be illogical or even impossible events and debate them with other members.

I would make a plea that posters respect each other and keep debate civil, people will have different opinions to you and a lot of the time it will be impossible to change other posters minds. This is not an excuse to insult each other or indeed GRRM or D&D, both are undertaking a huge task, insulting them because you disagree with their decisions just comes across as trollish and violates the rules of posting for this forum.

It's probably me being a bit thick but why would Varys and Illyrio support and protect a Targaryen AND a Blackfyre? Viserys and Aegon? This situation precedes Dany hatching the dragons.

Viserys attacks with drogos horde the dothraki are beaten rather easily being unarmoured horsemen armed with sickles and bows. The remaining dothraki loot and rape for years.

Robert dies and the wolf and the lion go at it as the realm tears itself apart In comes aegon the son of valiant Rhaegar to fix it all.

Viserys attacks with drogos horde the dothraki are beaten rather easily being unarmoured horsemen armed with sickles and bows. The remaining dothraki loot and rape for years.

Robert dies and the wolf and the lion go at it as the realm tears itself apart In comes aegon the son of valiant Rhaegar to fix it all.

Aegon has the better claim IF he is Rhaegar;s son. So either Viserys is just a patsy or  Faegon is  being lined up as a 'plan B'? What would Varys and Illyrio do with Aegon IF Viserys had successfully taken the IT? 

Aegon has the better claim IF he is Rhaegar;s son. So either Viserys is just a patsy or  Faegon is  being lined up as a 'plan B'? What would Varys and Illyrio do with Aegon IF Viserys had successfully taken the IT? 

Viserys for me is a patsy if he had somehow taking the throne I guess varys and Illyrio have a weird party where they're kind of happy but not really before JonCon strangles both of them

Rodrick cassel acting as regent of the north wit the military skills of a banana and iq of 68

Seconding, thirding and fourthing this.  Times a million.  Rodrick defies any reasonable military doctrine with his actions at Torrhen's Square.  Followed up closely by Balon Greyjoy's inability to understand the most basic version of game theory.

The show has, in recent season, so many numerous and varied I'm not going into all of them because 20 good men is a trump card of idiocy.  It literally goes against everything estabilished in the narrative to that point and the laws of physics themselves.  And we aren't breaking the laws of physics because Dragons, no we are breaking them because Ramsey.

I never really got why Arya didn't just tell Roose she was Arya. I mean he just beat the Lannisters out of Harrenhall and she HAD to know that Roose is one of her family's biggest banners. Also Arya conveniently not using her 3 magic kills on Tywin or Gregor until it was too late. Huge misteps in aCoK. Probably the thing that bothered me most in the books from a logic stand point.

Seconding, thirding and fourthing this.  Times a million.  Rodrick defies any reasonable military doctrine with his actions at Torrhen's Square.  Followed up closely by Balon Greyjoy's inability to understand the most basic version of game theory.

The show has, in recent season, so many numerous and varied I'm not going into all of them because 20 good men is a trump card of idiocy.  It literally goes against everything estabilished in the narrative to that point and the laws of physics themselves.  And we aren't breaking the laws of physics because Dragons, no we are breaking them because Ramsey.

Which is worse rodrick or ramsay I'm actually leaning towards rodrick a knight for 30 or 40 years leaving the northern capital/heirs with 10 guards to fight a few hundred ironborn then doing the same at torhenns square after beating them and letting enough escape to take torhenns square.

I never really got why Arya didn't just tell Roose she was Arya. I mean he just beat the Lannisters out of Harrenhall and she HAD to know that Roose is one of her family's biggest banners. Also Arya conveniently not using her 3 magic kills on Tywin or Gregor until it was too late. Huge misteps in aCoK. Probably the thing that bothered me most in the books from a logic stand point.

Because she has amazing telekinetic powers and knew that Roose was going to betray and kill her brother in the next book?

It's probably me being a bit thick but why would Varys and Illyrio support and protect a Targaryen AND a Blackfyre? Viserys and Aegon? This situation precedes Dany hatching the dragons.

a) Aegon is not necessarily a Blackfyre. B) They are playing safe. They can support both but only one need to arrive safely in Westeros. And Aegon seems to have been the one they always prefered because he was more easily to influence through his education.

The thing with the dragon-eggs made no sense, Typer of Dorne has the right of it, especially since Illyrio doubted Dany would even survive her marriage. So why throw out so much money?

Huh... now my call. Counting all plotholes I've seen in five seasons of GoT would be a tedious affair.

Books: But it's mostly in the "Come on, you can't be so stupid!"-department like Robb marrying Jeyne because of his "What would my father do" and "I don't want a possible bastard to live like Jon" attitude. It seemed like heavy-handed railroading towards the Red Wedding to me. And then there was Dany trusting the crazy witch who was gangraped by the sworn swords of the men she told her to save. And then there were the Astapori slavers selling their entire insanely obedient army to a Targaryen conquerer making themselves totally defenseless in the process.

Show: The entirety of season 5. Tysha having never existed after three season of foreshadowing for the moment she gets important for. Tyrion going to his father's solar instead of rushing to safety. Jaime and Cersei not estranging inspite of all the setup being exactly there. Robb taking his wife to the Red Wedding to spite Frey even more. Oberyn literally living in a brothel. Arya not naming Tywin to Jaqen despite being in a far more comfortable situation to do so. The entire existance of Talisa... I could get many more if I tried, but I get bored...

I'll admit one in the show that confounds me is what happened to all of the prisoners that were being kept at Castle Black after Stannis subdues Mance's army at the end of season 4? I believe early in season 5 Stannis asks Jon what he intends to do with all of the prisoners. I think this also might have been because of lack of budget. 

The thing with the dragon-eggs made no sense, Typer of Dorne has the right of it, especially since Illyrio doubted Dany would even survive her marriage. So why throw out so much money?

For the message it sends to the other Pentoshis present at the wedding. "Look at Illyrio, he's so rich he can afford to offer three dragon eggs!" And he may have some more for Aegon.

For the message it sends to the other Pentoshis present at the wedding. "Look at Illyrio, he's so rich he can afford to offer three dragon eggs!" And he may have some more for Aegon.

But could he not have achieved the same with 2 eggs and give 1 to (f)Aegon? He didn't know they would hatch but giving an egg to (f)Aegon would mean he had something more than just Targ like features.

But could he not have achieved the same with 2 eggs and give 1 to (f)Aegon? He didn't know they would hatch but giving an egg to (f)Aegon would mean he had something more than just Targ like features.

They don't prove anything though they're just eggs anybody could buy them with enough gold

Archived